“Good Italian food” 4 of 5 bubbles

Macaroni Joes
Ranked #20 of 501 Restaurants in Amarillo
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: I-40 and Georgia (NW corner)
Description: Macaroni Joe's is a locally owned and operated establishment and has been serving its customers since 1999. Come enjoy the finest dining that Amarillo has to offer. We specialize in world fusion with an emphasis on Italian Steaks and Seafood. We have a Wine Spectator award wining wine list, with over 400 selections from around the world. We are proud to offer the most well rounded wine program in all of West Texas. We are the only restaurant in the region to provide a House Sommelier to assist you with your wine selection. We are Amarillo's Premier Dining Destination.
Amarillo, Texas
“Good Italian food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

Went here for an interview. The food was great. You can never go wrong with Italian food. It would be a nice place to take a date to.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
kevinAmarillo, General Manager at Macaroni Joes, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a great review. We do get a lot of anniversaries and proposals that come through our doors. We take it with the up most pleasure to be the place for our guest on there special day. Again thank you so much and we hope to see you back in our restaurant.

Dallas, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“excellent personal service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014

My husband and I enjoyed our meal at Macaroni Joe's very much, the food and wine were excellent. However, the next morning (Sunday) I discovered my purse was missing and realized I had left it in the restaurant. We were very distraught because we were passing through Amarillo on our way to Colorado and the restaurant was closed on Sundays. Fortunately, we were able to retrieve contact information on the restaurant's website and soon received a very nice, empathetic phone call from Kevin. At that time we were two hours north of Amarillo and he offered to UPS the purse directly to Colorado the next day. What an instant relief for me, and an incredibly gracious act on his part. He refused repayment and the purse arrived without incident. I am very grateful for this employee's excellent personal service. We are looking forward to eating there on our way back home!

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Martha5751
Dallas, Texas
“Reservation Nightmare: Long Wait and Hostess with Attitude”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

After driving for 10 hours from Aspen, we pulled into Amarillo for the night, tired and hungry. Since it was a Saturday night during the Christmas holiday, we made a reservation earlier in the day so we would not have to wait to eat.

We had an 8 p.m. reservation at Macaroni Joes, the highest rated restaurant in town per Tripadvisor. We arrived at 7:55 and were told by the hostess "it would be a few minutes, they were prepping our table." A few minutes later the manager walked out and indicated "the folks at our table (a six top in the middle of the dining room) were finishing dessert and that it might be a few minutes." (Clearly, not the same message we had received from the hostess.)

At 8:30 -- we have now been waiting 35 minutes -- we see our group of 6 finally walk out. (Bear in mind at least 5 other groups that had walked in after us were seated -- though most were parties of 2 or 4). The manager then reappared to say "it would be a few more minutes -- they were prepping our table." (Seemed sensible since the party of 6 had just left.)

At 8:40 -- now ten minutes after the party of 6 had left -- the hostess walked up to us and told us, "your table is ready." We follow here through the dining room -- past the table were the party of six had been -- to a bare,dark room in the back of the building. (This appeared to be a meeting room or the employee dining area.) At one end of the long banquet table that would hold 20 or more, they had set up plates for my family of 5.

Confused and shocked, we then asked what about the table in the dining room that we had been "allegedly waiting for." The hostess replied "oh, you want to sit in the dining room, well it will be a few minutes. We will need to get that table ready. You can go back and wait in the lobby."

Five more minutes rolled by... it is now 8:45 and the hostess finally returned and with a great deal of sass and attitude to say our table in the dining room was "ready."

What amazed us all is that no one was genuinely apologetic nor did they seem to understand why would be frustrated with the events that unfolded in the 50 minutes we waited to be seated in the dining room --- the same dining room we had reserved a table in and the the same dining room where the party of six we were waiting on had been eating their dessert for the past 30 minutes.
Are you kidding me? What a joke. I understand this is not a five star restaurant, but they hold themselves out as the "fine dining spot in Amarillo." Even a manager at the local Olive Garden would have understood what a debacle the whole experience had been.

Anyway, now, to the food and drink. The wine list (a Wine Spectator Award winner) was outstanding and the selections were not horribly marked up. We ordered a nice Cab for $48 and enjoyed it very much. The bread and salads were good. The pasta and entrees were Ok, but not great. (Everything was salty and covered with too much cheese.) However, the evening was saved somewhat by our server, Mario. He was funny, effecient and professional. By the end of the meal, he had us all smiling and laughing. Perhaps he could give the manager and hostess a few some tips on customer service.

If you go, and I do not recommend it, ask for Mario!

• Visited December 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
kevinAmarillo, Owner at Macaroni Joes, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear Winelover75206,

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you, but I wanted to talk to everyone involved before speaking to you. Initially allow me to apologize to you and your family for your "Reservation Nightmare." I can only imagine how it must of felt after a long day on the road back from Aspen. I take complaints very seriously and have spent a considerable amount of time looking into yours.

A perfect storm of of circumstances came together that night to ruin your evening, and I will take responsibility for many of them, but after looking into it a few things were out of our control as well. I'm not explaining myself as an excuse, but I want you to understand all the variables in the hopes that you someday may return to our restaurant in the future.

Open Table (our online reservation system) should have NEVER allowed you to book your reservation for five guests at 8:00pm. As you can imagine the holiday season is our highest volume period of the year. During this period we change our online floor chart to accommodate larger parties. In doing so we inadvertently changed the safe guards that prevent overbooking in three of our tables. It was this mistake that you and your family were the victims of that started the ball rolling, and created the initial forty minute delay. I am fully aware that this changes nothing, and if it makes you feel any better thanks to your family's sacrifice and your bringing it to our attention we were able to correct the problem before it affected any other guests. I only wish someone had caught it in time that evening and informed you of our dilemma.

Our restaurant has several tables that can accommodate parties of five or more. You were told you would be seated at the six person table in the middle of the dining room because we honestly believed that the guests seated at that table would be the first to leave and our first priority with guests that have been waiting is to get them a table (any table) that will suit their needs as soon as possible. It is this rationale that led to you being taken to one of our private rooms that does have a sixteen person capacity. It was not to punish you it was the very FIRST table that became available during your wait. We had been made aware of your long trip from Aspen, and the fact that you hadn't eaten. We simply wanted to get you and your family fed so you could get some sleep and continue your trip home in the morning.

In regards to my rude and unapologetic staff. I will simply say this. During my investigation of the events surrounding your complaint I was told by more than one source that you engaged in free use of profanity including the F word to my 18 year old hostess. After hearing that I think any attitude on both sides is a wash.

Bottom line the entire situation should have been avoided had we done a better job with our online reservation system. We are by no means perfect, and are very protective and proud of our TripAdvisor review record. This is clearly not business as usual at Macaroni Joes. In looking at your review history I see you have given second chances to establishments that have not been stellar for you in the past. Therefore if you ever find yourself passing through again please call me personally: I will make sure the table of your choice is ready, I will be here to greet you, and i will keep Mario on call as your server.

Again sorry for the inconvenience,

Kevin Hawkins
Owner
Canon city
“Bravo to the chef!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

Just coming in to town and not knowing where to go for dinner (close to 16th and Georgia), we asked a lady on the street for a recommendation.
Joe's Macaroni did not sound like a classic, attractive name. But, we were in for very nice surprises.
A very romantic atnosphere coupled with a pleasant decor, was our first nice surprise.
My husband ordered the pasta primavera that was proably the best , he said he ever had. My duck (which I hesitated to order) was excellent and yes, I compare it to an experience that I had in France. The meat was very tender, with a brown sauce (I wish I had ask what it was) served on mash potatoes and asparagus. That was our seond and amazing surprise, just excellent.
The service was good too. Bravo to the chef! we will be back as soon as we can, Merci

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
kevinAmarillo, General Manager at Macaroni Joes, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Thank you so much!!!!!! We are so happy that you enjoyed your evening at Macaroni Joe's. Also thank you for taking the time to leave us such a lovely review. It's positive feedback like yours that keeps us coming back day after day to our very best.

Cheers
Las Vegas, Nevada
“LOOKING FOR A PRIVATE, LARGE ROOM?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

Excellent experience here! We needed a private room and the manager was very helpful and patient. He gave me a full tour, costs were fully explained (very fair) and the arrangements went off as planned. Both rooms were very nicely decorated, we used the smaller of the two rooms. The service was very good. The food was also very good. Extremely fair prices (not cheap eats here) but reasonably priced for fine dining. Macaroni Joes is highly recommended for dining. I gave it a '5' because a '4' was too low. 4.5 is fair. It is just a very comfortable fine dining restaurant.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
kevinAmarillo, General Manager at Macaroni Joes, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Thank you!!!
We feel that we have the best accommodations for large parties and special occasions or events. We are so happy that you enjoyed your evening and look forward to seeing you again soon. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such wonderful feedback.

Cheers