“Route 66 "I've been there" Destination”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Big Texan Opry

Big Texan Opry
More attraction details
Owner description: Each Tuesday, country western performers gather at the Big Texan Steak Ranch to perform for restaurant patrons.
Rochester, New York
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Route 66 "I've been there" Destination”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Revisited after 30 years. I used to have family in Amarillo who would take us there when we visited from NY. They see it as the tourist spot but we experienced it as a place to say "I've been there" when it airs on the travel channel or when bragging to co-workers of your odd-ball travels. It's an expensive visit for what you get but I already knew that going in. My husband who has never been to TX was just thrilled to be there especially when one table of guys took the 72 ounce steak challenge while we were there. While locals leave their cups on the table, we proudly display our souvenir cups at home! I could almost see envision my family members from 30 years ago laughing at what touristy fools we were but we had a great afternoon and, although broke the bank, we made memories for my own son. Now he can say "I've been there too!"

Visited July 2013
2 Thank Becky C

Amarillo
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Enjoyable place to visit”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Good food, good atmosphere. Has something for the whole family. I go at least twice a year. LOVE the prime rib!

Visited May 2013
Watauga, Texas
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“It's worth doing once.”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Our daughter and son-in-law invited both sets of families here as a big family get-together before sending off my son-in-law to Navy Officer Candidate School. For him it was a "last supper", and the last time we would see him for 12 weeks. Since we didn't live in the area, we all stayed in local hotels. We were surprised to find free Cadillac service from the hotel to the restaurant, although the Cadillacs had cheesy Longhorn horns mounted on the front, and weren't particularly fancy on the inside.

The Big Texan is more than a restaurant. There is a hotel adjacent (we didn't stay there). There is also an enormous gift shop. The claim to fame is the 72 oz steak and all the fixin's, which costs $72 to attempt to eat in one hour. The hungry customer is placed on a platform with a countdown timer over his head (and a bucket on the floor by his side, in case the food is just too much). One customer attempted while we were there, but wasn't able to eat it all. He did say it was worth the price, though. Apparently he had a better cut of steak than we had.

The wait was pretty slow; the service was even slower. It was crowded and loud. We could barely fit into our chairs which were crammed so tightly that we hit the customers behind us. The atmosphere was Victorian Western. Lots of picture opportunities. The food was fair, although the bread was really good. There were musicians walking around playing for tables for a tip. It was a fun place, but expensive. My husband and I split a rib eye steak (one of the cheaper options) My daughters also split an entree. Four people dined on two entrees, and it still cost us close to $100. It wasn't the best steak I've ever had, but it wasn't bad, either. We had a good time, and that's what we were there for. It was too expensive to go back, but worth doing once, especially for a big family reunion.

Visited February 2013
3 Thank actressteacher
Des Moines
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Kids had a great time, Steaks were great, loads of food”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

This is a great family fun time with some activities to do, a band that comes around, the steak challenge, and fantastic food. The rolls, steaks, and drinks were ample, and the food was very good. Our staff was a bit on the slow side, the meal did take a long time, almost 2 hours total, but the kids had fun. My issue outside of time was the cost, a $90 meal for a family of four with 1 drink each. That's a spendy stop, but if you need a place to get out, stretch your legs, and have some fun with your meal, this is a great stop. Also the kids meals come with a cowboy hat which my kids thought was amazing.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank Turbo_Todd
Hawkinge, England, United Kingdom
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“worth a look”
Reviewed November 23, 2012

we didnt not eat here as if was very busy but the fun area and the gift shop are worth a look. you should have a look at the 72oz stake and if you finish it you dont have to pay :0)

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Karen P

Been to Big Texan Opry? Share your experiences!