“Unsanitary”

Smalltown
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Unsanitary”
Reviewed June 20, 2014

Went here on 6-19-2014 only because they ran out of chicken at KFC. Got there about 15-20mins before close and 2 male employees were working. Had to repeat the order multiple times but remained courteous to them. Wasn't complicated just asked for no gravy on one of the sides of mashed potatoes. They were rude and seemed very bothered to have had their cell phone time interrupted. Wasn't sure but think we saw them pour cleaning product into food containers. After watching take our food to the back we thought they were probably getting forks and napkins for us. However when we got home there were x's marked all over the mashed potato containers. When we opened them, there was a strange liquid floating on top with a sour odor. Threw them away. It looked suspicious and thought it could possibly be contaminated with something that smelled like urine or cleaning product. Don't go to this location!! It looks like those 2 employees have no work ethic and could potentially be a health department liability!!! Steer clear!!!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Sbell129

Amarillo, Texas
“Bad - Very Bad”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I was just around the corner from this location tonight & had not eaten all day so I stopped in & ordered the liver dinner. I waited for 30 minutes, it was busy when I left but not when I arrived. It looked really dirty, a bucket & bottle of cleaning fluid on the counter, food all over the floor & the employees did not all seem the most sanitary either - but I was starving. When I finally got my food I took one out - & it was a gizzard, not a liver. Deja Vu, I now recall having this problem from here before, getting half gizzards. I specified all liver. Anyway, I took out a second piece, & it was GREEN & slimy. I took it up to the girl who appeared to be the supervisor, & showed her. She asked if I wanted it replaced, & told me this would take a really long time (Like 30 minutes already isn't), or if I wanted my money back. I opted for the refund. I drove down I-40 to the Grand location which seemed much cleaner, ordered the same thing plus a drink at this one. I hardly had time to sit down & it was ready. All livers, all cooked. And it was about 3 bucks cheaper, even though I had added a drink.
GO TO THE GRAND LOCATION, NOT THE COULTER LOCATION. I had forgotten that it is always much better, cleaner, & gets the orders right.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank TxSage17
Amarillo, Texas
“Sweet tea the southern way!”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

The chicken is fresh and the tea is sweet just the way God intended! There are many side items to choose from and they are always fresh.

Visited August 2012
Southern States
“Dont Judge a Book”
Reviewed June 15, 2012

After many passes by this place for the past few days, curiosity won out. A chicken place in a gas station on I40 and Coulter, this had the makings for great or grisly. Fortunately the first option came to pruition. A two piece chicken box had more meat than the other guys larger orders and the pieces were readily identifiable. The combo came with 1 side and a quart beverage. I chose the Italian green beans as they were out of corn on the cob. The only negative of this visit,, no corn. The beans were piping hot and flavorful. They were huge, and the serving was a packed 8 oz. container, enough for two. The chicken was steaming, juicy, tender, I don't have the words! The crispy crust was thin almost tempura feel properly seasoned but letting the flavor of the chicken shine through. I also received a non description order of fried okra, although frozen kind it had more flavor than most, it was a temperature issue.The next time you spot the rubber chicken logo, stop!!!

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank franklinmilford
Fairland, Oklahoma
“Not So Good”
Reviewed March 12, 2012

We were traveling and had stopped in Amarillo because of a problem with a tire. They recommended Chicken Express. Once inside, we weren't really impressed with what we saw sitting on the counter. My husband ordered the 7 piece chicken strip with french fries and drink. I ordered the 4 piece with french fries and a drink. When we got on the road and started to eat, one box had 4 strips, fries, bisquit and container of gravy, and the other box was the same except it had 5 strips of chicken. We had no idea there would be gravy so we didn't pick up forks and none were provided in the boxes. There was no honey for the bisquits. They gave no napkins so it was a good thing that I had picked up some. The chicken lacked any flavor and was very dry. The cold french fries had more taste than the chicken. We had no way to eat the gravy, and the bisquit was pretty hard. For the price we paid for the meal, its sad because we ended up throwing most of it in the trash because it was terrible. Will we go back next time we pass thru Amarillo? No way...............

• Visited March 2012