“Renovations are nice but walls are thin!”

Hampton Inn & Suites Amarillo West
Ranked #7 of 73 Hotels in Amarillo
“Renovations are nice but walls are thin!”
Reviewed November 21, 2011

Parking lot not well lit. Front desk clerk announced my room # with 2 gentlemen near by - within hearing distance. We are Hilton Honors members so we choose Hilton brands when we can. This Hampton was less than I expected.

• Stayed November 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Mineola, Texas
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Our recent stay was not impressive at all. First, you could not even tell which people were employees at the front desk and which ones were their friends visiting them. No uniforms or name tags.
The room was very outdated. The bathroom door slammed shut and jammed at the top. An older person hanging on to the door frame for support will get there fingers severely damaged.
The free breakfast was okay but they ran out of plates. One patron was told to use a bowl. For a Waffle???? And sugar free syrup was mixed in with regular syrup. The kitchen person was not very helpful when I couldn't find the regular syrup. You should never mix sugar free with anything else for safety reasons. I will not be staying at this Hampton Inn again and I am a Hilton member.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed July 30, 2011

We stayed here on our way to Dallas. This hotel is being remodeled but was not a problem for us. Very nice staff and room. We will stay here again. Lots of nice places to eat nearby.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank travelingnonni99
Missouri
Reviewed July 25, 2011

This was a decent, pleasant place to stay. The bed was comfortable. It wasn't a suite, so it did not have a refrigerator or microwave. It did have a flat screen TV. We didn't hear neighbors, so the insulation is better than most.
There is an Outback restaurant and a steak restaurant nearby and we tried both of them. The service and food was excellent at both.
We would definitely stay at this Hampton again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank dyana221
texas
Reviewed July 17, 2011

We pass through Amarillo each year on the way to and from Colorado. We usually stay at the Residence Inn but chose the Hampton because it is cheaper. We were very pleased with our stay. The rooms were clean, beds were very comfortable, and the employees were polite and helpful. The breakfast room is being renovated so the smell in the lobby was sometimes strong from the paint and glue and such, but it was not a problem once we entered the hallway and our room. The second day we were there, the interim breakfast room was crowded and the attendant had a hard time keeping up with the food demand, but other than that, I have to say that we enjoyed our stay and will stop by next year again.

• Stayed July 2011
3 Thank millrun26
Amarillo, TX
Reviewed July 17, 2011

My husband and I made our reservations for our grandson's wedding about six months ago to stay at this hotel. When we arrived, we discovered that the lobby is under renovation with a large piece of plastic dividing the lobby desk from the rest of the lobby where the only access in the lobby is access to the front desk. (The rest of the lobby is not accessible because it is under construction. The pool/sauna area door was also locked with a sign saying the pool was closed for maintenance The pool had no water in it. We were planning to invite our family over for a get together before the wedding, but were unable to use the pool at all. We asked the desk clerk how long the pool would be closed and he said "indefinitely".. We complained about our plans being ruined and he said he would give us a credit for the inconvenience. We got the bill this morning and he had deducted a WHOPPING $10 off our room. I spoke to the manager and complained again about the lack of amenities and explained the story about the family plans. She was patronizing and said we should have known the pool would have to be closed for maintenance and indicated the desk clerk was wrong that told us it would be closed "indefinitely". She did the right thing and gave us the room at no cost in an effort to make things right.
This hotel sits at the back of a property that fronts an alley and overlooks buildings on either side. Our third floor room had a view of two roofs, an alley, and the roof of an adjoining apartment complex. In Hampton's favor, though, the room was very clean and comfortable-if all one wants is a clean, comfortable room with no view, no amenities, and no indoor pool or lobby. Also, they did comp the room, so we were not out any expense-just the inconvenience and aggravation of the whole ordeal on our grandson's wedding day.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Amarillo, Texas
Reviewed June 11, 2011

It makes a difference when you are honored by the general managers presence. He checkem me in and explained he was from California. In five minutes I felt like I knew a lot about him and that we were lifelong friends. He transformed an overnight stay in Amarillo into an experience that was comparable to a magical stay out of a Disney fairy tale.

First they (hotel staff) comped a desert for me at the Hoffbrau Steakhouse (it was AMAZING) and called ahead to BWW's for me to see if I could get a seat to watch the Mav's game. They got me in, I had a great time, and the Mav's won!!!! When I got back to my room I enjoyed it too. In a nutshell, the rooms are newly renovated, they have the best complimentary breakfast I've EVER had, and always had cookies and refreshments available. If you are in Amarillo you absolutely HAVE to see if you can get a room there!!!

Room Tip: It's a Hilton