“Touristy, but do it.”

Big Texan Steak Ranch
Ranked #6 of 526 Restaurants in Amarillo
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Buffet, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Voted as the #1 Eating contest in America by Huffington Post.Voted as 1 of the top 10 places by Draft Magazine to drink a beer at.The list goes on and on. This place is full of action and what the Wild West was all about. 2,000 Square foot gift shop that even has a live rattlesnake in there. We have 12 Hand-Crafted beers made on site with a beer style to fit almost any beer drinker. From Raspberry Wheat to Whiskey Barrel Stout with Seasonal beers to fill in such as Oktoberfest Lager & Pecan Porter. Same Lee family for the last 54-years serving 3-generations of guests. Young man, We fed your grandfather! We're Glad your Here!
Reviewed August 29, 2013

If you were in New Orleans, you would go to Bourbon Street. If you were in Frisco, you know you would get sucked into the Trolley. So when in Amararillo, do what the other tourists are doing and go to Big Texan. Just call them for a free limo ride from your accommodations and you can eat and drink without having to drive in an unknown city. Your steak dinner will come with all the trappings: Souvenir and candy store, bar where you can belly up and order house made brews, shooting gallery and sport only video poker machines. Hubby and I split 24 oz "RJ", a rib eye that came with two sides. I ate the garden salad and he ate the frozen style large fries. Trust me, the steak was easily split, but must have shrunk a little during the cooking process. The rolls...like old school public school yeast rolls = YUM! We witnessed two young men attempt (and fail) the challenge of eating the 72 oz steak with the trimmings. The dining room is very western adorned with animal heads and roaming country serenaders. Cost with 2 beers was $42.00 without tip. The steak was good, a little more done than I'd like, but I figured going in that it wouldn't be perfect and yet with the whole experience, it nearly was.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,331)

Reviewed August 29, 2013

About 20 miles outside Amarillo driving on I-40 the billboards begin advertising the Free 72 ounce steak at the Big Texan Steak House, it seems Route 66 like and something to talk about on the drive. Once at the hotel I checked Trip Advisor for reviews, two days earlier reviews raved so we gave it a try. This is a destination restaurant, I wouldn't go to Amarillo just for it, but if in the area, don't drive by. Stop and have an excellent dinner, local, friendly staff, fun watching someone take the 72 oz. challenge, it's unforgettable. I brought home the plastic water cup as a souvenir, great marketing but the stuff to back it up. My mouth waters just thinking of this place!

Reviewed August 27, 2013

This was an amazing little place, such good atmosphere and food/drinks. I did not have the stomach for the 72 oz steak but 24 was big enough trust me! The beers were cold, the staff were warm and the atmosphere was buzzing, there is even a little country and western trio who serenade you while you eat if you are on the ground floor which is a great touch. For the smokers the bar (which is separate) allows smoking and is the only place on our trip that did. Quick tip, if walking to the garage up the road be careful and if you see Joseph the trucker with a beer and a cigarette in the bar, tell him Heather and Clark from Ireland say hi!

1  Thank Voodoochilled1
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We ate here as part of our Route 66 Man Vs Food tour this Summer.

We had a lovely time here as part of our holiday and met a nice waitress called Mary who served us - a credit to the restaurant. One of our friends tried the steak challenge so was the centre of attention for most of the evening. This meant we were able to meet lots of awesome people from all over America and this really made the trip worthwhile. We met a lovely family from Dallas and an awesome husband and wife trucker team!

The food was nice but the steak was much chewier than Cattlemen's where we'd eaten the night before. However, the flavour was still great. Sadly, we were still hungry afterwards so ordered a ribeye steak. No way was it ribeye - more like sirloin. Either way, we had some nice meat across the course of the evening and the sides were lovely.

All in all, a great visit to a legendary place where we met loads of nice people. Shame about the ribeye and the quality of our T-bone but never mind.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

The food was pretty expensive, which wasn't a problem, except that food did not live up to its name. What service we had was not good, couldn't get their attention when we needed it. This was my first and last time at The Big Texan.

1  Thank Gene R