“Cute, but with reservations...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Big Texan Motel

Big Texan Motel
Ranked #26 of 73 Hotels in Amarillo
Wichita Falls, Texas
“Cute, but with reservations...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

This was a cute, Western themed hotel. The front staff was very friendly and accomodating, and the hotel itself is next door to the Big Texan restaurant. The room was certainly rustic, but very dated; the ceiling, both inside and out, was damaged in places, but that may have been part of the overall feel that the hotel was trying establish. There is a "horse hotel" right behind this portion of the hotel; thus, parking was a bit of a challenge one night due to where one horse trailer parked. Comfortable bed, but I wasn't all that comfortable in this room overall. I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: If you want the "rustic" rooms, make sure you get one in the portion in front of the horse...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank RebeccaClydeBerry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014

The Big Texan was not what I expected. I didn't read any reviews or look at any pictures before we booked our room, and maybe that's the best way to do it. We drove into the parking lot and our jaws dropped. It was just so Texas. The motel room fronts were decorated as an old western town. We stayed in the unnamed, Brown section. The bedroom was complete with brown suede everything, including shower curtain, and swinging saloon doors to the bathroom area. We loved it because it was just so perfectly cheesy. They even have a Texas shaped swimming pool. The beds were very comfortable and the staff was pleasant. One inconvenience was that the wifi didn't quite reach our room for some reason. It worked in the restaurant and outside of our room, but not inside.
We went for a drink at the Big Texan Restaurant, a just-as-cheesy counterpart to the motel. There are arcade-style shooting games, slot machines, a giant rocking chair, and even a maze. The staff is very friendly and dress like cowboys and girls. We got talking to some locals and some drifters and had a great time.
The motel and the restaurant are a bit pricey, but it's an experience you won't soon forget.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2014

I stayed here in 2001, and really looked forward to coming back. It was somewhat anticlimactic. The front desk staff were friendly. They are not capable of making reservations on line, which is odd in this century.

I stayed in the back building. The room was clean enough for me, but my wife would not like it if she had been with me. The beds were so-so. There is NO wifi signal in the back building, at least not in my room. Thank Science for iphones.

The shower head was way too short. I am 5' 10" tall, and if I directed the nozzle upwards, it sprayed my arm pits. Thankfully, I have no hair to wash.

I heard quite a bit of truck noise in the back building. It's adjacent to the truck parking.

I did enjoy the western motif. The window shutters were a nice touch. Now that it's out of my system, I think I'll stick with the major chains.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Burleson, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2014 via mobile

We stayed just overnight. Our room was very fairly priced and the staff at the front desk was very personable. The room was clean. The bed was comfortable and I slept well. We stayed in the Alamo building and the room we were in was older. The place is fun for picture taking. I rate this place as average just because it's a basic motel and serves it's purpose.

• Stayed May 2014
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014

The outside is themed like an old western town street and the rooms follow this quirky theme. I was especially amused by the saloon doors to the bathroom. The room was clean and well equipped with toiletries, the bed was comfortable but the room was dull. I was on the ground floor and couldnt have the shutters open to get the light as there was no curtain to shield the inside from the people outside bearing in mind there was a crowd of bikers in the next rooms.I didnt find the reception staff particularly friendly.
Its a fun place to stay for the night and you must go to the Steak Ranch next door which has a great atmosphere

Room Tip: Avoid ground floor
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014

Stayed: December 2012.
2 double beds. Sink is separate to shower & toilet.

Pros:
- Big Texan Steak Ranch is next door for those wanting to attempt the eating challenge, or just have a meal.
- Shampoo/conditioner 2-in-1 provided.
- Quirky decor, very fun environment.

Cons:
- No in room safe.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank meandmyreviews
England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014 via mobile

This hotel completely exceeded my expectations. It was clean, comfortable and it felt likewe were in cowboy town with saloon doors and themed linen and pictures. Flat screen tv with many channels. The pool was even amazing, in the shape of Texas!

Would definitely go back!

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends