“Just fine... and fun! Yee haa!!”
Review of Big Texan Motel

Big Texan Motel
Ranked #29 of 72 Hotels in Amarillo
Reviewed July 10, 2007

The whole family was relocating to Fort Worth from Denver. The drive typically takes 12 hours, but the large/heavy trailer we had made it about 18+ hours.

We had to make an unplanned stop overnight, and heard about the Big Texan Motel from "Grandma." So we called 411 for the number and the hotel was VERY accomodating - gave us two connecting rooms for us and our dog.

I cannot comment on the dirty pet rooms that others have found. Our rooms were very clean, large, and were decked-out like a Texan souvenir shop; extremely fun if you're looking to satisfy your Texas "fix." It's a very "meant to be tacky" property.

We stayed in two rooms in the newer wing of the hotel, connected to the Texas-shaped pool. There was plenty of room to park our SUV with U-Haul trailer attached.

One thing to note: This is a non-business-friendly property. There is no high-speed internet, and the phones do not permit you to plug in a telephone modem cable (the cable cannot be removed from the phone). The restaurant has a sign that it is a "free WiFi area," but I was unable to get a connection anywhere on the property.

I travel all over the world and say in some very nice 5-star hotels. While not a 5-star hotel, this property is just fine from what I've seen and is a lot of fun.

Yee haa!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8  Thank captjosh

Reviewed June 15, 2007

my husband thought that this was just the neatest looking place and since we were planning on eating at big texas on our way through amarillo, we would spend the night there. the shower took about 5 minutes to get hot, then the water wouldn't drain. the table was about to fall apart, the t.v. was sitting on a strange looking tray. we slept about 5 hours and and checked out at 4:30 in the morning. horrible experience ! also,food at big texas wasn't even all that great. our steaks were over-cooked. instead of taking money off the bill,the manager gave us a piece of carrot cake. we won't be back!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank uniquegirl
Reviewed June 12, 2007

If you have a reason to be in Amarillo, you really should stay here. This motel has more character than any other option on the strip in Amarillo. We paid around $75 including tax - but I felt it was worth it. It was quiet, felt safe, and we followed it up with a great breakfast in the morning. The wood panelled rooms are a little cheesy - but the shutters are great at keeping out light... the Texas shower curtain is great. The pool is unbelievable. Everything seemed clean - albeit a little run down. I used my own pillows and my own towels but just because theirs seemed threadbare. There are also a number of bizarre signs throughout the room about how you will be charged if you steal the towels - those were not especially welcoming.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank apdva
Reviewed January 8, 2007

We booked this motel based upon the photos from the website. We were anxious to try the Big Texan Steakhouse as well. We arrived a little late (approx. 9:00 p.m. local time) and so we were really hungry. We had booked a pet room, so we checked in at the office and went directly to dinner. (Our dog stayed in the car). Service was slow at the restaurant and so it was pushing 11, 11:30 by the time we were done. We went to our room, and to our dismay there were large urine stains from animals in our room. We called the front desk and told them our male dog was sniffing like crazy and we were afraid he was going to "mark" his territory. They told us not to worry, we wouldn't be charged for the preexisting condition. We decided we couldn't sleep for worry, combined with the overpowering smell of animal urine.

We went to the front desk and the manager wasn't in. The front desk called the manager who said "no refund" based upon the fact that it had been 2 hours plus since we checked in. We tried to explain to the desk clerk that we hadn't immediately gone to our room or we would have mentioned it then. She was pleasant, but played dumb. I didn't want to get upset with her as she obviously was doing what the manager said. My husband, son and I then headed out into the driving rain to find another hotel. Our room was not inhabitable. This, and the cost of the room was more than what we paid for much nicer rooms (pet rooms as well) with chains like Holiday Inn. Terrible experience, terrible service.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
6  Thank steelers4life3
Reviewed December 26, 2006

I was looking forward to this motel, and much of the rest of our trip will take place staying at Marriots. The place definitely has character, I liked my wood panelled room. The children loved the outlaw posters on the wall. I was a little concerned about a crumbling and leaning (apparently failing) column that held up the second floor corridor near our first floor room. The showers in adjoining rooms were very loud. The television wasn't working too well, seemed to have had tracking problems that reminded me of the TV I grew up with in the 70s. I liked it, but I don't think I'd be able to convince my husband to stay there again. I do have to say that I thought it was a good value for the money (around $57). The room and bathroom were very clean, and the office staff very friendly.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
2  Thank kewm
Reviewed September 6, 2006

Stayed here for just 1 night with a tour group but the rooms are fantastic.no 2 rooms are the same we had the pink one complete with cowhide bed covers,wooden bed heads a shower curtain with the flag of texas on it!total country charm!had dinner in the steakhouse-try and eat the steak if u can its 3.2kg-if u can its free.one of our guys tried and failed.loved this place-it was like being inside a western movie!

• Stayed: June 2006
3  Thank princessvixen
Reviewed August 27, 2006

We had a nice stay. Drove straight from Nashville, TN to here just because I saw it on here and it was soooo cheesy looking I had to stay here. Check in clerk was very nice, but they said they had 2 reservations for me for some reason. No worries, they took care of it. Room was clean and cheesy. Western decor and swinging saloon doors. We were there a short time, so we didn't get to enjoy the pool but I would have loved to. I think it's a great motel for the price, interesting people working over at the restaurant.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with friends