“Never again”

Ranked #27 of 73 Hotels in Amarillo
arkansas
“Never again”
Reviewed October 6, 2009

Bathroom filthy. Carpet in room almost black from filth. Restaurant highly overrated and over priced. Food definitely not worth the price. Steak had too much fat and was tough. Potato hard as a brick.

• Stayed September 2009
1 Thank emtgranny

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
South Carolina
Reviewed September 7, 2009

This place is kinda cheesy, but it's cute if you like that sort of thing - rustic, rough log hewn furniture, cowhide bedspreads, Texas flag shower curtain, old fashioned window shutters with wooden lock bolts, etc. The motel is built to look like an old western town and has some good photo opportunities. We stayed in the newer section, and everything was in good repair, but the room needs some LIGHTS! The towels were not fresh. I think after using the towels, the previous occupants had folded them and put them back on the shelf, and no one changed them out, and the tub was filthy. We didn't use it, but there is a pool shaped like Texas, where a couple was not very discreetly having sex in the water.
I'd also like to mention that when I made the reservation, the clerk was quite rude. I asked for one of the themed rooms, and her reply was, "You're lucky to get a room at all." Then we were overcharged, and when I questioned the rate, I was told, "Well, that's how much our rooms are," with a real "take it or leave it" attitude.
It is a fun place to stay with all kinds of atmosphere, if you can handle the hassle.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank TravelingfromDixie
McKinney, Texas
Reviewed September 3, 2009

We arrived at the Big Texan Motel and found that the 49. room rate I was quoted when I initially reserved a roomwas incorrect. It was actually 79. a night. We thought by looking at the outside that it might be a fun place so we stayed anyway. The motel is themed like an old western town, inside and out.
After we checked in, we went into our room and found a fly swatter sitting in the window sill. It was not for decoration as they're were a lot of flies buzzing in the window.
After killing flies for about an hour, I decided to shower which was another adventure, as the water went from warm to scalding hot to freezing cold back to hot etc.. I finally gave up and just toweled off to get ready for dinner. It was then that I noticed that the wall area by the floor was rotted out with water damage.
The carpet and bed spread could have used a thorough cleaning and the AC could have used a tune up as it was not cooling very well.
Don't let the outside fool you. Save your money and stay elsewhere.

1 Thank philco214

Travelers are raving about these Amarillo hotels

Dallas, TX
Reviewed August 20, 2009

OK, I could not get past the flies in the room. There were at least 9 flies at the window trying to get out. No kidding. Then I notice a fly swatter sitting there. Because apparently this is typical! I tried to killed them all but was just so grossed out.

I did feel that it was somewhat overpriced by the looks of it. Run down. And the flies.

St. Louis, Mo.
Reviewed August 13, 2009

We stayed in the Big Texan Motel for one night. The room was not very clean. There was a very large storm that caused power to go for quite a while. We tried to reason with the desk clerk about our child with Asthma, he needs A/C to sleep. Clerk was not willing to help with even calling to find out when power would be restored. Power did finally go back on, A/C was not cold at all. Room was full of Texas sized flies, we would not stay there again!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank TravelerStLouis55
OKC
Reviewed August 13, 2009

As my husband just said, it's like the "state fair" of restaurants. We stayed here because we like to eat at the Big Texan and it looked hilarious. It was. We were fortunate enough to be given the honeymoon suite. I'll attach pictures.

If you want to stay somewhere nice with no road noise, this is not the place. But if you are looking for something different that's a little fun I would totally recommend it. Our room had a Western theme with something called a "in room steam bath".

The rooms were clean enough, but come on, no one is staying here because it is so nice anyway. It's just funny. I would stay there again.

2 Thank Okietourist
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed August 10, 2009

Oh my God! We went and had dinner at the Big Texan and I ordered a 16 oz Strip. It was deliciously flavored, but I only got to eat about 5 oz of it due to the fat and facia. The manager came to the table and say the huge pile of inedible waste on my plate and did not even offer a comment about our dinner. After finding out about the hotel, we decided to have a drink after we found out that they had a hotel as well. The manager did suggest a beer that was great! When my wife ordered a glass of wine, the manager quickly suggested a glass of wine instead of the one that she ordered. It was $3 more and half the quality of her original request. The server was incredible though. He was very helpful.
After attempting to fill our belly with a great meal we decided to retire to our room after the 1100 mile journey we made. I unloaded my guitars, two mountain bikes and 6 pieces of luggage and headed for the shower. Upon entry to the shower, I discovered a thick layer of scum in the bathtub and a handful of slivers of soap. Too tired from my journey and kind of perturbed from the well below marginal meal at the Texan, I pulled down the covers to my bed. To my surprise, I found a handful of cracker crumbs. Dismayed, I tried the other bed. It had several pubic hairs in it. My wife immediately called the front desk and and informed them of the condition of the room. The very friendly and apologetic clerk offered to change our rooms. So, I checked the beds of the new room and found them to be clean and proceeded to transfer our belongings to it.
1100 miles and $120 later (counting dinner) I discover that our toilet does not work. It ends up that it has been shut off so I turned it back on. After it filled, I used it and flushed it. Would you believe that the darn thing overflowed? ( The exact reason it had been shut off).
All that I can say is OH HELL!!! I do not recommend this place to anyone. I paid right at $70 for the room and have found more value at a crack head infested motel priced at $29 per night.
If you dont mind going through this, and do not mind being up at 1am moving your things again and writing a review, then go ahead and stay. I am sure there is a corporate chain near that is cheaper and much cleaner.
Oh yeah, the cable is not working either. I normally do not watch television, but I am royally pissed and need something to calm me down.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business