“Nice Hotel”

Homewood Suites Amarillo
Ranked #13 of 72 Hotels in Amarillo
Reviewed May 29, 2012

I've stayed many of times in a Homewood Suites Hotel and enjoyed all of them. This one was an average hotel. Now I killed three huge moths in our room but I figure thats Texas (you know everything big) SMILE. The only issue we had was the air condition. It was so LOUD. Each time it turned on during the night it woke us up. It was really loud. You got to do something about that. So with regret I have to rate you average. But I'm not discourage from the Homewood Suites as an alternative when I can't find a Ritz Carlton. So work on the air condition so your customers can sleep comfortable at nigh.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 19, 2012 via mobile

I spent roughly twenty weeks here, over a three year stretch. Each visit was as good as could be expected being away from home, eventually becoming almost like home.
The staff makes the difference between a so-so hotel and a great hotel, in my opinion. Of course a solid, quiet structure makes some contribution. The beautiful decoration and furnishing did not hurt either.
I am especially grateful to Deborah, Mel and Victor.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank MarkH44
Reviewed April 26, 2012

My company puts me here. At the end of my stay one month ago I had to complain about the noise. The administration has always been super-nice. The manager arranged for my next stay to be in the quietest area of the hotel. Well, here it is one month later. I am supposed to be in the quietest area of the hotel but I am typing this at 1:00 in the morning because there has been an unbelievable amount of noise since 11 pm. I have stayed at many business suites in many cities because of my part-time jobs and I also put myself in 3-1/2 star hotels through priceline. I have never been bother by noise as much as in this place. Oh, and if you are bothered by the high rushing wind sound of the ventilation, don't stay on the third (top) floor because the air supply comes from the roof and it is strongest on the third floor, less strong on the second and gentlest on the first. My review title is due to the fact that, while reading others' reviews of this place, I was surprised to find that I had written a two star review of Homewood Suites previously. At least I am consistent. Too bad Homewood Suites is, too.
Also, the food has gotten very cheap. It is not as good as Homewood Suites food in other cities. On my last trip, the clock was an hour off, not set for daylight savings time. It took three days of requests for the clock to finally be corrected (Homewood Suites uses the Hilton bedside clocks that are not changeable by the guests). This time the clock was again off by an hour but this time it was set the next day.
All of the staff here seem to have a super-helpful attitude, especially management, but the desk clerks seem to have high turnover and always seem to be bewildered.
My next return to Amarillo is already scheduled but I am going to ask to be reimbursed for staying somewhere else.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side are supposed to be quieter but are a longer walk to the dining service. Uppe...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank satipatipatti
Reviewed April 24, 2012

Stayed there for 3 nights this last weekend. Check in was smooth, the rooms were well thought out and clean. The interior public spaces were nicely decorated, and the staff was easy to work with. My only complaint was the condition of the outdoor pool. They told us it was open, but when we walked into the pool area, it was clear it hadn't been cleaned anytime recently. I would not get in that water.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I just had a very nice stay at the Homewood in Amarillo. If you are frequent guest at Hilton properties or Homewood Suites than you like I am familiar with what a Homewood is typically like. This one is an above average property as far as elegance and upkeep. You can expect to be impressed with a nice lobby that includes a nice player baby grand.

The one thing you will find that is a slight detractor is that they operate at the minimum standard set forth by Hilton/Homewood. I would stay here again, just do not plan on being wowwed by their service.

I will note that I am a little harder on Hilton properties in my review because I stay often enough to know their standards pretty well.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 5, 2012

I have stayed at Homewood's many times and this one is by far the biggest disappointment of any Hilton branded hotel I've visited during my travels.

Plus side....check in OK (someone was at the desk), location was convenient (other Hotels adjacent that I will try on the next trip) and I walked to the Red Robin next door for dinner.

Negatives....room smelled strongly of a combination of cleaning chemicals and air freshener which became quite sickening the longer you were in the room. You had to go to the desk for ice (they keep bags at the desk but finding a desk person to help was impossible), carpet was dirty in the room and didn't appear to be vacuumed, crumbs on kitchen floor, bath tub had dirt in the bottom, no one at the desk available in the morning during check out...the "sign" was on the desk about "being out on the property will return soon". It's prime check out time in the morning and no one is working the desk? Breakfast items were not replenished once something was gone (and I was there within the first 30 minutes of serving) and the selection was by far the worst of any Homewood I've stayed in. using real dishes, glasses and silver ware does not make breakfast better or fancy.

By ratings I see many were happy with this property but other had some of the same concerns and complaints as I did. I definitely would not stay here again and would instead try one of the adjacent properties.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 28, 2012

We stayed here on our way through to California. The room was spotless, the bed (king suite) was comfortable and the pillows were awesome! We were a late arrival and so ate at one of the restaurants down the road. We left before the breakfast, so cant help you there. Would definately stay there again. So comfortable, and reasonably priced.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business