“Unique”

Ranked #29 of 73 Hotels in Amarillo
Great Horkesley, United Kingdom
“Unique”
Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I booked this hotel for a stay during our Route 66 tour. It looks like an old western town and the rooms are decorated in the same theme.

Our room had 2 queen beds, coffee-maker, and a huge tv.

One of the best reasons to stay is to eat at the restaurant which has great food and service and, of course, the 72oz steak challenge as seem on Man v Food. You get a $2 off breakfast voucher for staying in the hotel and the French Toast was the best we have ever tasted.

There is an excellent gift shop and arcade too.

Would recommend to anyone as a fantastic themed experience.

Only complaint would be that we could not connect to the free Wifi in the room, but who cares?

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
New York
Reviewed November 6, 2013

My husband and I spent a night at the Big Texan Motel on a cross country Route 66 Adventure. In all honesty I thought that it was going to be tacky beyond repair and was staying for the novelty, but left totally impressed with their quality and service.

Holly in check in was delightful and we got a good rundown of Amarillo and the Big Texan experience. Our room was larger than I expected and the decor was just oodles of fun. A wild western mural covered one wall. There was a saloon style swinging door to separate the living and sleeping area from the closet and bathroom area. There was a Billy the Kid wanted sign, wooden walls and a western themed lush bedspread. The bed was super comfy which is not often found in motels. The theme tied together nicely while still being tasteful. The bed was super comfortable and there was a mini fridge to keep our sodas. Wifi was free which was a huge plus.

The Big Texan has a lot of unique features including a Texas shaped swimming pool, a horse hotel, and a fleet of longhorn limos that picks people up anywhere in Amarillo and brings them to the Big Texan. The motel itself looks like an old western village and has lots of benches and swings. It is pet friendly and features a run for your dogs to play, including an obligatory fire hydrant. There is a really great geocache on site too.

Of course we had dinner at The Big Texan Steak Ranch. Both my husband and I genuinely enjoyed their food. My prime rib was great. All the servers were very friendly and gave great suggestions. We loved the wandering musicians. We did not try the 72oz challenge, nor was anyone doing it while we were there, but it blows my mind to know how many people have accomplished this! Another neat plus was the drinks were served in take home plastic cups filled with fun facts about the Big Texan. Once you have survived the meal, you can have extra fun there. They have a fudge counter and huge gift shop featuring a real rattlesnake. They also have a hopping bar area with a lot of signature drinks. Best of all, an old shooting gallery. We had an absolute blast.

The Big Texan earned its 5th star in my review for the sheer fun factor. We had so many laughs and were so amused by everything we saw here that I can't help but rate it highly. I also have to mention Amarillo has a lot of spirit and great antique stores. I would love to spend more time here someday and am so happy we picked the Big Texan Motel for our first visit.

2 Thank RobynPringTravel
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Glad that we stayed here for one night, it was so much fun! We'd stay again. The hotel has an old west campy cowboy theme. From the wood shutters on the windows that were totally old western fun to the swinging bar doors to the bathroom sink area. There was a pool shaped like Texas too. Like I said I would stay again but we had a couple negatives about it, the pillows were really flat, and the bathroom could use updated.But that's really it. OH we did have one little thing happen while we stayed, the hot water heater went out and the hotel (full) not having any hot water in the morning, so no shower. I wasn't even mad, my wife was though, but things happen, just had to laugh about it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed October 12, 2013

This review is based upon the Big Texan Motel, not the restaurant, which has it's own review(s). Located along side I-40, this motel is a "blast from the past", a roadside motel with a cowboy theme! On a weeknite stay in September, we stayed here for one nite, and found everything to be fun & above average. The check in staff were very very friendly, as were any other staff we encountered. The rooms while dated, were maintained very well, and of course were very clean. The Big Texan motel also has Pet friendly rooms (I would recommend a reservation!), in a separate building (The Alamo Building) in the rear, near the pool. Plenty of parking rite in front of your door as this is an "Old style motel". And of course, having the Big Texan Steak Ranch outside your room is another great feature of this unique motel! Plain & Simple, a clean fun motel....Overall Rating ~ Very Good!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank larilu
Colonia, New Jersey
Reviewed October 2, 2013

My friends and I stayed for one night on our way to Santa Fe. The pictures do not lie, it is about as cowboy as you can get. We stayed in the Alamo building because one of us is a smoker and it was so campy it was adorable. We had cowhide bed covers, shutters on the windows, cowgirls on the shower curtain and what looked like furniture right off the ranch. we loved loved loved it! The staff was extremely kind and helpful and tried to tend to our every need, but the internet was not cooperating so we could not connect to the Wi-fi. We had dinner at the Steak House and OMG! it was the best steak I have ever eaten, we left there completely satisfied and the price of our meal didn't kill us. There is a bar and music out back and since we stopped in on a Saturday, there was quite a crowd. We did get coupons for the breakfast buffet in the morning, and again we ate our fill before hitting the road. I am traveling that way again this summer and my group will definitely be stopping in for the night. My husband is going to take on the 72 oz. Steak Challenge!

Room Tip: It is very crowded on Saturday evenings, we waited over a half hour to be seated, but there were thi...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank corniemom
Seagoville, Texas
Reviewed October 1, 2013

One first glance the motel looks like a wild west town, with each "building" an upstairs room and a downstairs room. No curtains... the windows have shutters inside, a swingin' bar door leads to the bathroom area, and all the furniture is heavy wood. The linens were microfiber, which is a delightful change from standard polyester bedspreads. The beds were comfortable, water pressure in the shower was AWESOME, and everything was new and fresh. The room comes with complimentary coffee and a coupon for $2 off the breakfast buffet at the Big Texan Steak Ranch next door.

1 Thank KristiTyson
Platteville, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed September 30, 2013

we chose this place because we like quirky places and were looking for something on Hwy 66. I wanted an in room jacuzzi and the only room they had was the bridal suite, since this trip was for our anniversary I thought why not. Why not is because the room was way too noisy. It is located above the office, the windows howl in the constant wind, there is no insulation we might as well have been in a tent next to the interstate it was so loud with truck noise all night long, the blinds do not shut out the light from the huge lights in the parking lot. Maybe the other rooms would have been better, but this one should not have been open for people to stay in that wanted to sleep or a romantic spot for a honeymoon. The jacuzzi was just a large tub in the bathroom. We would not stay here again.

Room Tip: choose a room other than room 200
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Amarillo hotels