“Took a chance and we were glad we did!”
Review of Dyer's Bar-B-Que

Dyer's Bar-B-Que
Ranked #27 of 519 Restaurants in Amarillo
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 1, 2014

So bear with my ramblings here a moment. When setting out to Amarillo, of course I had researched the restaurants prior to our trip. We wanted some good Texas barbecue, and I had a list of the top few restaurants that tripadvisor contributors had recommended. Dyer's was not among them. Dyer's wasn't listed under the 'barbecue' category at all. It's listed under the "steak house" category, which makes perfect sense for a restaurant called Dyer's BARBECUE, don't it?? (I didn't read through all the restaurant reviews to get to #79 or wherever it placed). So, I looked at some other online review sites, and quite frankly, I was underwhelmed by the reviews for Dyers. However, the top-rated barbecue restaurant was closed on both Sunday and Monday, the days we were in Amarillo. So I gave my traveling companion (TC) the option of going with a famous 'chain' restaurant that had relatively better reviews, or taking a chance on the lesser-rated local option. He preferred the local option.

We were so glad we chose Dyer's! As soon as we stepped out of the car in the parking lot, we could smell the meaty goodness. Now, I have to admit, I actually don't even *like* barbecue--but I do like sausage, and I had seen on their menu that they had two different kinds of sausages. I ordered the jalapeno German sausage sandwich with a side of beans. My traveling companion ordered the combo plate with the rib ends, pork ribs, and brisket. It came with a side of cole slaw, potato salad, Texas toast, and stewed apricots. We also got an order of onion rings.

My sausage sandwich was delicious! I was afraid it might be too spicy but it was perfect--a little bit of heat but not enough to overwhelm the flavor of the meat. And there was a good amount of it as well--more than could stay on the yummy toasted bun. The beans were good--a slight bit too salty for my taste, but not enough to where they were inedible. And note: these are PINTO beans, thankfully, not baked beans!

My TC himself is an incredible cook, as well as a connoisseur of the barbecued meats. He reported that his combo plate was also incredibly tasty (and I tried a bite of each). The ends and the ribs were especially tender and flavorful. The brisket was good, but not as good as the other items. While very tender, it was just a bit on the bland side. He said the potato salad and the cole slaw were very good, and he's a bit of an expert on both .

The onion rings were also perfect--both the onions and the light batter were crispy and not soggy. The weakest part of the entire meal was the Texas toast. I've had better out of the frozen food section at the grocery store. But... if you're going to be weak in one area, I suppose toast is better than meat, particularly for a barbecue joint.

The service was also very good. Our waitress was very friendly and attentive, and the food arrived amazingly fast, which at first concerned me. But after one bite, I was sold!

So, long story short, we got there in a round-about way, but we were very glad that all paths led to Dyer's. We would absolutely return there again.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

Your visit here starts with the aroma as you park your car....smoked meat...mmmmm!

We tried the ribs...good meaty ribs with sauce on the side. The salad was fresh and crispy and the baked potato was good sized and perfectly cooked.

What we liked best here was our server, Jenn. She was a great server and made sure all our needs were met. And, she was fun and funny to talk to. She really made our night!

Good food. Generous portions. Great service. Worth a try!

Reviewed March 27, 2014

Step in the entrance and you can view all the BBQ awards Dyers has won over the years. You know you are in for a treat. There was four in my party and we ordered the family platter with jalepeno sausages, pulled pork, ribs and brisket. The sausages and ribs were great (not at all greasy), the pulled pork good and the brisket just OK (it lacked smokey flavor). The cole slaw was freshly made and tasty. I would happily buy the potato salad at a deli. I eat at Dyers every trip to Amarillo and never had the poor experiences reported here. The facility showed too much wear and tear my last visit but that has been repaired.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

My wife and I tried a double meat combo that included brisket and pulled pork, coleslaw, potato salad, toast and apricot preserves. Nothing was bad, but I wouldn't necessarily say it was good either. There is probably better bbq in Amarillo, too bad we didn't stick around to find it.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

We have gone to Dyers for many years. But we were recently treated like trash by our waitress and the owner. My husband ordered all you can eat plate which is about $15, (which he and my son orders ever time) the waitress brought out the smallest and driest ribs we have ever seen. He asked for ribs that were eatable. He tried to eat them but they were awful! He waited about 25-30 min and when he finally asked about his food, the waitress was rude and said he had to wait for the other tables orders before he could get his!!!! By the time he got his food everyone else was finished eating!! And the waitress told him very rudely that he could not take the food home, he had to eat there!! Asked for a manager no one ever came. So we got up to pay, asked again for a manager, once the manager came he said he would only take $5 off!!!!! Then the owner, Roy Dyer came to the front and was horribly rude, would not comp the meal. Said he didn't have to have good customer service because his restaurant is not a chain!!! It's just sad, he could have taken care of the $15 meal(which my husband was not able to eat) and we would have continued to eat at dyers. We have spent thousands at dyers over the years. Family meals, business meetings and catering. But no more.....Roy Dyer lost a huge family of customers. Not one of our family members will be back.