“Clean, great staff, great breakfast”

Holiday Inn Amarillo West Medical Center
Ranked #22 of 72 Hotels in Amarillo
Reviewed July 12, 2012

As late night travelers, we needed a place that was clean and comfortable after a loooong day of driving and another one to follow. We were thankful to find a place that offered all the amenities we needed, and were pleasantly surprised at the friendly and helpful staff and the EXCELLENT breakfast made it well-worth a few extra dollars to stay there. Plus, the beds were heavenly and as comfortable as it gets! Highly recommended!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Scott A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Amarillo West Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2012

JannetteN - Thank you so much for the awesome review!! I am glad that you enjoyed our beds and our breakfast in the morning. We work hard to ensure your stay is most enjoyable. We look forward to seeing you again when in Amarillo.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

This hotel,has been recently renovated, and they have done a nice job. Very seldom can you find a hotel that has a restaurant inside any more, but they have a nice one. They even offer a FREE breakfast for travelers, even of they aren't staying at this hotel!! Amazing! It is nice to be able to leave our dogs in the room and go eat in a real restaurant, rather than get takeout and bring it back to eat in the room. Since we knew we'd get there in the evening, this was one of the main reasons we chose this hotel, having stayed there a few years ago. Highly recommend this hotel if you are staying in Amarillo. They do take pets, which is a requirement for us when we travel, and they don't charge big bucks for them, either, like some hotels do! We don't mind paying a small fee, but not a big charge. The staff was quite friendly, helpful, and they gave us a goody package upon arrival, which contained 2 bottled waters, and snacks. Very nice, surprising. The inside has been made into a very large atrium with all kinds of games for families to play with their children.

Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family

Lindybugs - Thank you for the great review, but I believe this is for the Holiday Inn East. Our hotel does not allow pets and only hotel guests will receive the included breakfast. I am glad you had an excellent stay with them and we are working with Tripadvisor to get the review moved over to their hotel site.

Reviewed July 11, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights while my son was doing orientation at WT. Very nice hotel!! Clean and conveniently located to dining options!! Changed to a downtown hotel for the last 2 nights and really wanted to change back!!

Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

INeedVacationTime - Thank you so much for the great review. Amarillo is excited to have your son go to West Texas A&M. It is a fabulous school!! I am sad that you went downtown...we would have loved to keep you here at our hotel. We hope to see you again on your return visits. Go Buffs!!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

After looking around on Trip advisor, I decided to go with this Holiday Inn because of the breakfast buffet, and the rating. Aside from one little snag and one major issue, I would stay here again. We live in Midland, TX and visited Amarillo for my oldest child's school function (Southwest Music Festival)

I stayed with my husband, and 3 children...ages 12,7,& 1 yr old. After attending my child's school performance, my husband and I were tired and since we are not familiar with Amarillo decided to look for the hotel, and hoped that we could check in early. it was around noon when we arrived at the hotel, and the two lovely girls at the front desk were very friendly, and super helpful. They checked to see if our room was ready and immediately allowed us to check in. Our room was on the second floor, somewhere above the meeting rooms.

The room was very nice... the mini fridge, micro and coffee maker were a plus...even though we didn't actually have a need for them it was really nice to know they were available just incase! The room had two Queen beds, and just enough space in between for our baby's playpen in between... the room temp was cool, and the T-stat was easy to locate and adjust. The bathroom is just beautiful! I fell in love with the lighted mirror! haha! sorry but it's really nice....on the other hand a minus, My son brought along our 12 yr old's kindle fire, and being that they are only connected to the internet via wi-fi, he wasn't able to really do a whole lot other than play on the usual "boring" games... I also would have liked it better if I could have done some web surfing on it, instead of using my little android screen. If free Wi-fi is available, I wish they could have explained this better.

After we dropped our things off in our room we went to lunch at the nearby Golden Corral... so glad it was so close, as I mentioned above we are not familiar with Amarillo, and while we had he GPS on my phone,. it was nice to be able to drive a few minutes down Amarillo Blvd. and have a nice big lunch. After lunch we took the baby and our 7 yr old to the room for a short nap,upon our arrival this time,*plus*we saw a gentlman knocking on our room door carrying a little gift bag, it was a little welcome and Happy Cinco De Mayo gift... little snacks and a bottle of water!!! so SWEET!!! The halls were a little noisey, but to be expected since it was around 3 or 4 (regular check in time) after a while we decided to meet our daughter's school at Wonderland Amusement park until closing, and afterwards dinner.

Upon arriving at the Hotel to finally get the rest we all so desired... we saw that there was a party going on in one of the meeting rooms... pictures were being taken, happy people and LOUD booming music.... We thought nothing of it....until we got to our room that is...... * MINUS* it was as if the speakers were in our room... the booming of the base made everything shake(remember I told you or room was somewhere above a meeting room?) it was barely 9 or 9:30..maybe 10 p.m. so we knew we would be in for a Longg night... (little did I know..tho..this was nothing) I called the front desk and explained the situation, I was informed that there was a wedding going on downstairs and the very apologetic gentleman said they'd asked the party to turn it down, but seemed they kept turning it up, and that the party was on til about 1 or 2 that night.***PLUS*** I let him know we had a little one and the whole sentance wasn't even out of my mouth when he said " Oh no, we would never expect you to! I can move you to the 3rd floor if you'd like, or if you prefer the second floor I can move you further down." Really??? That easy? I was so impressed! I asked for a room on the 3rd floor as far away from the meeting room end as possible... *Plus* They sent someone up to help us with the move and even brought up some snacks and sodas!!! After we got settled back in, everyone showered and got ready for bed, watched TV for a little bit we finally went to sleep.

**MINUS** Everyone slept well, except for me...Paper thin walls or Just really rude people???... It was about 4 in the morning and I was disgusted by the sounds coming from the room next door! Someone was really going at it, and was having a Great time ... For an entire non-stop hour! I thought it was probably the newly weds, but who knows! While the woman kept moaning and the bed kept banging on and on, My stomach churned and I prayed to GOD that my children did not wake up and hear what was going on... After the couple was satisified with themselves, and the lady told the man she loved him... It echoed as if they were in their Bathroom... they quieted down,... but I could not go to sleep... I had set my alarm to 7 A.m. so that I could get up and get ready and get everyone ready for breakfast, but it was now 5 or 5:30 a.m. and I had only had about 4 or 4 1/2 hours sleep... I got about 30 min more sleep and was up and getting ready for the day.

I did not compain to management because A) What could the do to control these wild animals, and B) they had alread accommodated us earlier C) i didn't want to wake my kids...

Breakfast was great and we saw who our neighbors were... LOL..... still not sure which of the two it was but either one is funny to imagine... we stayed til check out time and went about our merry way... After such a long night, I couldn't wait to get home to some Real peace and quiet....

I would stay here again, but maybe if they could offer us a corner room with only one neighbor! or as far away from any people at all!!! haha!

Oh! we did try the pool or the fitness area, but did go down to look at them... kids wished the could have used it, but,....the morning "after" was too chilly, and I was too tired...and I kept thinking about the poop in the pool that I had read on a review before booking the hotel...lol...

Sorry for the lengthy review, but I write like I speak,.... A Lot! Hope it helps!

Thanks,

Room Tip: Ask for rooms as far away from meeting hall as possible.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank April H
Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here one night in two rooms. Rooms were a tad on the small side but very clean, beds were very comfortable. We were however right above the lobby and the noise was annoying in the middle of the night when a large party came in from some function. The noise just carried straight into our rooms. Not sure why they would design a hotel with rooms so close to the lobby especially when there is a bar and mingling area right below. However, that was a minor annoyance in an overall enjoyable one night stay.

The breakfast was very good. The coffee real and the service was efficient.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank jennyi
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

Jennyi - Thank you for the awesome review. I apologize about the noise that you encountered in the lobby during your stay. I am really glad overall it was a great stay for you and your family. We definitely have rooms down each hallway that are away from the elevators and lobby areas and we can easily reassign rooms. Please let me know the next time you are in town and I will personally make sure you are in the quietest location of the hotel. Thank you for staying with us!!

Reviewed July 8, 2012

Staff friendly...clean and modern, beds comfy, a/c COLD!!! Breakfast good. You can walk across parking lot to UA Cinemas....nice! First time in a Holiday Inn in a long time...VERY impressed! A little tricky to find but not if you watch for the signs...

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ROADHOTMAMA
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

RoadHotMama - Thank you for the fantastic review!! We really appreciate having you as our guest. I agree totally with you!! The UA theater across the parking lot is convenient and the overall restaurants located around the hotel are all close. I am so glad that you stayed with our hotel and we hope to see you again very soon!! (PS - I like your user name!!)

Reviewed July 4, 2012

This was the hotel we were really looking forward to staying in and it did not let us down. Everything about the hotel was top notch.The rooms were good size, the beds were very comfortable and they even had firm and soft pillows to choose from. The pool had a fun slide my kids played on. The only issue we had is the hot tub was not that hot. We could not believe the breakfast, it was like no other hotel we stayed at. The food was hot and Rudy was a great waiter. It had been a long time since we have stayed in a Holiday Inn but after this stay that will change.

1  Thank Mark V
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

Mark V - I am really happy that you decided to stay with our hotel!! Rudy is an excellent waiter and we hope to see him on the next season of "The Voice". He is quite the singer. I am glad that you have Holiday Inn (as a brand) another chance. They are definitely making all the right moves to increase the product image across the globe. I look forward to seeing you on your next stay. Thank you again!!