“West Texas respite w/Canadian "aviators"”

Staybridge Suites Amarillo-Western Crossing
Ranked #18 of 72 Hotels in Amarillo
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Brandon was the Staybridge Suites hotel manager who ensured our memorable "bucket list" multi-generational trip/stay in Amarillo to see the musical "Texas" in Palo Duro Canyon in early August. We booked 2 rooms next door to each other online, requesting one accessible room. Neither room had bathroom safety bars, so he showed us a 2 bedroom suite with safety bars and step in shower. The spacious room allowed all 5 of us to have our meals in the living room/bar area and to rest in separate rooms at anytime of day or night. He took care of moving us quickly to the better option and recommended nearby restaurants that were wonderful. One unexpected perk, a flock of Canadian geese walked with us on a road bordering a pond right behind the hotel. Unexpectedly cool weather in the Texas Panhandle made this waddle [ducks]/stroll [people] a pleasure.
The room was in a perfect location for us, on the 1st floor and near the fitness room and exit near the back parking lot. We shared 1 wall with the indoor pool and there was noise from happy children during the day, but not at night. That was not an issue with our group, but might be for others. The breakfast buffet here is extensive, fresh and tasty. Recommend the Texas-shaped waffles!

Room Tip: North side is quieter away from the pool, but if you enjoy a dip, the south side has access to the i...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Staybridge Suites Amarillo-Western Crossing

Reviewed September 17, 2013

It was beautiful inside and out. Our suite was very spacious and it was nice to have that extra space with a baby and toddler. Wish we'd been staying longer than one night. All areas were very clean as well.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I was very impressed!! I didn't check, but it must be a new property because it still had the "new" smell. I booked it the day of our stay for one night (Friday night) since we were just passing through on a road trip. My main reason for picking this place was the previous ratings and price. When you enjoy road trips but have to get a hotel each night, price becomes a factor. We got a room on the first floor but unlike another reviewer's experience, we did not have any noise problems. The suite was very large and decorated in a contemporary style. The bed was SUPER comfortable and there was good water pressure. Outside our window was a BBQ grill and also a fire pit with seating. Very nice if you were going stay a while. Breakfast was tasty (not rubber eggs) and hot and the variety was good. There was a fitness center with a pretty good variety of equipment and everything was clean. The only thing I noticed that was wrong was that our bathroom floor had bare footprints on it from the previous occupant. That was a little bit of a turn-off. Even with that, I would stay again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This hotel has really nice amenities and the shower and decor was really nice. Not to mention the rooms are huge. However, we did not sleep well here due to the noise. The walls are really thin and so are the floors. We could hear the guest above us in the early morning hours walking around. My suggestion is to request a top floor room. That should do the trick and bring this hotel up to 4 or 5 stars.

The breakfast is also pretty tasty. The soda fountain was out of order when we were there. But, they had self-made waffles, scrambled eggs and bacon/sausage.

Other than the noise, it was a good place!

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor room because the walls are thin
Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites Amarillo-Western Crossing, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Dear Peacelovevacation,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. We are so glad to read the positive comments you had. It encourages our team members to work even harder and consistently delight our guests. We would also like to apologize for the experience you had with the noise which affected your stay negatively. Rest assured, we have taken note and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for review. Thank you for staying and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again on your next future visit.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed September 1, 2013

I have never stayed here but I am a huge customer of IHG rewards. Everything else was booked and had to book this Suite. I can tell you this, by far the most elegant, roomiest Hotel I have ever stayed in. Well, not a hotel but an Suite. I loved it...The room was cold, lots of towels, a lounge area outside, BBQ area if you were staying a while, HUGE breakfast area, hot tub, very nice pool and a social time for guests which included free beer!!! WOW....

Thanks a lot IHG, I will be back...

Only problem I had was Mngmnt decided to NOT let us use the side doors for re-entry. We can go out but can not come back in. I was told to talk to the Manager for details...NOT GOOD.

No problem though...I will be back...The best!! I did take real pics, not those "doctored" ones...Take a look...

Room Tip: It was all great...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I managed to make our reservation from the middle of nowhere on a not-so-good cell phone call. The person at the Staybridge in Amarillo was very patient. The hotel must be very new - it was immaculate. Our bed was comfortable and the room (on the first floor - which always makes me nervous about overhead noise) was very quiet. Walking distance to several restaurants, which is nice after driving over 600 miles that day. Breakfast room and selection were great.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 1, 2013

On the way to our summer vacay, we stayed here on a Priceline Express Deal which knocked off about $20 from out total. On the way, we came in two groups on separate dates so only 2 to our room. We liked it enough to pay full price for the room and to risk squeezing in 4 of us.

Good stuff:
The breakfast is better than most according to my teen. My teen loved that they had a soda dispenser in the dining area. WiFi is good. Decor is ala Starbucks. The bed is pretty comfortable for this Tempurpedic adjusted girl. A bag of popcorn for the microwave is a nice touch. Staybridge has The Pantry which has some TV dinners, ice cream items, chips, cereal, and personal items. Full-sized fridge holds all of our cold goodies we travel with. Plenty of cable stations on the tube. The A/C is potent!

Bad stuff:
the elevator takes its time. only artificial sweetener stocked in room. another reviewer complained of noise, we bring a white noise maker which drowns it all out. Also, Ilaced a couch cushion in front of the door.

The first stay, we were in a handicapped King Suite which was enormous square footage wise. This time, we were put in a King Suite which had plenty of room, even with the couch bed pulled out.

Even though this hotel was not offered as an Express Deal, we chose to stay here due to our previous experience. The Hotel Clerk remembered me which was a nice touch since we were here close to 3 weeks ago.

Lastly and not so importantly to others, each room has a nice grouping of Pyrex bowls with tops- this is such a nice touch for travellers who have leftovers to microwave or other food to store. I guess after being so excited to see these last visit, I now know I am a Pyrex Geek. I even bought 2 Pyrex bowls at a thrift store in a size we currently don't own at home.

Enjoy to hotel. We'll probably stay again next year when we go to Colorado.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family