New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Joe Taco
Ranked #21 of 495 Restaurants in Amarillo
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Kids, Large groups, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Very Good Mexican food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

We eat Mexican food a lot, and Joe Taco has one of my favorites - the El Diablo Burrito. It was removed from the menu, but they still serve it if you ask for it. Be prepared for heat...it varies up and down some, but I always want a backup glass of tea/water, just in case. The salsa and chips are always good. The restaurant is on the small side, but cozy, with good service. The patio area is nice on a lot of days, esp. when there is live music. Those in our family that drink love the margaritas, too.

Sutton, United Kingdom
“Don`t pass this one up...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2014

If you like your food a little Mexican, this is the place to go, if your in this area. A bit out of the way, but busy, so that should tell you all you need to know. I wish that I could return, but I`m now back in Europe. Sooooo Good, loved it.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Ambrose D
Porter ranch, ca
“Decently priced, pretty tasty”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

We went to Joe Taco because it was right next to our hotel. I had the barrio burrito. It was very good, although, it could have had more sauce on it. The warm chips and salsa were awesome. My girls also enjoyed their meals.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Maria G
Colleyville, Texas
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2014

This place is a bit off the beaten path but well worth finding. When I go to a restaurant and it is packed with locals I know I am onto something. They said they often have live music, but not the night we were there, which was fine since it was less crowded and we got to sit on the patio. We got the sampler platter of tacos and even though we split it we had 2 tacos left over. Service was great. This is not fine dining, but great atmosphere (upscale Greatful Dead/Biker theme) and lots of people watching. Iif you are looking for a place to eat in Amarillo, give this a try, you will not be disappointed. Note that parking is limited, you may need to park on the street.

1 Thank 2fastforU
“Bad service ...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2014

So, this is my 2nd time it has happened … this is the WORST place to visit during the rush hours … We ordered their David's Special and it was supposed to be chicken. We had told the server 2-3 times to make sure there is no other meat except for chicken (and it was for religious reasons). However, there were chunks of beef in the plate. I called the server and she did not bother to say a single world of apology. Instead she started giving the explanations that it is made on the same grill so may be thats why there are a few chunks. She told the manager (he wears sunglasses on the back of his head) who did not make an effort to come to our table and look into the matter.

The same manager actually ran into an argument with one of my colleagues just this last week, she was waiting for her order and twice the cook made the same mistake of adding beef instead of chicken. She kept waiting for good 45 minutes, only to be told by this manager that "either she can take the same order if she likes or else she can leave if she wishes". Really? Is this your hospitality? And your respect for other people's religious preferences? Pathetic experience now twice in a row!!!

P.S. This manager in discussion should make an effort to run the business affairs smoothly and try to alleviate the grievances of customers, rather than turning a deaf ear. We go to the restaurant during the evening hours too and never had complaints with the night time manager.

Bottom-line: If you really feel like eating at this place, avoid the day time (or preferably the busy lunch hours). Otherwise, you may have "Not so pleasant" experience.

• 2 of 5 bubbles