“Texas Treat” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Big Texan Steak Ranch

Big Texan Steak Ranch
Ranked #8 of 492 Restaurants in Amarillo
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Southwestern, Bar
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Buffet, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Voted as the #1 Eating contest in America by Huffington Post.Voted as 1 of the top 10 places by Draft Magazine to drink a beer at.The list goes on and on. This place is full of action and what the Wild West was all about. 2,000 Square foot gift shop that even has a live rattlesnake in there. We have 12 Hand-Crafted beers made on site with a beer style to fit almost any beer drinker. From Raspberry Wheat to Whiskey Barrel Stout with Seasonal beers to fill in such as Oktoberfest Lager & Pecan Porter. Same Lee family for the last 54-years serving 3-generations of guests. Young man, We fed your grandfather! We're Glad your Here!
Mesa, Arizona
“Texas Treat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

The year was 1978. My parents were moving us from New York to Phoenix. It was Thanksgiving Day and my mother was heartbroken that we were spending it on the road. The Big Texan caught her eye as my Dad drove down Interstate 40. They decided this place would be fine to spend Thanksgiving. I will always remember the fabulous Thanksgiving Buffet that we experienced.

So it is now 2014, I am 50 years old and we are visiting family in Lubbock, TX. I decide we are taking the long way back to Phoenix via Amarillo so that we can stop for lunch. No one really understands why I'm doing this. I tell them I have to and that's that.

So after 36 years I am back at the Big Texan Steakhouse with my family. It is everything that I remember. The place seems bigger and more "touristy" but it's ok because that is exactly what I am. I had a wonderful sirloin and the family had an assortment of sliders and steaks and were very satisfied. We even got serenaded by a singing Cowboy. My only disappointment was our waitress seemed indifferent and apathetic. I am so glad I came back to the place that introduced this New Yorker to the American west.

• Visited July 2014

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
Derby, United Kingdom
“Good steak, amazing atmosphere.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

It's cheesy, tacky, touristy and loud, but nevertheless, an excellent experience. It's obviously quite a busy establishment with a lot of tourists (like myself), in fact I think it was one of the only times during our trip to the states that we spoke to another English person. With it being busy we did have a 45 minute wait (we were handed a pager type thing that started flashing and beeping when out table was ready), but this was not a problem as we spent 20 minutes in the onsite gift shop where we bought a Texas Christmas decoration to add to out collection. After this we went to the bar to try some of the local beers/ales, there was enough to choose from. There is also an arcade area which we didn't use but it looked great. When seated our orders were taken within 15 minutes with the food coming out approx. 20 minutes later. The steak was very good, one of the better steaks I have had and the sides were good too. The waiter was also very polite and friendly and went out of his way to recommend places for us to visit in and around Amarillo. The whole atmosphere in the establishment was amazing, everyone was happy and having a good time. I would definitely return in the future and hope to bring more people with me!

• Visited August 2013
San Antonio, Texas
“Typical tourist trap”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

Great concept and it is worth the visit. However, if you are expecting a delicious, juicy steak, you will be disappointed.
Despite being cooked to medium well, the steak tasted old and was rather insipid. I found myself trying to enhance its flavor by ravaging it with a whole jalapeño pepper; alas to no avail.
The beans were pretty tasty and they were the most appetizing part of the dinner.
It was great to go just to say I have been there on the places to go and visit.
If you want to splurge for gluttony's sake and challenge yourself for 70 oz. of steak, go! If you're looking for a place which actually has fresh meat, drive 7 hours to Cattleman's in Fabens, Texas. You won't be disappointed!

2 Thank Francisco C
“Great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here and ate here on our route 66 trip. They really make it fun and care about their guest experience at this restaurant. The steak and prime rib that we ordered was excellent. If you are worried about fat and calories do not even bother. But if you crave a hearty steak and potato meal you should eat here. You will not be disappointed.

Magnolia, Texas
“Food was surprisingly good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

After passing by this resturant several times over the years, we finally decided to try it. We had about a 15 minute wait before our pager went off. Inside the facility, there was a shooting arcade, a beer garden, old slot machines which gave out tokens, a candy bar, and a large bar with tv's.
There was one young gentlemen trying to eat the 72 ounce steak in an hour, but he failed. That was a big bill ($72.00). We shared a steak for 2 and each got a baked potato and salad. The steak came to our table rare (we ordered medium), so we had to send it back. We both rewrapped our potatoes so they would stay warm. When they brought the steak again, it was better, but this time medium rare. We decided to eat it anyway, as we needed to get on the road again. The place is cute, but noisy. Service was fast. Food was reasonably priced. I guess if you never have been there, you should go once. Glad we did it, but I can't see going back again.

• Visited July 2014