“Convenient but Average”

Quality Inn West Medical Center
Ranked #45 of 72 Hotels in Amarillo
Reviewed May 10, 2014

This was a convenient place just off I-40 to use for a quick night's sleep on a cross-country drive. Locations was good, staff was friendly and efficient and bed was clean and comfortable. Free Wifi worked well. Several negatives, however, led to only average rating. We wound up in a handicap-friendly room (being near the medical center, I suspect they had a lot of these) even though we didn't need or ask for it. The bathroom did not seem really clean nor up to date. Several cracked tiles were observed on the floor. The pitch of the floor was not really good enough to make the shower drain correctly. After a short shower the floor was dangerously wet over to the toilet - remember in handicapped room there was no lip. Also the bathroom and vanity/sink area had the worst lighting I have ever seen in a hotel. They must be using extremely low wattage eco-friendly bulbs (all bulbs were lit) that made it look like a dimly lit warehouse. It was like shaving in the dark. Totally unacceptable.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
BWMCI_GM, Manager at Quality Inn West Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2014

danphelka,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We will certainly look into the lighting in the room and will make the necessary adjustments. We do hope to see you on your next trip!

Reviewed May 4, 2014

Nice stay. We will stay again. This hotel is very convenient from Colorado to places East. It is close to the hospital and to Many Restaurants. It was quiet and clean. We like to eat at Furr's, so this is easy to get to. The pool looks really nice and we hope to use it next time. I did not smell chlorine in it, a real plus.

1  Thank Alice D
BWMCI_GM, General Manager at Quality Inn West Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2014

Alice D,

We're glad that you had an exceptional stay with us. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit!

Reviewed April 30, 2014

I stayed at this Best Western on 4/27/14. The room was huge and recently refurbished. Nice to have a decent refrigerator/freezer in the room without it being cluttered with expensive snacks and drinks hotels try to sell you. Routers are in every few rooms, including the room I stayed in, so no problems with connectivity.

The pool and hot tub were clean and a pleasure to use. Free breakfast was a full hot breakfast buffet. The staff was friendly and helpful. Thank you Donn!

Truly on of the best hotel experiences I've had.

Room Tip: Get a second floor room with window facing inside the property. Makes it that much quieter.
Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Thank T. Greg O
BWMCI_GM, Manager at Quality Inn West Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2014

Dear T. Greg O,

We are certainly glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We strive for excellence and do look forward to seeing you on your next trip!

Reviewed April 28, 2014

The rooms were clean, the hotel was full so there was some noise with kids but that is normal. The breakfast is one of the best I have had in the below a $150.00 a night hotel. The eggs were real and fresh and they always had two people keeping the area stocked and clean.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western
BWMCI_GM, Manager at Quality Inn West Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

Dear JoeSpry,

We appreciate the positive feedback and are glad you enjoyed your stay. We try to keep everything fresh and stocked for your convenience. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed April 17, 2014

I never stay in motels, especially when traveling alone, so I was not excited when I booked this room through one of those websites that leave you blind as to what you are getting until after you pay. It was a great deal though, and I'm glad I gave it a try b/c it turned out really well. To be clear - this hotel has old bones, and it shows. But they have done some updates to make it look better, and I found it to be more comfortable (both in terms of accommodations and personal safety) than the Magnuson Grand Hotel where I had stayed another time at about double the price I paid for this room. Some of those updates in my particular room (117) include newer vanity counter-tops & carpet & tile in the bathroom, what looked like new mattresses (I am a little intense about checking hotel beds for uninvited guests under the bedding, if you know what I mean), decent bedding, though not fabulous...as others have said, could be softer, and a more substantial blanket would be nice (personally it doesn't bother me that they didn't have a comforter...I think hotel comforters are gross). I like firm/supportive beds, so this was a good fit for me. Anyone who wants a softer bed might not be happy here. Plenty of pillows of different type to choose from. I slept really well, despite some parking lot noise (I bring a white noise machine when I travel, though, so I barely noticed). My room had a fridge & small microwave, and another thing I noticed is that the room did not have a smell (ever notice how most motel rooms smell dusty/musty/vaguely smokey?), and that was a very pleasant surprise. Breakfast was typical & sufficient hot/continental fare (eggs, biscuits, sausage, waffles, danishes, cereal, coffee, juice, various breads). If I was trying to think of something to complain about, here's what it would be: 1. water pressure in shower was not what I would like, but I've experienced much worse. 2. Fridge in my room froze my water (big deal, so I'll pay attention next time and adjust the temp...). 3. plug at the nightstand was loose so my phone charger had to be propped up with a plastic fork. 4. The TV reception was fuzzy on some channels. 5. I don't like yogurt with fruit in it, so it would have been nice to have a vanilla option at breakfast. In my opinion, those are fairly petty things to get upset about, especially when the room is as cheap/clean as this one. I'll definitely return.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank AndilooTX
BWMCI_GM, Manager at Quality Inn West Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

AndilooTX,

Thank you for such a thorough review, as we are always trying to improve. We're glad that you enjoyed your stay and will take your recommendations into account. We look forward to your next stay with us!

Reviewed April 17, 2014

WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE . . . Easy highway access -- easy check-in -- easy check-out -- CLEAN room -- QUIET -- a good bang-for-your-buck! Plus, if you enjoy Mexican food, "Joe Taco" is in walking distance (a delightful surprise!). The restaurant was recommended by a staff member and was extremely handy after a long, long day of driving! I'll return when I pass thru again in July !!!!

Christine R,

We're glad that your stay was exceptional! We look forward to your return in July!

Reviewed April 15, 2014

This hotel has certainly seen better days. The door to my room (219) wouldn't open on its own because it gets caught on carpet. The toilet did not initially flush; I fixed it. The tile in the bathroom is loose, and grinds on the rest of the tile while walking; you can feel it shift. The light switches work sometimes. The breakfast contained past-due yogurt and foul apple juice.

The only compliment I have is the room was clean.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo

Adam B,

First, we would like to apologize for the inconveniences during your stay. We will look into the issues stated above and get them promptly fixed. We do hope you consider giving us another chance on your next visit.