“a hidden secret”

Dining options: Lunch, Takeout
texas
“a hidden secret”
Reviewed December 27, 2011

I have driven by Frank's a million times but finally tried it for lunch. Don't expect overly friendly service, just take a seat, look at the menu and order. We had the turkey croissant which was excellent, the chicken on baguette, and ham and cheese on croissant. All were good but the turkey and chicken are the best. It comes served with a side salad and a macaroon for a treat. The bread is great!!
The have other bakery items, the chocolate crunches which are a yummy treat. Try it but don't expect to be pampered.

1 Thank TexasKatdaddy

Texas
“Just like Paris.... France that is... not Paris,Texas!”
Reviewed December 22, 2011

Great place for casual lunch.... tasty sandwiches always served with small salad and wedge of fruit. Salmon croissant and chicken baguette are some of my favorites. When in season, and this depends entirely on what Frank thinks is the season, the French Onion soup is spectacular! This is no usual onion soup as it is cream based. Have them hollow out a fresh sour dough loaf and pour in the soup... you'll think you're in San Fran on Pier 39!

• Visited December 2011
Lubbock
“Lunch is good, prices decent, desserts devilishly good”
Reviewed September 3, 2011

I live in Lubbock, but have driven by Frank's Bakery several times with my mother while visiting her in Amarillo. Went up Labor Day weekend to visit and took my mother and niece to eat at Frank's as a special "girls' lunch date".

My first impression of the lovely pastries displayed in the glass cases was heavenly. But, the other thing I did notice was that the one lady at the front counter was rather tense and short with us. In all fairness, it was in the middle of lunch rush, and she was the only person to check people out, wait on the tables and help people at the counter. But I can definitely
see where some people would preceive her as rude.

My favorite part of Frank's menu was the pastries & bread/bakery items. I had seen a chocolate croissant in the display case that I really wanted to try, but someone took the last
one before I could place my order (lesson: get there early for the best selection). I had their
chicken salad (approximately $6) which was okay, but definitely not worth writing home about, although the macaroon was very good and I thought the price was reasonable. The ice tea was okay, but again nothing special. The peach custard ($2) was good, but I have to say, I've had better in London at Paul's.

Pro's: reasonable prices, pastries, free loaf of "Alpine" fresh baked loaf of bread with each entre eatten on site, cute decor.

Con's: rather unfriendly staff, there is so much room for improvement here from food presentation to entre flavor to decor to staff.

Recommendations: I really wanted to like Frank's Bakery, but the service and food left a lot to be desired. My recommendation is to go by and pick up pastries/bread and take them home to brew up your own cup of French Breakfast tea (or coffee), add a little sugar & cream, and add a pile of your favorite reading material . . . and you'll get the best of Frank's
without any of bad attitude!

• Visited September 2011
Mesa, Arizona
“Great Cream Puff & Crème Brûlée”
Reviewed September 3, 2011

We attempted to eat dinner here after 4pm on Saturday, 3 September. However, they stop serving "lunch" after 1pm and so we were left with a small selection of remaining pastries.

CREAM PUFF ( aka: Choux Chantilly; aka choux à la crème). Compared to the perfect pastry dough (pâte à choux) and the absolute perfect creme (Chantilly) my wife discovered during 2 weeks in 2002:

The Choux was as good as the best we have tasted elsewhere in the US and, according to my wife, closely comparable to South France.

The chantilly rates 9 (of 10) compared to the best we have eaten elsewhere and maybe 8 compared to South France according to my wife.

Crème brûlée: I love this desert. I rate Frank's 8 out of 10 of the best I have ever had.

• Visited September 2011
“Awesome selections!Great baquette and delish pastries!!”
Reviewed August 10, 2011

The cafe is definitely a gem hidden in Amarillo! The place is small but cozy and has a french cafe feel to it! Nice decorations and comfortable atmosphere! I had to try the steak baguette and something the waitress recommended ( similar to chicken pot pie). The baguette is just like what everyone raves about! Fresh, crispy, right chewiness/tenderness! It even comes with a tasty yet simple side salad and macaron cookie! The chicken pot pie-like dish was rice and creamy! the crust was amazingly crispy, flaky and buttery. I ended up purchasing desserts to go! I got the AMAZING cream puffs!! it's definitely a must! the creme brulee was decent and the almond croissant was also very good. If you're in the area you should really stop at the cafe. If you're in a rush, take it to go! =)

• Visited July 2011