“Have had better. :-(”

Big Texan Steak Ranch
Ranked #14 of 532 Restaurants in Amarillo
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Buffet, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Voted as the #1 Eating contest in America by Huffington Post.Voted as 1 of the top 10 places by Draft Magazine to drink a beer at.The list goes on and on. This place is full of action and what the Wild West was all about. 2,000 Square foot gift shop that even has a live rattlesnake in there. We have 12 Hand-Crafted beers made on site with a beer style to fit almost any beer drinker. From Raspberry Wheat to Whiskey Barrel Stout with Seasonal beers to fill in such as Oktoberfest Lager & Pecan Porter. Same Lee family for the last 54-years serving 3-generations of guests. Young man, We fed your grandfather! We're Glad your Here!
Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

Read a lot of good reviews to the Big Texan so we decided to try it. Atmosphere was fun. Service was good, but the steaks we just average. My husband had the T bone and I had the rib eye. We expected better flavor for the price and more of a melt in you mouth texture. We have had better steakes at less expensive restaurants. Next time we are in town we will go to a different bbq restaurant.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,449)

Reviewed September 19, 2013

If you are driving Route 66 or just passing through Amarillo you need to check this place out. Even if you don't buy yourself a steak the whole set up and over the top Texan feel of the place is worth checking out. I did go for the steak and have to say it was cooked perfectly, tasty and delicious. The servers were friendly, fun and helpful and it was really cool to have a cowboy with a fiddle working his way around the restaurant singing country songs. Very much a tourist stop off place and worth ever penny you will spend.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

This place was fun...! If you are lucky to be there while at least someone is attempting to eat their 72 oz steak dinner, everyone participates as the challenger tries to eat the signature 72 oz dinner (sides included)! If you do, of course, it's free.... along with the recognition of those around you! My wife and I stopped there and had an excellent steak. The filet I had was one of the best steaks I've ever had. That with the "entertainment" of watching the challenger trying to finish a huge meal and a tasty margarita..... it was evening of fun.... The Cowboy band comes around and serenades you as you eat and even takes requests.... (tip- they don't play any Michael Jackson ;-) )

Reviewed September 17, 2013

I don't know how many times we've stopped for a steak at the Big Texan, but if we're traveling on I40 through Amarillo, we try to plan our trip so that we get there at lunch or dinner time and take a break there. The place is kitschy and fun, with an Old West saloon feeling in the dining room and lots of mounted animal heads looking down on you from the second floor level. There is usually a strolling cowboy troubadour who will sing your favorite country song for you. Occasionally you will find some brave soul attempting the 72 oz. challenge (that's 4 and a half pounds of meat, plus ALL the fixings!). You get it free if you can eat all that in an hour. Haven't seen anyone succeed yet. The steaks themselves are very good and I've never had a bad one there. After our meal, we always take a turn through the gift shop and usually buy some fun junk as a souvenir. If we're feeling really decadent, we may splurge for some of the homemade fudge. Highly recommended place for a meal and some fun!

Reviewed September 17, 2013

If you are traveling I40 for the Route 66 experience The Big Texan is a must stop in Texas. The place is full of quirky decor and the food is good and Very reasonably priced. Drinks are served in plastic cups but the plastic cups make it a picnic.
Staff is friendly and the strolling musicians are very entertaining. We didn't see anyone attempt the Steak challenge but it was fun to be there. I am sure locals go someplace else if they want a steak, but Route 66 afficianados will not be dissapointed. Every Texan should eat here at least once.
I ordered the "Adam Richmond" it is the same as the challenge meal with the same side dishes and one quarter of the weight of the challenge steak. The steak was really a good cut of meat excellently cooked and the price of was less than much smaller steaks at steak houses further into town.
I was able to finish the scaled down meal and I think I could have finished twice as much but I am now positive I could not complete challenge and be immortalized on the wall of the Big Texan.

1  Thank StevefromMesquite