“As Randy Jackson says...It was just OK”

Henk's Pit Bar-B-Que
Ranked #320 of 508 Restaurants in Amarillo
Cuisines: Barbecue
Orlando, Florida
“As Randy Jackson says...It was just OK”
Reviewed July 15, 2010

I am new to the Amarillo area, but I've either worked in or visited all of the major bbq zones in the United States (Memphis, North Carolina, Kansas City, as well as Southeast Texas). My coworkers have ranted and raved about the ribs at Henk's for weeks, so I finally decided to stop in and pick some up for dinner last night.

Whenever I eat bbq, I usually prefer pork ribs and sliced brisket, so I get both, which is what I got at Henk's. I pulled up to the drive thru and tried to order the 1/2 Slab Ribs, but was then told that "We only have three ribs left". He went ahead and sold them to me as three ribs, and I also ordered 1/4 pound of sliced brisket. I am leery about food being slathered in bbq sauce, so I always get it on the side. This allows me to taste the true juicyness and flavor of the meat without it being hidden by the bbq sauce whether good or bad. On the positive side, Henk's ribs were very well seasoned and tender, and did not need bbq sauce added at all. On the negative side they were too large and fatty for my taste. I didn't expect baby back ribs, but usually prefer and ask for the smaller end of St. Louis style ribs.

The brisket on it's own was very lean but lacked flavor and was on the dry side, so I poured on the bbq sauce and allowed it to soak in it for a while then reheated the meat. It became moist, juicy and flavorful at this point, and was much better. The best brisket I've had so far in Amarillo was from the Deli inside the Market Street Supermarket on Georgia Street. I'm hoping that one of the many bbq places here in town can satisfy my love of brisket SOME DAY SOON!!!!

If I ever return to Henk's i would get the chopped brisket with bbq sauce instead, and pass on the ribs. Their unsweetened iced tea is the best I've ever had anywhere. It had a strong yet smooth taste and I felt like driving back to the place just to get another cup.

Overall, the food was just OK, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get to Henk's. If I'm thirsty again as I am passing by on I-40, I'll definitely stop in for a LARGE CUP OF ICED TEA.. :)

“Best BBQ on the east side, but not much...”
Reviewed March 29, 2010

Best BBQ on the east side, but not much competition lol

Dallas, Texas
“Texas BBQ”
Reviewed December 21, 2008

I've been to Henk's a few times before and on the way back to Dallas stopped by again for another try. I had 2 chopped beef sandwiches and chips, price was great for a lunch under $9.......The only thing missing was the smokey flavor from the beef, it had a bland taste to me.

The place for lunch was busy, lots of repeat business so there is something to be said for that, to me it lacked a true BBQ flavor, not sure about there ribs or sausage, just the chopped beef sandwich.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Lots of food for the money, and the barbeque is outstanding. Extremely friendly staff as well.”
Reviewed January 7, 2008

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Amarillo, Texas
“Good, small joint barbecue.”
Reviewed December 25, 2007

Good, small joint barbecue.