“Amarillo's Best Hotel Option”

Courtyard by Marriott Amarillo Downtown
Ranked #7 of 72 Hotels in Amarillo
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Having stayed in the several of Amarillo’s hotels, I can say the Downtown Amarillo Courtyard Marriott is bar far the best hotel option in the city. This is a converted historic bank that has more personality than an average hotel. The employees are exceptionally helpful and were pleasant to work with. Although the amenities are nice, I would like to see more services for guests with Marriott status.

Across the street from the hotel, some of Amarillo’s better restaurants are available. This is a nice feature since most of the hotels in the city are located on the interstate frontage road, require driving to get to restaurants, and options that are close are chain restaurants.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Chris V

Reviewed May 16, 2013

My son and I stayed at this Courtyard in May 2013 as we were traveling route 66 from Chicago to Santa Monica.

We didn't know what to expect because the building was a re-purposed office building. Sometimes, building conversions don't work out as planned. This one definitely did. Rooms were very spacious - I don't think I've ever seen so much empty floor in a hotel room. Plenty of space between and around beds made walking very easy. Bathroom was enormous.

The staff was also excellent.

The only downside was that the location isn't that great. I was hoping that a downtown hotel would be surrounded by things to do. I don't know if I was expecting too much from Amarillo, or if maybe I didn't look hard enough.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank keatingclan
Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

I think the rooms are good, the staff works to please but I have a bad taste in my mouth due to the abysmal parking situation. Perhaps it is okay if one drives a mid size to subcompact vehicle but a quad cab truck is nigh unto impossible. In April, Amarillo features subfreezing temperatures and the parking lot was a total skating rink.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Krwman
Reviewed April 8, 2013

While the outside of the building looks almost historic (as well as some of the exhibits inside), they have done a very nice job of upgrading the interior and ammenities to make if feel modern and comfortable. There were several restaurants around the hotel, and it was easy to get around town from the central location.

Room Tip: We were put in a lower room that overlooked the garage and had lights shining in the windows all nig...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank AirTravels
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I bid on Priceline for a room in the downtown area and actually got this amazing Marriott property for 50 plus tax!! It was Easter Sunday and the downtown was literally empty;
however the property is just a very short way from I-40 so convenient. This hotel is in the Fisk Building (c. 1927) and is really gorgeous inside. Beautiful lobby!

The gal at the front desk (Felicia) was very helpful and since it was difficult to check me in because of the priceline connection she upgraded me to a higher floor (I had Room 908) which was gorgeous and a view of the Santa Fe Building (lit up at night!)
and also the Paramount Theater (amazing marquee lit up all night too though its now an office building).

I walked around a bit in the morning and could see signs of a downtown renovation:
a sushi bar, a nice Mexican restaurant, etc. some banks. I got coffee at Marriott's
coffee bar off the lobby and the 2 guys there were very helpful and nice.

I would definitely love to stay here again - esp at the price. I have lost my Marriott Friends and Family connection and would love to find an employee who would offer me his 'connection' for future stays at this - and other - Marriott properties!

Of course, a great night's sleep, Marriott beds are simply the best and beautiful
linens. A nice sofa was in my room and of course a big flat screen tv.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank jansjourneys
Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this Courtyard on a one-night business trip to Amarillo. I checked in at 8:30PM after a long day visiting accounts in the TX Panhandle. Parking was a little cramped on the first two floors of the on-site parking garage, but it was free. The front desk was very friendly and efficient that night, and I was in my room within minutes.

There are a few decent places to eat directly across the street from the hotel, and a few more within walking distance. I had a couple of beers at Crush, a wine and sandwich shop next door, and then went around the corner to Napoli's, an Italian place, for a take-out dinner.

The next morning's checkout was smooth, and I was on I-40 South to Lubbock very quickly. Amarillo is a decent-sized town, but pretty quiet, and this hotel is a solid place to stay when in town on business.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank scottygator94
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Stayed here for 10+ nights while in Amarillo for business. Upon arrival, the clerk didn't want to honor the rate I had been given at the time of booking but after discussion did agree to the quoted rate. The hotel is located "downtown" but was not what I expected. There is nothing else downtown except for a few sketchy looking restaurant/bars. You have to drive about 5 miles to town for dining options.

The hotel has garage parking, but it is free so no problems there. The lobby is large and clean-a nice place to sit and drink your coffee, read the paper, etc. Most of the staff was friendly, but there were a few that were not so pleasant. The room was very nice. It was very clean, spacious, and well furnished-sofa, desk, large tv, closet, coffee maker, and refrigerator. Did not have a microwave which would have been nice. I had an 8th floor corner room, so nice view of the area. Only problem was that the surrounding area was not very pleasant to the eye-mostly old, dilapidated, graffitied buildings.

There is a bistro located in the lobby. It has a limited menu that appeared over priced. I didn't try it, but if you don't want to drive across town it is one of your few dining options. There is also a small but nice fitness center on site-free weights, treadmills, and ellipticals. The hotel also gives you access to an athletic club down the street.

The hotel itself was very nice and I was pleased with my stay. It was the area that left much to be desired.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business