“Overpriced and false advertising”

Holiday Inn Amarillo West Medical Center
Ranked #19 of 72 Hotels in Amarillo
Dallas, Texas
“Overpriced and false advertising”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I made online reservations and was shocked to find out I was overcharged. While I was checking in at the front desk, another family was checking and got the same room $50 cheaper than I paid. I reserved a suite and was told they don't exist at the hotel. I specifically reserved a room with a sitting area and pull out sofa. I didn't get what was advertised. The room was small. I wouldn't stay there if you have more than one child. You will be cramped. I was so disappointed and had been looking forward to a nice stay after reading so many positive reviews. Don't make reservations online. You will be overcharged. The people who walk in get a better price. The next morning when I was checking out I was complaining about being overcharged and another customer stepped forward and said the same thing I did. She too was overcharged and reserved a suite like I did and did not get what she had paid for. Don't stay here.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else for the money.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Amarillo West Medical Center, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear Gipsycowgirl,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Amarillo West Medical Center, TX. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Our stay was better than expected. The kids loved the pool. They spent about 2 hours in the evening and the next morning another 2 hours. The restaurant was EXCELLENT. Kids eat free. Hotel was very clean and a very friendly staff. Will stay here again, next time we visit. Was in town to take the kids to the zoo and adventureland amusement park. Should be ranked #1 in Amarillo in my book. We also got a late checkout so kids could spend more time in the pool. They all went down and had the free breakfast which worked out very good. Thanks and KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank K9SONTHELOOSE
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We visited this hotel in early August as part of our Route 66 trip across America. We stayed in 8 hotels and all agreed that this was by far the worst. We were very disappointed.

On arrival, we entered the foyer and saw a nice water feature and a front desk. The lady on the front desk was ok but we forgot to ask directions to the Big Texan Steak Ranch. I turned to a lady walking around in the foyer area and asked if she worked there. "No, I just wear this shirt for fun", she replied. Lovely. I would say that we don't speak to people like that in England but fortunately we had the experience of staying in 7 other hotels on this trip and every member of staff we met was polite, courteous and friendly.

As far as our room was concerned, we had a lovely view of the bins from our window. The beds were tiny, as was the room, but the pillow choice was a nice touch, as was the folding of the hand towel in the bathroom in the shape of a shirt and tie - very clever!

Breakfast was ok but sadly soya milk is "not something they offer". Don't have allergies if you ant to stay here then!

All in all, a disappointing stay, especially when compared to the great hotels we stayed in and awesome people we met across the US. We would NOT stay here again.

Room Tip: Do not get a room facing the bins. The alternative will not be scenic anyway though.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
cody b, Manager at Holiday Inn Amarillo West Medical Center, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
dan_saviola,

I want to start by just saying I am so sorry for what was said to you. I can't imagine who on staff would dare say anything like that to you. As you can see we have many reviews that raved about how great our staff is, this of course is unexceptable and I really want to do what ever I can to make what happen up to you and make sure this type of thing never happens to you or any other guest ever again. I have tried to investigate more on the situation and haven't been able to gather anything, with your help I would like to idenify who this person was, so proper steps are taken. I am not able to contact you per tripadvisor , but if you could contact me at cblair@ramhotels.net I would love to get more details from you and fix what happen. Thank you for bringing this to our attention and I hope to hear back from you soon.

Sherman
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Participated in a conference at this hotel and it was a wonderful facility. The check in process was great as was check out. Rooms were lovely and easy to maintain a comfortable temperature. The lobby is a wonderful place to enter and feel like you are in for a welcome experience. The breakfast was excellent each morning. The conference rooms were a little cold, but it was also cooler than normal in Amarillo.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Photojoyce
Amarillo, Texas
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Walk into the lobby and a wonderful experience is about to take place. The open space is really appealing.. The staff is friendly as soon as you enter door. The bar is where I like to spend my time. This choice is mostly because of Kristi. She has a personality that is friendly and professional. A pet peeve of mine is good service,not only for me ,but for others no matter where I am. I just notice things. As far as I can tell, Kristi excels in providing good service and making sure the business is going smoothly no matter what problems arise.
Flame Bistro is a very good place to get a good dinner and the service is great , and the menu is diverse, which is a good thing. I would recommend people to give you a try..

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank urkal
cody b, Manager at Holiday Inn Amarillo West Medical Center, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
urkal,

WOW.. Thank you so much for the great review!! We strive to have the bar be a fun place to hang out and feel Kristi does help us do so. Thank you for the feedback and will be sharing your kind words w/her. I hope we see you again soon.

Louisiana
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Spent six days at this location while visiting family in Amarillo. The Hotel was clean, excellently staffed and more than comfortable. From the time we entered, we were treated like special guest. Our room was ready and we were settled in, in short order. The free breakfast was super and the free gift of a snack and drink was a thoughtful addition. The pool area was clean and we enjoyed the hot tub after a long day. The only down side was that the entrance was a little difficult to find. There is some construction next door, but other than that the hotel site is great with plenty of parking in what appears to be a safe and secure area.
There are plenty of places close to eat at and the movie theater next door is a pleasant plus. Its close proximity to I-40 makes it easy for travelers to get to.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the elevators have less noise and are closer to stairs in case of an emergency. Take...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Geatley
Geatley,

Thank tyou so much for the review! I am sorry for the construction issue, but glad we were able to take such good care of you. Thank you again and hope to see you very soon!

Denton, Texas
Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

First impression waa wow! lobby was beautiful with modeen decor and water walls! Gorgeous new "green" hotel. Beautifully decorated, LED lighting everywhere, earth friendly materials. Rooms very made for comfort: our room had a micro kitchen with counter, fridge, sink; shower had shelves to set things on; beds were like sleeping on a cloud. TV in the bathroom, refreshments available around the clock in the lobby, complimentary water and cookies on arrival. This hotel wanted us to be comfortable! And we were!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank crazypilotgirl
cody b, Manager at Holiday Inn Amarillo West Medical Center, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
WOW! What a great review! You are right, your comfort and making you feel at home is what we strive for.. That really makes us feel warm inside when we read feedback like this. Thank you for taking the time to write such great words and giving our hotel a chance! I hope we are able to see you a gain very soon!