“Cheap, outdated rooms, with non existing room service and bed bugs”

Fifth Season Inn & Suites
Ranked #53 of 73 Hotels in Amarillo
Ashburn, Virginia, United States
“Cheap, outdated rooms, with non existing room service and bed bugs”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

Don't be fooled by the pictures on the web site, they must have been taken on opening day in 1982. A co-worker and I stayed in 2 rooms at this hotel for about 3 weeks for work. Rate was cheap, $200 a week plus tax, for the non-renovated rooms in the back of the hotel. Rooms in the back of the hotel are outdated, dirty, and smell, where as rooms in front are pricier and renovated. First thing I did was purchase an air wick air freshener at local grocery store to mask the awful smell in the room. Carpets have big white stains, and all upholstered furniture has stains. Hallways look like the carpets have never been cleaned. The first couple of days were ok, but then, problems started to arise. Hospitality service does absolutely NO CLEANING, carpets never vacuumed the entire time I was there, sink was never cleaned. Several days they didn't even take the dirty towels, and then they started taking the towels, and leaving non to replace the ones they took. Both of our rooms started off with two towels of each (wash, hand, bath) and one shower mat, but it soon became only one wash cloth. After a long day of work all I wanted to do was take a nice shower, but its hard to dry off with a wash cloth. I made about 4 trips to front desk for towels in the first two weeks. Toilet paper was empty for 4 days and I had to go to front desk for refills. The hospitality services people when servicing the rooms, make the bed, and take your towels, not much else. Every evening when I returned toilet has the same tissue I clean my glasses with every morning before I walked out the door. It became a game to see if they ever even flushed the toilet, which never happened. Sink and counter got same attention the toilet received. Co worker had same issues in his room, and was also complaining about the mosquitoes bites he was waking up with in the morning. He never saw any mosquitos, so I don't think they were mosquitos, since I was awakened by a bed bug crawling on my leg in the middle of the night. I am not a high maintenance person, and can live in a dirty room to a point, and understand you get what you pay for. I can live with the smell and towel inconvenience, but bed bugs crawling over me at night are something I can't see paying for. Best thing here was the breakfast, which isn't great, just ok.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Randy C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

This hotel appears to cater to 2 types. Road travels and road workman. The hotel is split into OLD and NEW. We had a coupon from a "travel buddy" magazine for $39, and we got what we paid for. We we placed in the OLD WING of the hotel. The room had 2 different kinds of beds, one lower than the other (weird futon instead of mattress) also, we had to call down for toilet paper, as there was none in the room.
The old wing was full of road workman at night, not a big deal...except our hallway wreaked of the smell of "burning hemp" if you know what I mean! Not cool with children around. Also, the workmen emptied ALL the ice machines for there lunch coolers in the morning. I give them 2 stars because the free breakfast was ok. My family would not stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Amarillo hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

Dead cockroach on the floor. Both doors looked like they had been kicked open by the police. Hot breakfast = eggs stale sausage and toast on paper plates. Spend the extra money and stay somewhere else...

• Stayed June 2013
Parsons, Kansas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

This is the most disgusting Motel I have ever had to stay in!!!! Yes the front looked nice like a mansion but, yes looks are very deceiving! I booked the room and had to take my children out to an attraction and didn't get back to the room until around 11:30 that night which was too late to get another room somewhere else due to a rodeo being in town for the weekend! I have never felt so bad in my life. I started crying after calling 5 other motels to get another room and them being booked up. I took many pictures and as soon as I find out who I can send them to in order to get that place either closed down or closed until all construction is done I am holding onto them. I am also calling the BBB due to false advertising on their price, condition, amenities (all lies). My room the tub wasn't even clean there was dirt in the bottom of it, broken dressers, torn chairs, sink not painted around where they installed it, torn wallpaper, puke in the hall on the rug and wall which looked like it had been there for a while, along with another area of food on wall and floor, ceiling tiles falling down, and let me tell you about the indoor water fall going down the whole wall from the new part back to the old ghetto area out back and running all over the fire extiguisher on the wall, the doors on that wall are decaying from so much water damage, the game room had water coming in the ceiling and running all over 3 of their machines, and for the person who had a great room you must have been there when it wasn't pouring rain and gotten the room that had been supposedly newly remodeled! Let me inform you if you are there when it rains the water in your area comes in the ceiling and lands right down into your beautiful pool and spa area! Really gross huh? I went to the manager and complained and he was like oh well you should have come back right after you checked in and I told him we didn't even check it due to having to go somewhere until late! VERY NASTY UNSANITARY PLACE!!!!!!

Room Tip: NEVER EVER STAY HERE!!! MOTEL 6 OR SUPER 8 Right down the road are way better rooms and very clean!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Lexington, Kentucky
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

I have booked a room for one night, and if I had a choice at this point I would consider catching an earlier flight home instead of staying here. I arrived around 2:00 in the afternoon and asked for a room, I was told I could book a reservation but could not check in for another hour (oh goody how to kill an hour in Amarillo?), I booked a single room and instructed the clerk that it would be just me for the night, hoping she would take that into consideration when assigning a room ( I am a small 26 year old female). When I cam back in at 3:00 I was given my room and instructions to the back of the hotel. Keep in mind they are doing renovations in the front half and it looks pretty good in there. I made my way all the way to the back of the hotel to find a stairwell that had no lock on it, I walked up the stairs and the musty smoke smell took me over, as I pressed on I passed an open door full of "interesting" looking men who all walked to the door as I passed, the fall was littered with garbage and stains. When I made it to the room I opened the door and the smell of mildew hit me in the face, I immediate close the door and went back to the front desk and asked for a room in the main part of the hotel. The clerk obliged, but I had to pay double, when she asked what was wrong with the first room I explained as a woman alone I did not feel comfortable staying the back and the men had made me uneasy. Her response- your right it is scary back there, I will never go there by myself I always make one of the men on staff escort me back there.... Seriously?!?!?!?! When I finally got into my now $85 room the door frame is battered where an old lock was, pipes are leaky and exposed in the bathroom with some gunk on them, the bathroom door is old tattered wood- dark and slightly gloomy. Whatever I needed a quick hotel and was told it was one of the cheaper ones that was in good shape. I did not expect anything amazing but for $85 ? Stay at your own risk

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Tempe, Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

Where to begin? Maybe at the outer stairwell for the southwest section of the motel. If there is a safety inspector in Amarillo, he has either never been to this place, or he has a crisp new 20 dollar bill in his pocket. My daughter and I stayed here for one night when attending a wedding. We parked and carried our luggage up the stairway just mentioned. It wasn't until the trip down the stairs that I noticed how unbelievably the stairway was still together. Decades old lag bolts, the only means of support, were completely gone in some cases, and very loose in others. Extremely dangerous. Then there is the lack of thorough cleaning of anything in the place. Those areas of the room, the lobby, the common areas, etc. that were clean, seemed to be clean enough. Other areas displayed various levels of neglect, from an approximate lapse of cleaning around 3 months, to maybe 3 years. Strange smells and items and areas of disrepair, along with the indoor pool in the middle of the place,(very loud and chlorine odorous) with a 20 foot suspended ceiling above it which nobody can repair because of the lack of access. I could go on and on, but I'll stop with this, I was double billed at about $85 a night for the one night we stayed. When you see the sign out front which reads rooms... $39.99, forget it. Pass by the Fifth Season Inn and hope things are better at the sixth season.

Room Tip: Here's my tip to assist you in choosing a good room at this place: Choose a room at a different...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Jamesbennettcha, General Manager at Fifth Season Inn & Suites, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
I am terribly sorry to hear of your disappointing stay, I wish we could have created a better experience. You are right we do have rooms, FROM $39.99 plus tax; this was not however the room type you occupied. I have advised my maintenance department of the stairwell you mentioned and we are undertaking to address your concerns. Again, my most sincere apologies that we failed to meet your expectations!
Springville, Utah
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

Front lobby was nice. The back was dark, the smell in the room was horrid. There was maybe one light bulb other than the bathroom's. There was BLOOD on the wall by the closet. I couldn't even bring myself to touch anything. Marched right down and got my money back...Yuck :(

• Stayed April 2013
We are terribly sorry we failed to accommodate you! Please feel free to contact me directly at 806-358-7881 so that I can get more details on what rooms you experienced issues with and attempt to both correct them and maybe make it up to you!