“Nice Hotel, but VERY dirty with repairs needed”

Hampton Inn & Suites Amarillo West
Ranked #8 of 72 Hotels in Amarillo
Reviewed February 21, 2011

The hotel decor is very nice and appealing. The hotel was very dirty, from the floors, to the rooms to indoor pool area. Significant mold on walls in pool room. Elevator, lobby and first floor halls are very dirty. The same shoe prints when we checked in were present when we checked out. Hotel front deak staff was not very helpful. Called the front desk when I was unable to connect to the internet. Wa directed to an 800 number. Upon reaching the tech service rep, he instantly said the hotel staff should have made me aware of the outage at the hotel. The Fitness Center has 3 machines. The 2 treadmills were not operable. 1 would not start at all, the other woud start and stop after about 15 seconds. The bike worked great. Would recommend this hotel ONLY if they cleaned up their act. As of now, do not plan to stay there on my way back through Amarillo, but will find alternate accomodations.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn & Suites Amarillo West

Reviewed September 21, 2010

My biggest issue was from the ladies bathroom down the hall from the lounge where we ate breakfast. I entered the restroom and there are only 2 stalls, the first had the door to it closed with an "out of order" sign taped to it. When I entered the 2nd stall next to it, I noticed a terrible odor, then I saw the cause of it. Someone had vomited PROFUSELY all over the commode in the stall that was closed, it had run down the front of it and was on the floor in the stall I had entered, this red vomit was EVERYWHERE on the floor in the stall next to mine. I exited the restroom and informed a female staff member of the fact that the ladies restroom needed attention, not wanting to state the problem as this staff member was in the lounge where other guests were still having breakfast. (She was not the staff providing the breakfast, it was someone else.) I assumed this had been taken care of only to re-enter the restroom 45 minutes later and finding the same mess!! We were there with out of state family and they all entered the lounge at different times that morning, we stayed in the lounge for an hour & a half visiting & drinking coffee as they came down from their rooms. It really upset me to know that SOMEONE had taken the time to shut the door to that stall, put a sign on the outside of it, and did not bother to clean it up, but when also brought to the attention of staff by me, it STILL did not get cleaned up!!! From the black mold surrounding the tub to the stained carpets, and this incident, there is NO WAY I would ever stay there again, I expected a lot more from a Hampton Inn, this Hotel was a vast disappointment.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 6, 2010

Unfortunately, we did not complete our "over-night" stay at this one, although it appeared to be clean enough and otherwise comfortable except for a major noise issue --. we were only in the room for a short time and chose to leave when another room was not available. After over a 13-hour drive and arriving in our room around 10:30 at night, we were put into a room on the 2nd floor The guests above us must have had "active" children because it sounded like a "herd of elephants" was in the room above - as though they were jumping up/down and off the beds and running around (could hear every thump/bump). I called the front desk and requested another non-smoking room, but nothing was available. I always make it a point to ask for the "top" floor because of issues like this, but didn't get it this time around. The clerk was very nice though and did offer to speak to the parents. It has been our experience that most of the time that only "tones" down the problem a little and doesn't fully resolve it. We were "very" tired and I didn't feel like spending over $100 to stay in a room that we couldn't actually "sleep" in. Of course Hampton does have their 100% Customer Satisfaction Guarantee, but again - not worth it if you can't actually sleep. HOWEVER I am still a big fan of Hampton Inn as being the most reliable choice for a clean, comfortable stay - it's just this time, it didn't work out. I "do" know that hotels can not always make guests control their children at 10:30 at night - guests need to realize that there are others below them that have paid good $ to stay as well..and most like to "sleep" at some point...personally do not think that 10:30 p.m. is an unreasonable "quiet hour" request. Honestly, I think overall I have just about given up entirely on the "Amarillo" area as a place to stop over. Even if their base rate may seem reasonable, by the time they tack on their 15% (highest we've come across from even great places like Alaska, Hawaii, etc) - Amarillo's rates are high by the time their taxes are factored in. I have literally tried just about every chain there is in Amarillo - have not come across a single one there that didn't have some kind of issues. I can't say that about anywhere else we've traveled - but can about Amarillo. Unfortunately, there's few towns closer to choose from. We did drive farther last night and had a good stay at the Days Inn in Childress, TX (nice, clean, comfortable room, beds, etc and saved ourselves $40!) We usually use Amarillo as a stop over enroute to/from Texas to Colorado -but even if it takes a bit of extra planning and maneuvering, think I'm done with making Amarillo our stopping point.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TXLuv2Travel
Reviewed April 12, 2010

stayed in Hampton inn last night in Amarillo TX @ 2AM we entered the room with missing thermostat so we called up and ask for 1. around 3 AM we were ready for bed I took the bed cover out and arranged pillows, the pillows are WET! and it's smells! AS IN! I had to change the sheets myself! And the night auditor guy gave us new pillows. That was 330Am! He said that he is going to leave a note for the manager in the morning. 10 am we went downstairs and asked for the manager, she cant even face us! The front desk staff said that she is in the conference call with the owner. WOW! how ridiculous it was! I said it's better so that the owner would know what is going on! We waited for 30 mins hoping to talk to the manager but she didn't see us at all!
The night auditor was ok. It was a very bad experience. We thought that we will be able to sleep after 11 hours of driving. The whole staff are not friendly and they don't know how to greet people! It was horrible!

1  Thank Hrm05
Reviewed March 5, 2010

I've stayed at several Hampton Inns and this one just isn't quite up to the normal standards. It's OK, but I would probably look for another option next time I'm passing through Amarillo.

First, it really seems like this was originally a Super 8 or something and then converted. Cheaper bathrooms, the arrangement of the halls, and the thinnest walls (NOISE!). I heard every one and everything.

The room was spotless clean, if somewhat dated and smaller than the norm. The staff were helpful. The breakfast was just so-so.

Also, I don't like the location. It's basically on a frontage road of the freeway. Don't expect to go for an evening walk, it seems like a light industrial area.

I've become quite loyal to Hampton Inn, as they are usually quiet good and a good value. This one didn't quite measure up.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed January 27, 2010

My first stay in a Hampton Inn (by Hilton). It's not really designed for the business traveler. The room didn't have an office chair that rose high enough to use at a desk with a computer. It did have free Internet and breakfast was included. Unfortunately, the breakfast was mostly inedible. Eggs tough as rocks, potatoes greasy. The lighting was very poor both in the room and in the facility. There was no bar. Hilton Garden Inn (my more normal Hilton stay) was next door, and I should have been there. I won't go back to the Hampton Inn if I can help it.l

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 10, 2010

Our rooms were very clean--that is the first item I check. Front office staff was helpful. Breakfast provided a good selection of everyday breakfast foods.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business