“Worth the Wait”

Cuisines: Barbecue
New York State
“Worth the Wait”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Late with reviews. There was a line when we arrived but it was lunchtime and the place has great reviews and was also recommended by a friend. Line moved quickly and since lots of folks were doing "to-go" we had no problem getting a table after putting our order in at the counter. Table needed to be wiped down but they were turning over quickly- nice people, no attitude when we asked to have table cleaned as our food was ready. We just did brisket sandwiches and shared a side order of potato salad, which was good but I rather slaw. Overall, glad we had lunch there and would go back to try some of the dinner offerings.

• Visited June 2012

Houston, TX
“Good food, good people”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Full disclosure, I was on a competitive barbecue team for ten years, so I may be a bit critical. I arrived in Amarillo after a flight from Houston. Hadn't had lunch. Looked for a good barbecue joint and I believe I found it. Tyler's is a small place, quaint, nondescript, but once I walked in I was greeted with friendly words from one of the staff. I ordered the two-meat plate, ribs and brisket, and asked for a suggestion for sides: green chili stew and potato salad. I had never had green chili stew. It was amazing. And the potato salad was great, a mustard-based dish. The barbecue was solid, but it was 3:00 PM, so they may have been in between lunch and dinner batches, so the meat was slightly dry, but still tasty....solid 'que. Most bbq joints that have solid meat really don't spend much time on they're sides, but I have to say that the green chili stew and the potato salad were outstanding, which meant to me that the folks at Tyler's go the extra mile to give their customers a good meal, not just good meat. In addition, a gentlemen whom I believe was the owner or manager, came out to my table to check on my meal. We had a short discussion about the wood he uses (mesquite) and his four smokers out back. In a small patch of real estate off of I-40 that is overrun with chains, I highly recommend you try Tyler's for some friendly service and great food with a personal touch.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank sfurtwengler
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not what all the hype is to be”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Traveling from FL headed to CO. My husband wanted me to find a restaurant in Amarillo so we can stretch our legs. I found so many outstanding and excellent reviews about this place. So we went. The help was kind but the food was just disappointing. I ordered Brisket and you have a choice of chopped or slice. I chose chopped and was surprise it was chopped to bitty pieces. I thought it would be in chunks like I get I Kansas City when I visit. The meat was luke-warm and no flavor. there are bottles off bbq sauce on the tables to put on your meat. the potato salad was ok and we didnt like the beans. My husband had the Brisket too and the ribs. The ribs looked exactly like that.! There was no meat on them. The atmosphere was nice though. Music was playing and families there were chatting and was quiet.

1 Thank Dprudence4
golden, CO
“The best in Texas! Ribs and brisket to die for!”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Saw the review on TA so we stopped in right before closing when travrling through Amarillo. Some times they sell out but we lucked out. Staff were so friendly and helpful. Tyler the owner talked with a lot! One of us got the ribs and the other the brisket- both A+. The sides were great especilly the potatoe sald and the peach cobbler tasted like a little old church lady made it and brought it to the pot luck dinner- yummy. A must when travelling through Amarillo- right off I-40.

Visited March 2013
Piney Point, Maryland
“Excellent and quick!”
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

We are traveling cross county from MD to WA and took the long way around the United States. Saw reviews on Tripadvisor that this place was #1 in Armarillo. There isn't a whole lot in Armarillo but this is a gem if a BBQ place even if it were in the busiest of towns! Great Texas ribs that are very tender and the pork BBQ was some of the best I've ever had! My husband and I really enjoyed the BBQ sauce as well! Coleslaw was great but we weren't big fans of the beans. We are traveling with our dogs so we were able to sit outside with them as it was a beautiful day! The owner came over and talked to us and we had such a great experience for a quick stop off I-40! Very convenient and a great meal!