“Pretty Good. Short-staffed but still good service.”

Drury Inn & Suites Amarillo
Ranked #4 of 72 Hotels in Amarillo
Reviewed July 2, 2010

OK, I've read some people complaining about awarding high stars to a 2-3 star hotels. Well, this one gets a high rating, OK? Everything is relative, right? So for a 2-3 star hotel/motel, no real complaints here. My young family and I (2 adults, 4 kids) were travelling from IL to Roswell, NM and just stayed the night. I originally had a reservation from Expedia that they screwed up so the hotel did not have the reservation on record. The clerk was very patient and hooked me up very well as a " walk-in" and got me a discounted rate on a King suite. I needed a roll-away, too, and she had a clean one in the office that I had to roll-up... a little weird for me to take it up (a first...probably because they were short-staffed) but no biggie I'm capable. Great happy hour with booze (they had bourbon on tap!!) and eats... all free. Good location (right off the Interstate) plus good restaurants within super-easy walking distance... we ate at Famous Dave's right next door. Kids dug the indoor pool. Great beds and quiet and pretty clean rooms (my kids did find an old wine bottle underneath the recliner). Good sleeping, no problems. Would stay at again and recommend.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed June 14, 2010

I stayed at this hotel based on reviews and the fact that they accept pets.

The good part of this review is that the rooms were nice and spacious, as were the bathrooms. The lobby is big and has several seating areas, if you want to hang out and chat with friends. There are several restaurants right next door and in walking distance to the hotel. Also, they do accept pets for no extra fee. (I was driving across the country with a dog.). And wireless internet was free, too.

Now for the not-so-good part of the review.

When I made my reservation I thought I requested a non-smoking room. I also requested a room on the ground floor near an exit, so I could take the dog out. When I checked in they said I had made a reservation for a smoking room and all their smoking rooms were all on the top floor. I explained that I meant to reserve a non-smoking room and that I really wanted a room on the ground floor to let the dog in and out. I was being pleasant about the whole situation, trying to work something out. I couldn't be sure I had reserved a non-smoking room because I hadn't printed out my reservation. I then asked if there was a non-smoking room available for a different room type and/or at a different rate, and the desk clerk said no. She then went on to say that the hotel was going to be really busy that night and that the elevator was going to be hung up a lot (in reference to taking the dog outside in a timely manner). She said I was free to try another hotel and she would cancel my reservation.

At that point I had been driving all day and didn't have the energy to try to find another hotel in the area, especially one that accepted dogs. So I told her I would take the room.

I got to the room and all was well, except that the entire floor and room itself smelled like an ashtray. It was enough to choke you. Unfortunately, the windows didn't open, so you couldn't air out the room. Fortunately, I was traveling with a can of Lysol, so I sprayed down the room and that helped a little.

After I got settled into my room and got a bite to eat, I checked my computer and sure enough, by accident I had reserved a smoking room. I then went to the Drury website to see if they had any non-smoking rooms available. And sure enough they did, including different room types at different rates. Thinking that the website might not be current with what was actually going on at the hotel, a friend of mine called the hotel to see if any non-smoking rooms were available and they said yes!!

At this point, it was about 9 p.m. and I didn't feel like raising a rukus and/or changing rooms. So I let the whole thing go.

I thought it was pretty amazing that they seemed to have the room type I wanted available, but just wouldn't give it to me. Also, it's amazing that they were actually encouraging me to go somewhere else.

Despite my experience, I would recommend this hotel. But my customer service experience make me grade the hotel just average. I hope my experience was due to one bad apple.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed June 13, 2010

Stopped here on our way from NC to AZ. Just picked it out when we got off the exit, it was right there. But the room was quiet and peaceful. This was our first Drury stay anywhere, and we'll look for them from now on. It was great! Seemed pretty new. Really nice staff; beds were very comfy, everything was great. Too bad we didn't stay in anything as nice during the rest of the trip......

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 11, 2010

after reading the reviews on this hotel, we decided to give them a try. upon arrival, we noticed lots of dogs as this hotel is pet friendly. after spending the night there, we found a tick crawling up the side of the bed. upon spotting it, we started lifting the sheets and mattress looking to see if there were any more, where we discovered the mattress had a huge pee stain on the underside of it. the manager did comp our room, but we decided to cancel the second nights reservation with them at a different location.Also was told that their wifi does not work with Vista........Weird

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank lobo37
Reviewed June 5, 2010

Entire hotel (lobby, breakfast room, guest room, pool, etc.) were very clean and nicely furnished. Hotel staff was very friendly. Complimentary breakfast was very good. Complimentary evening food and drinks were nice. Unfortunately we stayed on a Friday when hot dogs and chili are the "main course". However, baked potatoes, salad and other snacks were also available. Got a strong signal on the free WiFi. Also, several restaurants are within walking distance of the hotel. All-in-all I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2010

Traveled through Amarillo on a business trip. I did have my 10 pound teddy terrier dog with me and I am always concerned when traveling with my pet as I don't want to be stuck in a "lower class" room because I have a dog. I never felt that way with this hotel. The rooms were great...as a matter of fact they gave us a free upgrade. The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. The snack time was a nice touch, especially the free drinks. The area was nice and we felt completely comfortable walking our dog in the evenings. We will stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed May 27, 2010

We arrived tired and were pleased to be able to enjoy the evening feast. It was great. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The beds were fine. The staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family