“Best iced tea inTx, but I came for a steak an it was poor at best.”

Big Texan Steak Ranch
Ranked #14 of 532 Restaurants in Amarillo
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Buffet, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Voted as the #1 Eating contest in America by Huffington Post.Voted as 1 of the top 10 places by Draft Magazine to drink a beer at.The list goes on and on. This place is full of action and what the Wild West was all about. 2,000 Square foot gift shop that even has a live rattlesnake in there. We have 12 Hand-Crafted beers made on site with a beer style to fit almost any beer drinker. From Raspberry Wheat to Whiskey Barrel Stout with Seasonal beers to fill in such as Oktoberfest Lager & Pecan Porter. Same Lee family for the last 54-years serving 3-generations of guests. Young man, We fed your grandfather! We're Glad your Here!
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Med steak was still chilled in the middle although the outside hard a char on it. Wife hard the prime rib asked for med as well. It was stright up raw. Yes I could have sent them back but I do not eat twiced cooked at home. Don't get your expectations up.its as goodas any chain store but no better

2  Thank chasmoucho
Write a ReviewReviews (4,449)

Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in Amarillo just so we could come here to eat. The environment was great; lively and fun. We are Man v. Food fans and enjoyed watching a guest complete the 72oz steak challenge. The food left much to be desired. The best part was my Caesar salad and the fried mushrooms. I was soooo disappointed with the meal! My steak tacos came out cold and burned, probably because we had waited almost an hour to get our food. My daughters' quesadillas were burned and just gross. The chicken strips looked like they were made from frozen strips. We enjoyed the men who came by and sang Family Tradition to us. Enjoyed taking pics in the large rocking chair. All in all, we probably won't be returning. Very, very pricey. It is a great place to go just to say that you've been.

1  Thank Kathleen C
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Had to stop at the home of the 72 oz steak. Unfortunately for us no one was trying to eat it while we were there. Would have been very entertaining. It's all about the atmoshpere so don't let them stick you upstairs in the back corner. We had to stop the host in her tracks when she tried putting us back there. It was very busy!!! and service was really slow. We spent the extra to get the boot souvenir cups which was a waste of money. The regular cups are better souviners because they have info on them and you're more likely to use them again unlike the boot the I will be donateing to charity. The steak was delicious but the food is pricey. I didn't see the children's menu until after we placed our order. aw shucks. We had 6 people share 3 meals and our bill was $120. Be sure to make your way to the back to take a picture in the giant rocking chair. We fit 4 kids on it! To me it was one of those things you do once and move on.

1  Thank 3teens_saveme
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Steak had crazy good flavor...but it was a bit pricey!! $70 for myself and 2 kids (both under 10 years) the shooting gallery was awesome, IF it had only worked correctly? It would gladly take our $$$ but nothing moved as it should when targets were being hit! Manager was nice enough to refund our money since he couldn't get it going! Gift shop had awesome stuff in it but again, WAY overpriced!! Live rattlesnake in glass case was cool to see! Given the price, we've been there done that, won't go back!!

1  Thank jilla357
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I had heard of this restaurant in years past, and as my husband and I were taking our teenage kids on a road trip to Colorado, I plotted the stop for lunch into our trip. This place had great photo ops for the girls. They loved the hotel, looking like from the wild wild west days. They liked the limo's with the steer horns on the front grill. The huge Steer and the "put your face in" photos they could take of each other. We went in and were given a "beeper", it was July 4th, for us lunch was around 1:30pm and 30 min. after being given the "beeper" it was our time for a table. My husband and I noticed the gentleman working the restaurant, kept the servers, the seaters, and the bus-boys busy. He did not allow any goofing off, he worked the room and made sure no one was being idle. Fine job, anyway, then our waitress came within 5 min. and got our drink order, she was nice, friendly and efficient. We were able to order off the lunch menu which was pretty reasonable and my girls were able to split the chicken strip dinner. The food was hot, fresh, steak cooked to order and my girls left food on the table, even though they split a dinner. lots and lots of food. Service was good, no complaints. Gift shop was a necessary evil for my kids, but they had things to remember the place by and also you could keep the drink cups which had the history of the 72oz steak on it, so fun stuff for my girls. Yes it was crowded but by 2:30 the mad lunch rush was over and there were plenty of tables and not so loud by then. One special mention was the singing cowboy, he was great, he took our request for Amarillo by Morning with a smile. (you gotta know this is his most requested song, over and over) but he was a gentleman about it and also he sang a song of his own choosing after that and we thought he was just the nicest man. He spent a few minutes talking with us and we found him to be very sweet. Great touristy must do thing when in Amarillo, and if you wait until after the big lunch crowd you can get a great meal too.