“Late lunch at Abuelo's”

Cuisines: Mexican, Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 11, 2017

Just off canyon e/way and on 45th. interior was very well decorated aged, but well cared for with quite large dinning area, booths and tables. Service was a little slow, we ordered a ribeye and enchiladas meal and a fish and shrimp plate. Steak was very good, enchiladas good, fish and shrimp plate not so great to much red sauce on fish and half of the plate was covered with broccoli. Menu said lunch specials till 3 we arrived around 2:30, was not given lunch price for fish plate. So I feel we were overcharged. Before tip our bill was 46.13 for 2 we also had a tea and Dr Pepper. Chips and salsa were brought to the table before we even ordered so that was nice. But when we asked for extra chips and salsa we were not accommodated. We asked for more because it was taking so long for our meals to arrive and we were hungry. The waitress was very nice, I felt like she did the best she could, but was just not very good at waitressing. I would return because I think it could be a very nice dinning experience, as long as you know what to order, and say something if they overcharge you. Which I will do if we return. I give it a 4 because there is lots of potential for this to be a very nice restaurant. Just need some fine-tuning.

AbuelosManagers, General Manager at Abuelo’s, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2017

Thank you for the good feedback. We're always looking for ways to improve, so your input in appreciated. I'm glad you enjoyed the Steak and Enchiladas -it's a great choice! We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Thanks, Ken Crowe, GM

Reviewed August 11, 2017 via mobile

I used to really love Abuelo's; however since I can no longer eat gluten, I am so disappointed with the choices available for me. The GF menu is very sparse. This last time, I decided to try the tamales. Everyone at the table was completely shocked when my plate was set down. Two tiny dried out "tamales" (?) and a small scoop of beans were all that was on my plate. We probably won't go back.

AbuelosManagers, Manager at Abuelo’s, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2017

Thank you for the feedback. We’re so sorry if your visit was anything less than amazing. If you could please send your contact information to paigew@food-concepts.com. We would like a chance to contact you directly about your experience. Thanks.

Reviewed August 9, 2017

We love Abuelos for service, food, and decor. It's just a fun place to go. Moderate pricing and not dumpy.

We're so glad you had an enjoyable visit. Thank you for the kind words. We hope to see you back soon! Thanks, Ken Crowe, GM

Reviewed August 8, 2017 via mobile

Abuelo's has quality and really good drinks. On our last visit the service was good, fajitas were on point, and the margarita was fine. Abuelo's is solid Tex-Mex food. For fans of authentic Mexican food this may not be the place. They do pass "My dad's test" good chips and good salsa usually means the food is good. Service as always was fast and courteous. Overall a good place to eat (have to try the papas) and drink just know you will be getting good Tex-Mex not authentic Mexican food and a little pricey compared to some local favorites.

Thanks for the positive feedback! We’re so glad that you had an enjoyable dining experience. We look forward to seeing you soon. Thanks, Ken Crowe, GM

Reviewed July 26, 2017

The staff was wonderful in taking care of our group. The food was tasty as well. The location has plenty of parking.

AbuelosManagers, General Manager at Abuelo’s, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2017

Thank you so much for sharing your good review. Hope to see you soon! Thanks, Ken Crowe, GM