“Great Breakfast, Great Price, Clean, Comfortable Room”

Super 8 Amarillo Central TX
Ranked #37 of 73 Hotels in Amarillo
Monroe, Louisiana
“Great Breakfast, Great Price, Clean, Comfortable Room”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2011

I made this reservation over the Internet and read the reviews. I decided on this one because the other Super 8's in Amarillo had some very negative reviews. I am glad to say that I was very pleased. There are some small negatives, but the positives out weighed them.

It is a little tricky to get to the motel because it is on the one-way access (or frontage) road, so you need to use a non-direct route after you see the motel. Once there it was easy to return because we could figure out the correct route to take.

The room was clean and large enough. There were tables and chairs. The wireless Internet worked well. The room was quiet except when the bathroom light was on, the bathroom fan was also on, and it was very noisy. There was a dirty wash cloth left high on the shower rod, where it was difficult to see and for a short person to reach. Otherwise, the bathroom had been well cleaned. The price was almost unbelievable for the quality of the room and motel.

The breakfast was great - hot scrambled eggs, hot biscuits, hot gravy, waffles, syrup, cereal, milk, juice, toast, etc. There was no fruit, the coffee was weak, and the toaster didn't work but the other items made up for it.

We will definitely return to this motel whenever we travel though or visit Amarillo again.

I usually get the manager's business card if one is available. The manager of this motel is Ricky Patel. I have noticed that the other Super 8 motels that I found to be exceptional were also managed by a member of the Patel family; e.g., Vic Patel in Blanding, Utah. I also remember other Super 8's with managers with the last name of Patel. I recall that they were satisfactory but not quite as nice as these managed by Ricky and Vic.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Kalaheo, Hawaii
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2011

After a vacation in Orlando, we were moving our son, his wife, and their baby from Tennessee to Washington. Our route was along I-40, so my DIL used Expedia's feature where they pick the hotel for a low price, and tell you what it is once you've paid. Worked well in Atlanta (Downtown Hilton for $69). Didn't work well for Amarillo. Yukky.

This Super 8 is barely okay. It is old, dank, smells weird, has dark halls, is not as clean as it could be, needs updating, and is next door to a really shady looking extended stay-type motel. It is on the eastern edge of Amarillo, easy to get to off the interstate, near a Walmart, but that's about all it has going for it. The bed was okay, the food was so-so, and I would not stay here again. Just a short distance down the interstate, there are many more options.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Amarillo hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

Rooms were a bit smelly but clean enough, good location with very friendly locals. You get what you pay for. Wifi is limited to 120 minutes per day.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Coolidge, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2011

It was hot and we were tired when we arrived. The lobby was clean and the desk attendant was pretty busy trying to field a phone call and to process our reservation. We got up to our room and to our surprise, the air conditioning was on to a comfortable temperature that we were able to adjust quickly to the temperature we wanted without roasting. The room was clean, the bed was older but provided a nice firm potential sleeping experience. The pillow was a little to plump for my taste but do-able. The hall was noisy and we had loud neighbors with small children, who were running in and out of their room, slamming the door until at least 3 am, last I checked. The best was yet to come. The lobby was transformed into a breakfast area and the coffee was flowing. There were waffles, eggs, sausage gravy, biscuits, sweet rolls, and juice. This was the best part of the stay. I could stay here again if I could be guaranteed a quiet room on the 3rd floor.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Azle
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2011

We got to the Super 8 after reserving a room online. The woman gave us a room at the back corner of the motel. Ten feet away was the Luxury Inn and there were drugs being sold out of the the 2nd floor of the Luxury Inn. When I asked for another room, I was told there was only a smoking room available. The desk clerk would not call the police. It was awful! We left and don't know if our money will be returned.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Columbia, South Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

Was not welcomed warmly on arrival. When we asked about security of our car roof bag, we were asked if we just wanted to take it down and inside our room. Then she said we could park out front under the light where someone in office would be in view throughout the night. The area looked questionable for security. Same desk clerk ignored us when we came through office after visiting the nearby walmart as she was talking on phone about someone's central air. Motel had Indian food odors throughout. Breakfast was what you'd expect of continental breakfast... except that waffle iron was broken. Scrambled eggs were a bonus.

Room Tip: There were lots of rooms at this site...some with interior doors and others with exterior doors.