“Big Texan Big Loser”

Big Texan Steak Ranch
Ranked #8 of 510 Restaurants in Amarillo
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Voted as the #1 Eating contest in America by Huffington Post.Voted as 1 of the top 10 places by Draft Magazine to drink a beer at.The list goes on and on. This place is full of action and what the Wild West was all about. 2,000 Square foot gift shop that even has a live rattlesnake in there. We have 12 Hand-Crafted beers made on site with a beer style to fit almost any beer drinker. From Raspberry Wheat to Whiskey Barrel Stout with Seasonal beers to fill in such as Oktoberfest Lager & Pecan Porter. Same Lee family for the last 54-years serving 3-generations of guests. Young man, We fed your grandfather! We're Glad your Here!
Amarillo, TX
“Big Texan Big Loser”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

It's a tourist trap. Less than average food, average service, greater than average price. There are many much better restaurants than this. Go and take a look around, sure, but go somewhere else to eat!

• Visited May 2013

• Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Amarillo, Texas
“Tourist Trap”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I grew up in Amarillo, lived here all my life. Big Texan is a place you always hear about. In all fairness, I probably haven't been in 5 years because there are much better places to eat. In my opinion, if you haven't seen the place, it's worth stopping by. If you are looking for Texas sovenirs, they have the gift shop with the live rattlesnake and the whole shabang. Entertaining for a few minutes if you've never seen it, but I've seen it and it has changed little in 30 years. The last two time we went, were for Easter and Mother's Day buffets. You received tickets and got one trip through the buffet for a large price. It was buffet food and not all you can eat. The steaks depending on when you go and who you talk to are average or below, the prices high and the service average or sub-par. My husband and son went for the breakfast buffet a couple of years back. My husband remembered a delicious all you can eat buffet with lots of choices. This last time, it was like the other buffets: one trip and very stingy portions. They seem to be watching to make sure you don't take or eat too much. If you are making one trip to Amarillo, forget the hype and go somewhere else. The odds are totally against you being able to eat the 72 oz steak/roast but you WILL get to pay for it.

• Visited May 2013
Amarillo, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Live Rattlesnakes!”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Now that I have your attention, the Big Texan Steak Ranch is one of the best steak houses in the vast Texas Panhandle; it also houses a microbrewery brewing up the finest brews available. The Big Texan is located on I-40, easy on easy off; they also have limousine service to and from your Amarillo hotel. Once inside you feel as though you have stepped back in time to the Old West - live music, friendly wait staff, and lots of good food. Definitely a family friendly environment with something to offer everyone. It is NOT just for tourists, the locals and civic organizations dine there each and every day. A great place to take family and friends for an authentic taste of Texas. And yes, the gift shop does have a resident rattlesnake, safely behind glass, for your viewing pleasure.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank lah47
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Fun for the kids.”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Great touristy place. The food and service seems to be going down hill, over the years we would stop and eat here if we had time but it seems like the last 2 or 3 times just hasn't been very good.

• Visited April 2014
Ashford, United Kingdom
“WOW”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Whilst driving Route 66 (west to east) we stopped at the Midway Point and met the lovely Fran. She asked where we were heading and recommended that we visit the Big Texan...had she not have recommended it we would never have visited...but WOW we were so glad we did. We phoned from our hotel to make a reservation and to ask to be picked up by the free limo service. Shortly after a cow horn adorned limo picked us up (driven by a 'cowboy') which was a great fun start to our evening. On arriving at the restaurant you are greeted by a plethora of eccentric things - from slot machines, to stuffed bears the entrance waiting area has lots to look at while you wait to be seated. When seated we were given the menus, as someone who is not a fan of steak I was happy to see lots of different options on the menu, however as we were in Texas I opted for the fillet. I seriously am not exaggerating when I say it was the best meat I have ever tasted - cooked to perfection, sliced as smooth as butter AMAZING! I also had the sweet potatoes on the side that come with brown sugar and cinnamon to mix with butter; not being something we typically have in England I thought I'd give it a try....again it was awesome. We thoroughly enjoyed our time here, amazing food, a cowboy trio serenading diners and the fun limo ride we had a great experience, even better is that the limos queue up outside to take you back to your hotel once you are finished. Well done to the Big Texan!

• Visited March 2014