“Big room, good sleep, center of town”

Courtyard Amarillo Downtown
Ranked #6 of 73 Hotels in Amarillo
Houston, Texas
“Big room, good sleep, center of town”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Based on Trip Advisor reviews we tried this hotel. Just as reported - big room! We requested an upper floor, stayed on the top (10th) floor. Room decor very nice, beds just right, A/C unit is the better grade (not a window unit) quiet and comfy, front desk help top notch, free parking, fast elevators. The building is a re-modeled 1927 bank building, some professionally done lobby displays explain how the transformation was accomplished. You can eat in their bistro, we opted to eat at a cafe about two blocks away.

It was nice to see and stay in this well executed makeover. We'd stay here again.

Room Tip: The top floor was quiet with a nice view across the prarie.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank John_crudeoil
Donna P, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Amarillo Downtown, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and enjoying our Downtown area. With 10 floors and large windows we have beautiful views of the City along with the sunsets. Our local resturants are always a great option. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope you will visit again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Woodbury, Minnesota
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I stayed here one night on a business trip. Amarillo isn't that big of a city but this was centrally located and the parking was free. I would stay again if in town. The staff was friendly and I was actually able to check in several hours before the check in time! Great Courtyard ammenities.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Nancy S
Donna P, General Manager at Courtyard Amarillo Downtown, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
We appreciate and value your comments about The Courtyard Amarillo Downtown. Thank you for letting us know and for sharing your experience. Our parking garage is complimentary to all our guests as an added convenience. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit.
Birmingham
Reviewed July 16, 2013

This is a great hotel in downtown Amarillo - it seemed quite new and the rooms were large with a sofa and living area and huge TV! Receptionist was really helpful explaining what's around and making recommendations . There's not loads in the down town vicinity but there's a handful of places to eat and drink within a few minutes walk including tex mex, sushi, burgers and Chinese. We we only stopped one night on our way driving Route 66 but it was. Very pleasant stay that I would recommend to others.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lightyearz_B
Thank you for staying with us and enjoying Downtown Amarillo and our local restaurants. Our hotel opened in December 2010 and we are the first new hotel in the downtown area in 50 years. We look forward to seeing you again.
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

I stayed for a couple of nights as I fancied a change from Drurys where I normally stay In Amarillo. Lots of positives, $40 less than Drurys per night, covered parking on site, massive room with excellent broadband and a cracking Mexican restaurant across the street....my new regular hotel in Amarillo

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Andrew S
Donna P, General Manager at Courtyard Amarillo Downtown, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience. We are glad you enjoyed your stay, our staff strives to provide an inviting and welcoming atmosphere. We look forward to seeing you again.
Greenwood Village, Colorado
Reviewed July 9, 2013

This is probably the best place in Amarillo. It is clean and very well maintained. We were there on a Saturday night late. They did need more help at check in when we arrived. One person was not enough as the hotel was full. There is a two block area of bars for young people across from the hotel. No restaurants open in the area, nor on Sunday morning. Seems like most everything is closed on Sunday as it is downtown. We saw several brides at the hotel. So this is the place to be. They observe Marriott standards, and you will not be disappointed. There is no pool.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank auroracham
Donna P, General Manager at Courtyard Amarillo Downtown, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and enjoying our Downtown location. We appreciate your comments and look forward to seeing you again soon.
Guymon, Oklahoma
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Over priced hotel for what you get. The lady checking me in was rude and could care less if I stayed or not. I asked for a king room and she told me she had one - when I told her I would take it she said it was not available and said if I wanted to stay I would have to take a king suite and If I didn't like it I could go elsewhere!! I should have left then! When I received my statement I noticed a charge for using my mastercard. I will not stay there again when so many other nice motels are availble in Amarillo!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jollytraveler2016
Donna P, General Manager at Courtyard Amarillo Downtown, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments and opinion concerning your stay. Our room type availability changes frequently due to the ability to make reservations online or by telephone. I apologize you were unable to secure a traditional king room, our availability was limited to our suites on this particular night. Thank you for staying with us. We appreciate your business.
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed June 28, 2013

My husband and I visit Amarillo and we had the good fortune to stay here. I think what the Marriott has done to refurbish this building is extraordinary. The building was built at the start of the Great Depression and it is steel and concrete. Architecturally, it is a gem, but so are some of the other buildings I observed while walking around town.
The staff is courteous and always nice. I loved the bistro staff every morning; they made me smile. There is a small menu, but it is adequate and filling.
Our room was an ADA room and very large and quiet. We liked it and the bed sent you right off to sleep at the end of the day. The art on the walls very interesting, it was mostly black and white, and who knew that a photo of rocks would be intriguing? There is also art in the bathroom.
BUT:
There needs to be a light in the parking garage in the early morning. At 6 when my husband left for work, it was dark and the lights were off. It could have been a daylight savings thing, but if it is on a timer - the timer is off. Also, I would suggest that you have to use your keycard to get up in the elevators. Other hotels we stay in require it and I saw the card reader in the elevators. It would make you feel more secure.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank SantaFeDiva
Donna P, General Manager at Courtyard Amarillo Downtown, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for staying with us at The Courtyard Marriott Amarillo Downtown. We appreciate your business and your valuable time in completing a review. We value your comments and opinions, they are very important to us. Thank you for your comment on the lights in the parking garage, we will make sure they are properly set. We always welcome suggestions to make your stay more enjoyable.

We look forward to having you back,
Your friends at The Courtyard Amarillo Downtown