“Worst restaurant on the planet!”

Big Texan Steak Ranch
Ranked #8 of 505 Restaurants in Amarillo
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Southwestern, Bar
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Buffet, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Voted as the #1 Eating contest in America by Huffington Post.Voted as 1 of the top 10 places by Draft Magazine to drink a beer at.The list goes on and on. This place is full of action and what the Wild West was all about. 2,000 Square foot gift shop that even has a live rattlesnake in there. We have 12 Hand-Crafted beers made on site with a beer style to fit almost any beer drinker. From Raspberry Wheat to Whiskey Barrel Stout with Seasonal beers to fill in such as Oktoberfest Lager & Pecan Porter. Same Lee family for the last 54-years serving 3-generations of guests. Young man, We fed your grandfather! We're Glad your Here!
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Worst restaurant on the planet!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

I'm almost speechless. That's a first. World famous? Gimmicky is more like it. No drink refills. Waitress was too busy talking to the next table about her college plans. Horseback riding. That she doesn't eat meat. Food came out cold. Over cooked. Burnt. Took another 10 minutes to get her attention. Get this: when I told her the steak was over cooked and tasted burnt...she actually said "did you taste it ?" I have NEVER given a rating this low. The manager was even more unprofessional than the waitress. No customer service whatsoever. It was a "you don't like the steak? Oh well" attitude. I have wanted to eat here for years. It's world famous after all. Biggest dining disappointment of my adult life. I actually wrote on the receipt "stop talking & serve your customers". Probably end up on YouTube or Facebook tomorrow.

• Visited September 2013
3 Thank Sonja M

• Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Richland, Washington
“okay place to eat but very crowded”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

We were taken here by limo from our hotel The Ashmore Inn in Amarillo, Texas. It was kind of crowded. Some of the staff are friendly but many are stand offish. My steak was very good but my husband had to send his back because it was too well done and he asked for medium rare. They brought him a new steak but he said that it didn't taste like they seasoned it at all. He asked for steak sauce and was brought a bowl of watery tasteless sauce.

The meal was overpriced for the quality and amount of food.

For us it was a place to eat and a place to pick up a couple of souvenirs.

• Visited September 2013
talihina
“Bucket list”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

I have eaten at this place about every 5 or 7 years and it has gotten to be more of a tourist bucket list than a quality steakhouse, first off the place is in need of a remodel the building is looking a bit run down. Okay about the food my prime rib was not bad and the breaded mushrooms were good. My salad was sub par and the cowboy beans were not really any good, they just didn't taste right to me. The service was good ( not really busy at 11.00 am ) and server done a good job.
I believe the average meal was about 17.00 dollars but after your done eating you can say you have ate at the Big Texan.

Visited August 2013
harahan
“Touristy, but do it.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

If you were in New Orleans, you would go to Bourbon Street. If you were in Frisco, you know you would get sucked into the Trolley. So when in Amararillo, do what the other tourists are doing and go to Big Texan. Just call them for a free limo ride from your accommodations and you can eat and drink without having to drive in an unknown city. Your steak dinner will come with all the trappings: Souvenir and candy store, bar where you can belly up and order house made brews, shooting gallery and sport only video poker machines. Hubby and I split 24 oz "RJ", a rib eye that came with two sides. I ate the garden salad and he ate the frozen style large fries. Trust me, the steak was easily split, but must have shrunk a little during the cooking process. The rolls...like old school public school yeast rolls = YUM! We witnessed two young men attempt (and fail) the challenge of eating the 72 oz steak with the trimmings. The dining room is very western adorned with animal heads and roaming country serenaders. Cost with 2 beers was $42.00 without tip. The steak was good, a little more done than I'd like, but I figured going in that it wouldn't be perfect and yet with the whole experience, it nearly was.

• Visited August 2013
Los Osos, CA
“Can't,Don't Miss It!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

About 20 miles outside Amarillo driving on I-40 the billboards begin advertising the Free 72 ounce steak at the Big Texan Steak House, it seems Route 66 like and something to talk about on the drive. Once at the hotel I checked Trip Advisor for reviews, two days earlier reviews raved so we gave it a try. This is a destination restaurant, I wouldn't go to Amarillo just for it, but if in the area, don't drive by. Stop and have an excellent dinner, local, friendly staff, fun watching someone take the 72 oz. challenge, it's unforgettable. I brought home the plastic water cup as a souvenir, great marketing but the stuff to back it up. My mouth waters just thinking of this place!

• Visited August 2013