“Not a nice place. I'd recommend sleeping in your car in a rest stop instead”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Camelot Inn

Camelot Inn
Camelot Inn
Ranked #59 of 73 Hotels in Amarillo
Phoenix, Arizona
“Not a nice place. I'd recommend sleeping in your car in a rest stop instead”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2011

We were driving very late and looking for a hotel in Amarillo right off the I-40. My wife and I both saw the Camelot, which looks good from the freeway. We thought our daughter would be excited by the way it looked (and we were so very tired) so we stopped and checked in.

We should have gone back to the front desk and asked for our money back after we looked at the room. It was a pit. We were so exhausted that I carried my daughter into the room and we unpacked.

The beds, sheets, floor, walls and most everything in the room appeared to be at least 30 years old. There was a relatively new A/C unit that did work (but smelled) and a new looking fridge (that was trashed/dirty inside). We didn't touch the TV so I can't say anything about it.

The beds creaked and were wobbly, the sheets were thread-bare, the pillows were the flattest I've seen in a hotel. There were holes in the walls, cigarette burns in the tub, floor and table. Honestly, the room was probably nice (but not luxury) when it was brand new. But it didn't look updated in the last 30 or more years. And it hadn't been taken care of.

The room was accessed by a hallway accessible by a standard hotel card key. Same with the room door from the hall. There was a door to an adjoining room and a door to the outside that was pretty banged up.

There was nothing new about the hotel except maybe some new stucco and paint on the part of the hotel facing the freeway. We only saw our room - maybe some of the rooms have been updated in the last 30 years?

The next morning we noticed a dead car blocking part of the parking lot. One of the rooms had a cat in the window (and the smell of cat pee coming from the room). We suspect some of the guests were evicted from home or apartment and stay long term in the hotel. It was a scary place.

We paid around $50 for the night. The price advertised on the sign was $27.99. I don't know what better rooms in Amarillo go for but I do know that we stayed in several hotels in other places (Tucumcari NM, Cuba OK and somewhere in Missouri) for less money that were significantly nicer than the "new Camelot".

If the hotel had been taken care of (holes fixed, painted, floors regularly cleaned/repaired) and updated some (beds, sheets) it could be a kitchy cool type place. But it isn't.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
9 Thank Dennis2theD

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Springfield, Missouri
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2011

this hotels advertising is very deceptive all the pictures that are posted were lets say probably taken 20 years ago there is no breakfast as posted on the web site, the pool is broken , the place is very run down had ants all over the night stand and bathtub. got ripped off on the price, would not pay more than 39$ a night if you are desperate. the only thing we got from this experience is something to joke about, like the only thing missing was the body outline and crime tape!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
8 Thank lee9544926

Travelers are raving about these Amarillo hotels

Paso Robles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2011

We were so...tired and the kids were ready for bed, we hauled our suitcases and TV up to the room,sure didn't want to leave the TV in the car after seeing the parking lot, and some of the "guests"? We arrived in our room there was a big space between the door and frame, the curtains were barely on the rod, the chair, not sure what was on that. Oh I forgot, on our way to the room the smell in the hallway, the cigarette butts in the stairwells and in the hallway made me wonder if we were in a really bad place. Now back to the room, WOW I was tired couldn't wait to hit my head on the pillow, wrong! Pulled back the covers and OH MY GOODNESS! I don't think they changed the sheets from the last "Guest", I was not sleeping there,nor was I walking on the carpet, or using the bathroom,so...as I packed up the kids and the TV, my husband went back and the lovely clerk gave us our money back, no questions asked, at 1:00 am? No questions, like they were accustomed to this.
My suggestion drive a little further and don't stay at the Camelot in Amarillo Texas.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
9 Thank HWY40Traveler
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2010

We were tired after a long road trip and needed a place to stay. Camelot seemed whimsical until we walked through the nasty stench in the hallways. It was gross to even touch the doors! The room was big but everything was stained! The sheets were stained too. I considered bringing in our sleeping bags and pitching a tent! We decided to claim allergies to the moldy stench and was given a quick refund. We ended up finding a clean room at sleep inn. DO NOT STAY HERE! May have bed bugs!

• Stayed February 2010
9 Thank Iveth44
mid missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2010

My husband and I stopped in here late night to watch tv for a bit and get some sleep before heading to el paso the next morning. We were greeted by a very friendly desk clerk who was more than helpful. This place is right off the interstate and the location is not bad at all for the price. I felt safe and secure the whole time. Others who are on here should be going up the road further paying much more for their rooms if they want to be so picky...

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank walkergirl75
Grabill, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2009

Well, my husband and I were on a short weekend getaway. We were on a very tight budget, we saw the add in a travel guide. Just looking for a place to watch a few minutes of TV and get some sleep before traveling on, we weren't counting on much from the price, but we were pleasantly surprised. The furnishings were certainly outdated, but they were clean. The shower and toilet were clean as well as the flooring. The beds looked fairly new. The only thing I did not like about our stay was you had to go into the hallway to get to your room even though there is a door leading from the room to the parking lot. I think we will stay there again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mkokies
Flora, Il
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2009

I stayed here with a couple friends on the way back from California. We were just looking for a clean, cheap hotel and that is what we got. It is in a great location and we felt safe. Its nothing special but was fine for us just passing through.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends