“What a nice surprise!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #38 of 73 Hotels in Amarillo
Garner
“What a nice surprise!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2010

Since we are budget-minded travelers, we tend to use motel chains that offer the basics at a budget rate. Consequently, we have had a fair number of lodging experiences that were nothing to write home about. However, during our recent road trip to the Southwest, we had the good fortune to stumble upon this Super 8. From the moment of check-in, it stood head and shoulders above all others on this trip and others in our recent journeys. The staff was very congenial, thus making our stay more enjoyable. The room was spacious, and in fact I learned at checkout that all rooms are suite-sized since it used to be a Comfort Inn and Suites. Breakfast was ready and waiting at the assigned time, and it offered more than some of the others. Bottom line, for the money I can't imagine that any other motel could give as much for so little.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JanT60

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Spring
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2010

My husband and I were traveling to Houston and found this hotel on Google Places. First, when I called they answered the phone Comfort Inns and Suites. However, this is ACTUALLY a Super 8 Motel and apparently after reading reviews this is not the first time this has happened. My only positive comment about this hotel is the woman at the front desk was very nice.
When we arrived (around midnight), I walked inside and asked if I was in the right place. She told me that they are now a Super 8 hotel and that it USED to be a Comfort Inns and Suites. She then told me it's the same standards as a Comfort Inn, but just a different name.
After unloading my luggage and getting to the door, the keycard slot on the outside door didn't work properly and the door was very hard to open. Our room itself was HORRIBLE!! It had the smell of old mildew and cheap cigarettes.
The room decor is from the 80's at best. There is a mini fridge (loud, rusty, super old, and door barely opened), microwave, sink (barley flowed), small sofa (with a chunk of cushion missing from on of the seat cushions), and table in the common area.
The bed area had a king size bed, tv, and dresser. The pillows were super hard and small. The bed's comforter (which we didn't sleep in), had supspicious bodily fluid stains on the outside, and the white sheets had brown stains. We ended up just sleeping on the fold out bed instead.
You can find a better place for this price. We double locked the car and doors to our room....not a great part of town.
My rate was $79 with my final price being $91 total with state and city tax.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mandybb79
Wichita, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2010

I stayed here for two nights and was impressed with the size of the rooms. It used to be a Comfort Suites so the room I had a couch/bed, a chair, and a desk in a separate area. The breakfast was better than average and included a waffle maker and biscuits, gravy, and and an egg sausage mix. The only bad side was that the carpet was wet next to the air conditioner, however, the management cleaned it up whenever I reported it.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Dallas, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2010

I have stayed at a number of Super 8 hotels and always found a clean quiet room at a reasonable price. My "single" room on the second floor here was actually a suite, with sitting room having a sofa/fold out bed, coffee table and chairs, a small desk and chair, as well as a kitchenett, with counter, sink, microwave, frig, coffee maker, etc. The attached bedroom had a large TV and a very comfortable bed. A very nice, large, quiet room. The grounds were well maintained and clean. Full continental breakfast. Very friendly staff. A good place to stay for a couple or small family for a few days.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2010

I've had bad experiences with Super 8 in the past, and stumbled upon this place by accident. The outside of the building looked decent so I went in to check it out. There were autographed pictures of famous singers on the wall, so that was a good sign. We got a good deal on a great room. The staff was friendly and I would stay there again. The only bad thing was the lounge and dining area was warm, as if they are trying to keep costs down by using minimum air conditioning. Our room was hot when we first got there but cool by the time we went to sleep. The room had a small living room type area with couch and chairs, and the sleeping area was spacious. Overall a nice experience.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Wyoming
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2010

The room was big with a sleeping area and a separate sitting area with a couch. The owners were friendly and the price was reasonable. However, maintenance seems to be lacking and I can see this hotel going quicky downhill. The wallpaper is peeling in the bathrooms, etc. The breakfast was adequate. For the price, it was a reasonable place to stay but next time I'll probably spend a little more and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Rochester, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2010

Just off I40 and near shopping and restaurants, very near. Safe area. Underutilized hotel and very, very clean. I got a nice 2 room suite with kitchenette for 70 bucks. Very quiet and well kept. Nice couple operating the hotel. Only negative I can think of is no elevator but it is only a 2 story.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business