“Worst stay at this hotel”

Courtyard by Marriott Amarillo Downtown
Ranked #7 of 72 Hotels in Amarillo
Reviewed April 5, 2014

I've stayed at this location 10 nights in the last 12 months. This weekend was the worst. We were next to a room that first had a party...then went bad! Couple fighting, crying and cussing (I know all about his Mother!) until the security should up at 3:00am. When I talked to the front desk at 9:00am (with very little sleep) I found out the couple was staying two more nights, but they would move them or me.

I was out of my room from 9:30 until 3:00pm. The room was never cleaned. At 4:30, someone brought towels and shampoo (based on another call to the front desk) but never offered to clean the room.

I am a Marriott rewards member, but this may be the last for me. I can understand unruly guests, but the lack of professionalism of the staff is something I won't ignore.

Room Tip: Down the street...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Suzie721
CherylGH, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Amarillo Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2014

Thank you for letting us know about your experience for your most recent trip. We apologize you stay was unsatisfactory. When our front desk staff was advised the following morning, we offered the option of changing rooms and our offer was declined. While we understand that changing rooms can be an inconvenience that was the best solution we had. Please let our staff know immediately of any noise complaints or other issues and we will address them immediately allowing you and all guests an enjoyable experience.

Regards

Reviewed March 9, 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights on business. The Hotel and room were very clean and spacious. The Bistro was very convenient with great coffee and lots of healthy menu items. My room had plenty of work space with free internet. The bed was very comfortable. The gym has just 2 ellipticals and 2 treadmills for equipment, but that never seemed to be a problem as no more than 3 people were in there at one time. They also had free weights which was nice. My only issue with the room was with the heater that was loud as it came on so it kept waking me up in the middle of the night. This could have been a problem with just my room, so I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I had a corner room - that may be why it was more spacious.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Maura G
Donna P, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Amarillo Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

Thank you for sharing your comments and sharing your experience. In addition to our 24 hour gym on property, all our guests have complimentary access to the Downtown Athletic Club, only 4 blocks away. I hope you will take advantage of this addition amenity on your next stay. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

Great hotel! Updated and very nice. I played 10 bucks extra so MD and my wife could have a corner room. Totally worth it. The only downside is no continental breakfast, but, they do have a great bistro were you can pay to get breakfast and Starbucks coffee. Staff have been very nice. The downtown area isn't quite as good as I had hoped but the hotel itself is awesome! 4 stars. Marked down for breakfast and downtown feel. Great place to stay to visit Palo duro canyon.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Brent B

Thank you so much for staying with us, we are thrilled you enjoyed your stay. We strive to make your stay enjoyable and value you comments and opinion. Palo Duro Canyon is a beautiful place, only a 25-30 minute drive from downtown. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed January 30, 2014

I stayed here in december with 2 friends and my boyfriend because we were visiting the Palo Duro Canyons.

The property is beautiful, clean and very well maintined. It looks brand new and is in a very convenient location in the middle of dozens of bar and dining options. The surrounding area is small and quiet with lots of great dining options.

The front desk staff was friendly but their attire did not cordinate at all and was very sloppy looking and unkempt; strange for a marriott. The check in process was a little slow but it was no big deal, as I was in no real rush.

The room was clean and fresh, very spacious with a standard street view.

I called down to the front desk for an extra blanket and instead of saying ok or something like that, the woman asked me why and if I had check the closet for an extra blakent.I told her that I had, but that we were using that blanket for the sofa bed in the room. she then said ok and had the extra blanket delivered to us.

Later that evening, when i was walking back in to the hotel from dinner, I stopped by the front desk to ask for an extra pillow for the sofa bed. The lady at the desk asked me if I had checked the closet for one and I told her there was only one in there but we needed two for the sofa bed. She asked me if I could wait about 15 minutes for it to be delivered and I told her that was fine. Again, this was surprising to me because in the past, when I stay at a hotel, my request for an extra blanket or pillow has never been questioned.

The next morning when I went to the front desk, one of the emplyees from front desk was wearing fleece pajama pants and a sweat shirt. I mean, I knowit was snowing and all but really?? Thats so unprofessional. I was shocked.

Overall though, my stay was comfortable and nothing really went wrong with the room. Loved the free parking and internet. Very satisfatory stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Hallie G
Donna P, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Amarillo Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

Thank you for staying with us again and we are pleased you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

Stayed here overnight on a Sunday to visit Palo Duro Canyon 30 minutes to the South.

Hotel is in very good condition. Rooms are spacious and well appointed. Bed was firm, but that is how my wife likes it, so I guess that works out well. Didnt have any meals here, but there is a restaraunt and coffee bar. The parking situation that many people mentioned was not really a big problem if you just park on the curb and offload your bags before parking.

Would stay here again if we are in town.

Room Tip: If you can get a military rate it is a great deal.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank jayll135
Donna P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Amarillo Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Thank you for staying with us while you were in Amarillo. We appreciate your business and hope you stay with us again when traveling. In addition to our in house Bistro, we have several local restaurants within walking distance. As mentioned we do offer curb parking while as well as Guest 10 Minute parking inside the parking gararge. We are the only hotel with covered parking in Amarillo and of course it is complimentary to all our guests.

Thank you again and we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed January 18, 2014

My husband & I stayed here recently while traveling cross-country. The room was larger than I expected, the bed was very comfortable (always important!) But I really want to mention the front desk staff. Always friendly, ready to chat and give suggestions of places to see. But most importantly for us, was the great follow-through of Ms Kayleigh. Because we're long-term travelers, we have mail forwarded to us. We were expecting mail at the hotel, but it was delayed due to the extreme bad weather on the East coast. Kayleigh took our information, promised to check up. I called several times, finally 3 days after we had checked out, I spoke with Kayleigh, she said she would check and call back. She did call back, our mail had arrived, and had already been sent on to our next address, where it arrived the next day. Thank you Kayleigh, we really appreciate you!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lovefoodSanJose_CA

We appreciate your kind words and are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. It was our pleasure to have you as a guest.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

We were traveling from Houston to Denver on December 21st. South of Amarillo we hit extremely icey roads. We drove on to Amarillo and started north on highway 287 to Dumas where we had an overnight hotel reservation. Unfortunately we hit a road closure and was forced back to Amarillo. I told my wife there is no way we will find a hotel this late at 10:30 as everthing looked crowded when we first passed through. We walked into the downtown Courtyard. As I stood in line I could hear them telling anyone calling in that they were filled up. However, when it came my turn, they said they would do everything they could to get me a room. After about 10 minutes they assigned me a room. I couln't thank the management enough for finding my family a room, and at a very good rate.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank gary l
Donna P, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Amarillo Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. That night the weather was so bad and we always do our best to make sure our guests and potential guests are safe. We are pleased that we had the opportunity to provide you with accomodations. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon.