“Good food!”

Cuisines: Mexican, Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I love the food here! More tex-mex but very good! Has something for everyone. I took visitors there and even everyone is not a fan of Mexican food, everyone found something they loved!

Reviewed July 18, 2013

We travel across I-40 frequently and always stop in Amarillo specifically so we can eat at Abuelo's! I always order one of the largest combo plates and there is enough left overs for husband and I to split for lunch the next day. We really like the 3 homemade salsas. Margaritas are wonderful. Flan was creamy. We travel a lot and this is our favorite Mexican restaurant in the country

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Anytime we're in Amarillo we make it a point to eat at Abuelo's. The food is always fresh, flavorful and beautiful. You'll have a tasty start with chips and 3 different salsas that they make in-house. But save your appetite. Every dish I've ordered had plenty of food, was hot and looked picture-worthy. The service was excellent and the staff seemed to really enjoy working there... unusual these days it seems. The atmosphere is nice, with beautiful murals painted on the walls and a nice fountain in the main dining area. It feels like Mexico. However, it is usually very busy so get there early, and expect a little noise too. But don't let that deter you, this is great Mexican Food!

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Really hot salsa by request only. Just about anything you want and then some. Top shelf mexican food and margarita's a must. and for goodness sakes don't leave without their mints, a must to have.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

It' become my mission to find healthy Mexican food somewhere in the universe. You won't find it here--except for a couple of dishes that my significant other and I tried. I had a tilapia dish, and he had a dish with a fish I had never heard of. I really enjoyed mine and he said his was great. Mine had a nice light tomato-based sauce with scallops and shrimp. It was served with lime rice and broccoli. The service was good, as were the chips and salsa. We had the happy hour margarita's for $2 each. You can imagine there wasn't much tequila in those drinks. Abuelo's is a large place and pretty noisy. The other Mexican dishes looked pretty good, and the portions were huge. The prices were very reasonable, and they have small portions for some of the dishes.