“Great staff, comfortable rooms, convenient location”

Courtyard Amarillo West/Medical Center
Ranked #35 of 72 Hotels in Amarillo
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I can't say enough about the friendly desk staff at this Courtyard. Our car had broken down on a cross-country trip and the front desk staff couldn't have been more helpful. Quiet, clean, comfortable. Lot's of restaurants near by, movie theater a short walk. The only thing that kept me from giving this place 5 stars is the shortage of help for the breakfast area and mediocre breakfast offering. Thanks again for making a weary, stressed set of travelers relax while their car spent two days in the shop.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
CYAmarillo, Director of Sales at Courtyard Amarillo West/Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Thanks for your review. I am very happy to hear that we were doing our job for your stay. Having car trouble while on vacation is a terrific nuisance and I am happy to hear we made a difficult situation a llittle better. We enjoyed having you and we look forward to seeing you again!
Warm Regards to you and your family.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

We spent only one night at this Courtyard Amarillo Marriott but it was everything Marriott Courtyards promise -- clean, quiet, comfortable beds, good a/c, and reasonable in price (just under $150 for 2 with taxes). I prefer the one downtown, but for sentimental reasons, since I lived in Amarillo when I was a child. There are many restaurants near this hotel, and the desk clerk recommended The Saltgrass Steak House, and it was superb.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
CYAmarillo, Director of Sales at Courtyard Amarillo West/Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Mr. Cole, Thank you so very much for the kind words, it is our goal to make each guest's stay as pleasant as possible and to be able to recommend area attractions and good places to eat. We are very pleased you chose our hotel on I-40 and we hope that next time you are in Amarillo you will choose us again and we hope to surpass your guest experience. Happy traveling!

Reviewed March 12, 2013

Very well kept up and clean. Friendly front desk staff. Room was in excellent shape. I had a room on the third floor, south end, and there was a small amount of highway noise I noticed as I went to bed - I put the a/c on continuous run and that took care of that. I may have misread the hotel book in the room, but I thought it said that breakfast opened at 6 am. I was surprised to find the place dark and a sign saying that it opened at 630 am when I got downstairs. They opened right at 630 and while it was a buffet, I expected at least a little service. There was a large sign on the table that I could get eggs cooked to order, but no one ever came by to check on anything. After 10 minutes, I flagged down someone to take my egg order. The omelot was huge and delicious when it did arrive. I suggest they invest in some paper napkins on the table - instead of napkins, they had those thin, white paper towels, like the ones you dry your hands with in the bathroom. Breakfast buffet was reasonably priced at $8.95. Turns out, their cash register was out of order so they gave us the breakfast for free!

Room Tip: Rooms to the north are farther from the highway and traffic noise
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
CYAmarillo, Director of Sales at Courtyard Amarillo West/Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Thank you so much for your nice comments and wonderful suggestions. I have reviewed your review of our hotel with our staff and breakfast staff. We always like to hear how we served our guests and how we can improve. If you stay with us again I am sure your breakfast experience will be much better. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

great value, quiet hotel. great restaurants nearby. an excellent experience. stayed there on a sunday after a long week of work and travel. got some great rest and relaxation. very nice service and staff.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you so much for your very kind remarks. It is our goal to make everyone's stay the best it can be, it is nice to hear we succeeded with you. We look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

We got stuck in Amarillo on our way home to Michigan by a big bad snowstorm named Rocky.We
were lucky to stay at the courtyard Marriott, and The staff, especially Tracy, at the front desk made our stay there warm and inviting. Tracy really went above and beyond, and considering she couldn't get home, and many employees couldn't get in, she never let it show that she had been there 24 hrs+. She was very patient and helpful to all of us travelers, and pulled double, and triple duty.

Room Tip: All rooms large & spacioius. Good beds, nice linens.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Marian F
Reviewed January 29, 2013

To begin with all requested aspects of my room sent a week in advance and request was never read by either hotel or their Corp. Arrived room one no working lights, room two poor working shower and damaged bath. Then their was incorrect billing issues that required a call to corp. to get directions on how to correct. Now I will add the staff were extremely friendly and did all they could in their power to make me happy. Many areas of the hotel were well done what was working was working great. But the icing on the cake as to me never staying at this hotel again was the house keeping they were out of time and out of sink our room was poorly cleaned and we slept on the same sheets for 3 nights... that was the deal breaker. Staff needs better training to do their specific job and the manager should work more on hands with staff and with guest issues rather than running his hotel from the 3rd floor. This hotel really needs a make over and new manager.

Room Tip: Always check your room before checking in
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Quirt_12
CYAmarillo, Director of Sales at Courtyard Amarillo West/Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

I would like to thank you for all of your comments, we accept all comments good and bad as we feel we can learn from both. I am sorry for your troubles getting into a room and having to change rooms, this is not something we want our guests to have to do. We have had discussions with our cleaning staff regarding this issue and have taken controls to prevent a guest getting into a room that is not ready. You are right, some of our bathrooms do have cracks in the tiles from settelling of the building, I apologize, these have happened over time. You are correct, on guest stayovers we do not change the sheets each day, unless the guest requests that we do. Marriott has taken a proactive stance on the green initiative in trying to save water and detergent. In the future if you are staying at a Marriott property just request to have your sheets changed each day and the staff will happily do so. Again I apologize for the confusion. I do hope that your stay here does not affect your future business with Marriott.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

I explained to front desk upon arrival that I had traveled 14 hours to see my elderly mother in the hospital, I was now on my way home and driving by myself. Bone weary and extremely sad to say the least and wanted a very quiet room so I could really get some rest.

They gave me room 103 near the exit. I got settled in and then I could hear people in the room to my left. I could hear people going up and down the stairs and banging the exit door to my right. The faucet on the tub can turn almost all the way around, sort of broken. The sofa looked worn and soiled. I picked up the phone to ask for another room but the phone piece was not connected to the phone at all, I tried to get it connnected but it did not work. I had to get dressed and go to the front desk in person and walk down to get another room, pack up and move.

The next room on the 3rd floor was pretty much just fine except you have to remember to jiggle the toilet handle to keep it from continuously running before you jump back in your cozy bed and realize you will now have to get up and fix it or try to ignore the running water sound. It took about 5 trys to get the coffee maker to work.

Room 103 shouldn't even be rented out. It's very noisy and should be inspected for things to be in working order. Though the staff seemed very nice and sincere/understanding, why did they give me this room? It was possibly the worst room they have.

Room Tip: Don't get room 103.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank interiordesigner
CYAmarillo, Director of Sales at Courtyard Amarillo West/Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

I am so sorry that you had such a horrible time at our hotel and I offer our sincere apologies. i do appreciate you letting us know of your experience and the things you found wrong in our rooms. Becauseof your report I am able to let our maintenance person know of the problems so that we can get them fixed for the next guests. I am sorry that we had to gain this knowledge because of your bad experience. Please accept our apology and know that our standards are higher than you experienced.
Courtyard Management