“Not as good as I expected”

Quality Inn West Medical Center
Ranked #49 of 72 Hotels in Amarillo
Amarillo, TX
“Not as good as I expected”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

I live in Amarillo but sometimes want to get away from the desire to work at home, rather than relaxing. So, I take time out for a staycation once in a while..
I went on price line to try to bid on a room, hoping for a good deal and a nice room.
Best Western Medical was the only option that popped up for the price.
Good points: The staff was friendly. The room had been redone and was very large and clean. The bed was comfortable. Breakfast was pretty good. Hot, and there were eggs, sausage, biscuits, gravy and of course, the waffle baker.
Bad points: The hot tub did not work. It was a long way from my room if I wanted to walk down and outside to another building to use it. The TV signal kept going out and off for some reason. And when I got in one of the beds ( I had 2 beds), the top sheet on the end was torn. The sheets were thin and worn. The other bed was better but the sheets were still thin and worn. They need replacing.

After checking prices, I realized I didn't get much of a deal on the price as the normal price was about $2 less than the price for that night. Do your homework on a price before bidding to see if you will get a good deal. I didn't get one. And I could not get a refund, even though the hotel that night claimed to be full and I had issues with the hotel.

If I were from out of town, and had a sick family member in BSA or Northwest Hospital as many do, when coming there,I guess it would be ok for a night or two. If you want somewhere nicer, I suggest Sleep Inn and Suites on I-40 West. They do cost a little more but the hotel is more compact, and is new. It is not far from Coulter Street or the hospitals at all.

Room Tip: The 2nd floor is quieter. If you like swimming in the pool or using the hot tub, be sure to ask for...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
BWMCI_GM, Manager at Quality Inn West Medical Center, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Dear austintravel51,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We will certainly look into those issues.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Lubbock, Texas, United States
Reviewed February 15, 2014

While we didn't expect world-class luxury from this aging Best Western, we weren't prepared for the inconvenience of the walk-up second floor, the outdoor jaunt to the indoor pool, or the discomfort of the too-cold pool and the too-hot spa. The hot tub, in fact, has a permanent sign prohibiting use by those under 14 due to high water temps. This was not only a disappointment to several families we observed, but puzzling -- can the temperature not be turned down a bit? For those who go with the expectation of enjoying an indoor swim, the hours were restrictive, and the pool equipment was not in good repair or cleanliness. On the upside: our suite was wonderfully roomy, the kind of layout we would appreciate on a multi-day visit with family -- a separate room and closet for the master bed, a generous living room with a desk and galley kitchen, a large bathroom. OK if you're aware of these things before you go.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear TexasTrailBlazer,

We would like to apologize for the inconveniences during your stay. Your feedback is very important and I can assure you those issues will be taken care of. We do hope to see you on your next trip to Amarillo.

Travelers are raving about these Amarillo hotels

Quincy, United States
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Traveling on a cross country road trip from Calif to Florida, South Carolina and back to northern CA. It was nice to have the suite included with the bedroom. Very comfortable and nicely decorated. Thank you.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

BWMCI_GM, Manager at Quality Inn West Medical Center, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Ray R,

What a trip you are on! We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us during this journey, wish you safe travels and do hope to see you on your way back!
garland, United States
Reviewed February 12, 2014

We stayed one night Hotel was easy to get to neat and clean and close to our events Internet worked well Staff was pleasant and helpful We got a good price booking it on line It seems the best way to get a discounted price

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Salman A,

Thank you for such a positive review and are glad you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit!
Follett, United States
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Located in medical district. Large clean rooms, plenty of hot water and great location near hospitals. Eating establishments near by. Indoor pool with great spa. Just off the interstate and near major mall. Staff took care of all our needs.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

BWMCI_GM, Manager at Quality Inn West Medical Center, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Dear Mary B,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We're glad everything us up to your expectations and look forward to seeing you on your next visit!
McDonald, United States
Reviewed February 6, 2014

we went to Amarillo because my husbands mother was dying. The people at the hotel were very nice and understanding. The room was nice, and we had everything we needed. It would have been more pleasant under different circumstances.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Dear Carole D,

Sorry for the situation that brought you to our area, we certainly hope everything turned out as well as it could. We do hope to see you in the near future under better circumstances.
Dallas, United States
Reviewed January 28, 2014

I needed to get work done while there. Had no internet connection upon arrival. Night auditor claimed that internet problems require a 2 day notice to fix, that there is no 24 hr tech support, and no number I can call. I finally found a guest services book which had a 24 hr tech #. When I informed the night auditor, he claimed to be new (discovered this was false). I asked for the manager's name and he said he did not know the manager and had no contact info for him. Later discovered the manager's card displayed on the front desk counter. Also, although there are no smoking signs posted, people were smoking inside the building, unfortunately, right outside my room.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

1 Thank Victoria F
BWMCI_GM, Manager at Quality Inn West Medical Center, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Dear Victoria F,

First we would like to apologize for the service you received. Customer service is of upmost importance to us and we try to resolve every issue to the best of our ability. I assure you that the employee has been handled accordingly and do hope you consider us again in the near future.