Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Amarillo East
Ranked #29 of 73 Hotels in Amarillo
Seattle, Washington
“Great hotel”
Reviewed June 20, 2010

My family spent the night at this hotel and were extremely satisfied. The rooms were big, the beds were comfortable, the hot breakfast was perfect. The owner was nice enough to turn on the water feature at the swimming pool for my kids, even before the official pool hours began (great customer service!). Strongly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank mrgills

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Los Angeles
Reviewed April 28, 2010

When I called here for a reservation I requested a room on the top floor that was quiet. When I checked in I was told that the only room on the top floor that was available was the handicapped room. Fine with me, bigger room, bathroom, etc. I asked again if it was quiet and was assured that it was. It was nothing of the sort. The room faces the I-40 freeway which is about 200 yards from the building, and the elevated nature of the room assures that you will hear the constant noise, very loudly, all night and day. This was perhaps the noisiest room I've ever stayed in, with the possible exception of Times Square, where taxis blew their horns non-stop all day and night.

I told the manager this morning about my experience and he seemed completely unfazed by it; suggested that the next time I check in that I ask for a quiet room on a lower floor. I'm not sure why he thinks that I would ever check in here again. If not for earplugs and sleeping pills it's unlikely that I would have gotten any sleep at all.

And I really do not understand why someone would put a handicapped room on the 4th floor. The signs here say that we should not use the elevator in case of fire, but, instead, use the stairs. How is someone in a wheelchair going to use the stairs? How do they intend to get someone in a wheelchair off this floor in case of fire?

Other than that, the breakfast is very good for a motel breakfast. The rooms are standard issue motel rooms, clean, but nothing special.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Incognito-one
Texas
Reviewed March 25, 2010

Yes this is a nice and beautiful hotel. The ONLY reason we stayed there is because it was rated #1 on TripAdvisor. We purchased the hotel through Hotels.com via TripAdvisor. When we got to the hotel there was only one clerk at the front desk who was on the phone with someone for at least 15 minutes before she waited on us. When she got to us, she asked us if we would like to keep our payment through Hotels.com. I said yes. She then asked us for our credit card for incidentals. She swiped the card and we were checked in. I use a debt card so I watch my account closely. The next day after we got back home I went on my online banking website to find that Holiday Inn charged my credit card $165. Then there was a refund of $165. Then there was another charge of $140, but this time there wasnt a refund. I then called the hotel and asked to speak to the manager Mr. Patel. He wasnt in but the lady that checked us in that night took my call. I told her the story. She said that she did not have access to credit my debt card back the $140. She took my name and number and said she would have Mr. Patel call me when he comes in (this was about 10:00am). I finally got a call from Mr. Patel and he apologized for the incident and said he would refund the money back to my card. The next day I got back on my online bank account to find out that not only did they not refund the $140, they charged me another $140. At this point I finally had to turn it over to my local bank to get the mess straightened out. There are several things I learned from this. #1 Dont pay for the room through a third party like Hotels.com. I was overcharged for the room ($165 vs. $140). #2 Always pay cash for your room and NEVER give them your debt card for incidentals. #3 Dont make a reservation with your debt card for a hotel room if you intend on paying cash. It will tie up the charge to your bank account for at least 5 days even if you payed cash!
Otherwise we had a pleasant stay. Dont forget to visit the Big Texan!
I hope others can learn from my mistakes and their mistakes. PAY CASH NOT CARDS!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank jogea
Dallas
Reviewed February 27, 2010

During a severe snow storm that crippled travel for up to four days Mr. Patel went out of his way to care for the people who were stranded in his hotel. He opened up the kitchen for all to use when there was no way to get to a restrauant. He stayed at the hotel for days seeing to the needs of all his customers.He helped me get my car out of a snow bank, by hosing down the ice and snow with hot water.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank DallasRedvette
OK
Reviewed February 25, 2010

We stayed here w/ my airline points. Very nice rooms and comfortable beds. Very friendly service from the man at the front desk, we will stay here again

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank CarterFamilyOk
Huntington, WV
Reviewed February 24, 2010

We stayed at this hotel on our cross country trip last summer and really enjoyed our stay. The hotel was new and clean and the staff was very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was much better than we expected. My daughter loved the pool. We got a pretty good rate using our AAA card, and trust me, when you'r staying in hotels for 21 nights, you have to try the best value you can. we also liked the fact that this hotel is right down the road from The Big Texan where we had a fun and tasty meal.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Travelaplenty
Amarillo, TX
Reviewed December 1, 2009

This is a great hotel overall. My wife and I stayed here for our honeymoon. The Jacuzzi suite was great and far exceeds the website photos which had me a bit nervous. Would definitely recommend all around. It is a bit more pricey than other hotels, but its not too bad.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple