“Nice people, but noisy place”
Review of Amarillo KOA

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Amarillo
Amarillo KOA
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Let me start with the positives: nice people, clean restrooms, and well-maintained campground. The restrooms were really clean and the showers were great! But unfortunately, there were quite a few negatives with this KOA, especially the location! It's located right next to an airport, train tracks and some type of go-kart racing track. We stayed in a tent site and it took us a while to fall asleep because of all of the noise. Those go-karts can get really loud and annoying and they were going until almost midnight. Plus the occasional plane taking off or train going by. Also, during the day it was really hot (and the pool wasn't even working!). The tent sites have little to no shade. Then during the night it was really windy! I wish I could rate this place higher because of the nice people.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

Very nice and friendly check in and they arranged our pick up for Big Texan. Nice park for the kids and clean restrooms and showers. Only downside is sites very close to each other and on outskirts of town next to mobile home park.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Although we arrived late, the office staff was friendly and eager to assist us. We were personally escorted to our RV site, so there was no problem finding where we were to spend our last night of vacation. The kampground was immaculate with nice trees offering much-needed shade. The flowers and manicured areas were a welcomed sight in the Texas heat! We will definitely return! Thanks, KOA. You are the best!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Omah08
Reviewed August 12, 2012

I am sort of surprised to find myself giving this place a 5 star rating, but I can't think of anything negative to say about it. Spent a relaxing evening here after a long drive. Our request to change our Kamping Kabin assignment (our neighbors seemed nice enough but their cigarette smoking bothered us) was honored without any hassle. I can't say the same for the Circle Pines KOA we had stayed at 3 nights prior in Arizona. Also unlike that KOA, the Amarillo KOA store has a decent selection of food items. I only bought a loaf of bread, but the Circle Pines KOA didn't have even that. This KOA is a couple of miles from I-40, so it is a bit quieter. I would choose this KOA again over any of the local motels in a hearbeat.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank keltytrekker
Reviewed July 7, 2012

We recently stayed at this KOA on our way to and from the Grand Canyon and we were happily surprised with everything the campground had to offer. The bathrooms were clean and air conditioned, which in the heat of a Texas summer, is a wonderful respite - it was wonderful to come out of the shower refreshed as opposed to sweaty! The members of the staff were very friendly and allowed us to take our pick of the primitive campsites. Their pool was also very clean and refreshing in the triple digit heat. The only drawback I would say was that this KOA is located close to an airport and a railway, so you do hear train whistles blowing throughout the night. I wore earplugs and slept soundly, however if you're a light sleeper, the noise may keep you up. Overall I gave this KOA an excellent rating; we stayed at three different KOAs on our trip and this one was by far the best.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 5, 2012

The office staff is really helpful and nice. Salsa and chips were at the desk for sampling. They has 4 adult buffalo and a baby penned in an area in the campground for viewing. There was only a small strip of grass available for dogs to walk and part of it had prickly burrs that hurt our dogs paws. In fact, these weed were everywhere there was grass and our dogs kept yelping from stepping on these burrs and did not want to go out for a bathroom walk. Also, the laundry room is a rip off--$2 for the washer and 25 cents for 7-8 minutes dryer time. The KOA I am at today is $1 for the washer and 25 cents for 10 minutes dryer time. The campground is next to the International airport and trains. Since it was so hot, and our A/C ran all night we did not hear noise from the planes or trains but with windows open you could. Very little greenery here, very desert like. Many jackrabbits could be spotted.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 27, 2012

We were very pleased with this KOA. Plenty of staff, all extremely welcoming. Be sure to try the variety of salsas they have at the check-in.
Free limo to and from the Big Texan was very nice; didn't have to unhook. Big Texan is a good place for kids or adults, kind of cheesy but lots of fun. Excellent Margarita, nice selection of craft beers brewed there. You will NOT go away hungry.
Back to the KOA ... bathrooms were clean, fenced dog park was nice. Camp store was well stocked. Very easy to recommend this place.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family