“Safe Bet Good Food”

Dining options: Reservations
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Safe Bet Good Food”
Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

We ate here on a trip thru Amarillo. Pretty good food. Portions were average, staff very helpful, prices average. I ordered the carnitas taco plate. Meat was good, not overly generous portions, heavy on the rice and refried beans. A nice place to have a decent meal.

Albuquerque, Nm
“Didn't plan on eating there but soooo glad we did!”
Reviewed April 1, 2014

So, here's the deal. If you plan to eat out at a local restaurant on a SUNDAY in Amarillo, have several choices handy! We called four other restaurants and they were all closed! But Abuelo's was open, and the great food and great service made us forget all about our previous woes.

First off, Jami, our waitress, was a delight. She was very friendly, very attentive, and made excellent suggestions for us first timers regarding the menu. And the menu is HUGE. If you can't find something (or several things) that you like, well, you're just not trying.

We started off with the dip sampler which included two types of queso (one spicier than the other) and an "avocado cream" dip. They were all very good, and the chips were light, crispy, and not greasy.

My traveling companion (TC) ordered the Pork Tenderloin with Sweet Chile Glaze, which also came with charro beans and papas con chile, a delicious concoction of mashed-like potatoes with chile and cheese in them. I ordered the green chile pork burrito which came with refried beans and papas con chile. Both dishes were so good! After one bite, I could see my TC thinking about making that chile glaze at home. The pork in each dish was very tender and flavorful. He raved about the charro beans, and we both enjoyed the papas con chile-they weren't what I was expecting from the description but no matter. They were very good. My burrito was excellent--not too hot with the chiles, just enough to give it an excellent flavor. And the refried beans were great too, especially paired with the chips and some of the queso dip!

I didn't realize until later that Abuelo's was more than just a local chain. It appears as though they have locations in about 15 states. It *looks* like a chain; that is to say it's quite large and is very nicely decorated. But the food in no way resembles typical assembly line "chain" food. It was anything but typical.

I don't know when or if I'll be back in Amarillo (or any of the other states one can find Abuelo's) but I will be sure to eat there again when I have the opportunity!

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank lyrix428
Childress, Texas
“Great food AND Service thanks to Scott!”
Reviewed February 1, 2014

Great meal was served the five of us yesterday. We ordered a variety of items from the lunch menu and everyone was very pleased. Scott never let the tea or water glasses get empty nor the chips and salsas! Great job Scott! Thank you Abuelo's for being so consistent on your great food -- again!!!

• Visited January 2014
Farmington, NM
“Some things never change”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

My first experience in an Abuelo's was in the early 90's when one opened in Midland, TX. The food, back then, was some of the best mexican food I ever had!

When in town on vacation I took my wife, who is from canada and not familiar with mexican food. I told her it would be great! We were not disappointed. The food, service and atmosphere was fantastic!

There are some things still on the menu today such as the Quesadilla al Horno (or something like that). Just as tasty now as it was 20 years ago!

• Visited December 2013
Golden, CO
“CO Bound”
Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

We stopped in while traveling through. Great food, great atmosphere, great service. We will be back next time we drive through Amarillo.