“very good food and not expensive”

Golden Light Cafe & Cantina
Ranked #30 of 513 Restaurants in Amarillo
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Quebec City, Canada
“very good food and not expensive”
Reviewed July 19, 2014

Very good food at a very good price in the oldest restaurant still operating on Route 66! This place is historic! We got a special map at the Visitor Center for Route 66 in Amarillo. We were so happy about the food that we went there again on the next day. The meat from the hamburgers is much healthier than in fast food restaurants. In fact, it was written on the menu in the restaurant ''This is not fast food, this is good food''. So it is not as fast as in Mc Donalds but it is so much tastier and healthier. You can even choose a meal for people on a diet like my husband did. They also serve beers.

• Visited May 2014

Atlanta, Texas
“Yummy!”
Reviewed June 29, 2014

Oldest restaurant in Amarillo and located on Route 66. Got the Green Chili Cheeseburger and is was delicious. So were the fries! An old restaurant with character and charm!

Visited June 2014
Saint Joseph
“Great Burger but Slow Service”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

My sister and I were doing Rt 66 and this restaurant was recommended in one of our guidebooks. As far as I could see there was only one waitress for the room and an outside eating area. She seemed very efficient and I think the kitchen was having a hard time keeping up. Anyway my green chili cheeseburger was excellent. We were there way over an hour so really too long for a lunch. Also our experience was dampened by a man who sat down at an adjoining table who asked us for money and was very disheveled and kept muttering to himself. Not the restaurant's fault but .....

• Visited May 2014
Shamrock, Texas
“The Way it used to be!”
Reviewed March 2, 2014

I have eaten here several times and have never had a bad anything, (or even a mediocre anything for that matter). It is all great and cooked the way it used to be cooked! DON'T EXPECT FAST FOOD HERE. It is cooked to perfection as it is ordered. Don't expect "health food" either, there are plenty of other places to go for that. There may be some health food here but even if there were, I would pass it up for the great burgers and fries.
This is one of my favorite places to eat: not just in Amarillo, but everywhere!

• Visited March 2014
Tucumcari, New Mexico
“Quite possibly. . . . . .”
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Indeed, the burger here was quite possibly the best I have EVER had, ANYWHERE. Don't be put off by the rich character of the place, it is a greasy spoon in the very best sense of the words. The food is excellent! The 'Shroom Burger was heavenly, right off the grill in front of us, even the bun was grilled to perfection. The fries were fresh, hot, skin-on, and plentiful. This place is one of Amarillo's treasures. Don't miss it if you are traveling Route 66, and it is worth the short drive off I-40 if you are just passing through. You will be glad you did!

• Visited December 2013