“Are you serious?”

Motel 6 Amarillo Airport
Ranked #44 of 72 Hotels in Amarillo
Reviewed December 20, 2010

The fact that it was out of the way was not the biggest problem. The rooms are advertised to be remodeled and clean. Since this adddress used to be a Red Roof Inn did not bother us. The room was dirty! The wood look floors had not been cleaned. The bath/shower had black hair on the walls! The pillow cases on both beds had the seams on the outside of the the case! Could they not have taken two seconds to turn them right side out? Makes me wonder if they did this to prevent them from changing the sheets. One set of sheets had someones oily rear end marks on it. Did I mention the the ice bucket had hair inside of it? No thanks!!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed December 20, 2010

This Motel 6 has been refurbished. Please don't get this one confused with the one directly on the other side of Interstate 40. This one is very nice. The front desk was very friendly. The Motel was clean. The bed was a little hard, even though it was new. The flooring is a bamboo composite which is probably the best for a Motel 6. It is pet friendly. Best deal around.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 52FunTraveler
Reviewed October 18, 2010

We look for a clean, quiet place with no frills to stay within our travel budget so Motel 6 often works well for us and this was a good one. It appeared to have been recently redecorated and was actually a very attractive room!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 22, 2010

We were moving across country with pets, and had stayed at La Quinta properties the previous two nights. After reading the reviews of this property vs. the La Quintas in Amarillo, we opted to stay here. Big mistake.

At first glance, it looked like a typical Motel 6. Inside, the room appeared to have been refurbished. Even after finding two large spiders, we decided to stay.

We expected bare bones, but we also expect clean, quiet and a comfortable bed. I cannot say that this room had any of the above. The floor desperately needed cleaning and the bathroom certainly had not been cleaned since the last guest left.

The walls in this place are paper thin. You can hear everything in the adjoining rooms and the freeway traffic.

The only thing thinner than the walls was the mattress. It was like sleeping on a thin layer of foam over a piece of plywood.

This was the first and only place that our pets did not sleep - they were up all night. We woke up at 3am, packed our stuff and continued west - and we had driven from Erie to St. Louis to Amarillo over two days. We should have been able to sleep anywhere (if that tells you anything).

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2010

This is the place to stay if you're looking for good no-frills lodging while on the road. We decided to stay here (rather than a nearby Motel 6) because it had been recently remodeled and we were not disappointed. The a/c kept the room nicely cool. The only disappointment was that the Motel 6 on-line reservation system failed to tell the motel that I requested a first floor room - not a small matter when my wife has a medical condition that makes it difficult for her to climb steps.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 17, 2010

A great price without "the penalties"

Motel6.com says that this location has recently been renovated, so I wanted to give it a try. I asked the front desk clerk for a room that's not facing the highway, since the sound of traffic is almost deafening from the front parking lot. She gave us a room upstairs facing the pool, and once we were in and closed the door, the highway noise was pretty much gone!

The room was very clean, and did not even have a trace of cigarette smoke. The flooring was all laminate, which looked liked bamboo. I appreciated this: it makes it easier for me to inspect for stains, and it's obviously easier for housekeepers to clean. All of the sheets were free from stains, and the bathroom had no noticeable traces of mold or stained caulking. They do offer wi-fi, but it's not free. The first page that popped up said $5.99 for unlimited access. I passed and settled for the usual selection of cable TV.

It's a small room, I wouldn't recommend trying to entertain children inside. The bathroom is very small, everyone had to finish getting dressed in the middle of the room. One of our beds had a good squeak to it and the toilet was going on and off. I just put our kid on the noisy bed, and turned the water off to the toilet before we went to sleep. There were a few motorcycle groups checked in, but they seemed "well behaved". Sometimes these cheaper hotels can attract a noisier crowd, but most of the other guests that night seemed to be just in need of a good night's sleep.

If they can keep these new rooms clean, I'll definitely be back with my family!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 7, 2007

I booked this through hotels-guides.us. I thought I paid on line but was told when I checked in, that it merely held the room. What's the point in that?
They also told me I was reserving a Red Roof Inn. It was also on my confirmation sheet as Red Roof Inn. When I called information to get the number, they couldn't find a Red Roof Inn in Amarillo. I had to call the 800 number for R.R.I. and was then told it was a Motel 6. Since it was Saturday, I was forced to keep the reservation since there was virtually nothing for miles.
The R.R.I. was supposed to have WiFi, this didn't. It SEEMS like I saw something about a continental breakfast, Motel 6 had free coffee.
Shady traffic through the parking lot late at night. They could probably use some on site security.
Neither of the front desk people could tell me how to get out to an outdoor play in Palo Duro Canyon, only the biggest tourist attraction in the Texas Panhandle. They couldn't even get me to the highway that would get me to the play.
Other than that, the room was clean and a decent bargain.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Buzz78610