“La Kiva La Dump!”

Kiva Hotel Amarillo
Ranked #61 of 72 Hotels in Amarillo
Reviewed February 14, 2006

Checked into La Kiva on January 4, 2006. I stayed for less than an hour. The front desk was rude. The doors didn't lock. The room was filthy. The sheets were filthy. The bathroom was filthy. I saw a rat scrambling to get out the door. This place should be condemned. I even called the Amarillo Vistors' Bureau and the local Health Department. Beyond disgusting. La Kiva's name should really be La Dump.

• Stayed: January 2006, traveled on business
7  Thank liviinnorman

Higgins,TX
Reviewed September 12, 2005

My daughter-in law , 2 gradchildren and I went to Amarillo for a weekend outing. We had stayed at the Kiva several years back and it was OK. The front entrance can deceive you. About 12:30A.M. we found bedbugs under our pillows and under the sheets. I called the front desk to ask if someone could come up . They said they had no one available. They gave us another room. We were on the first floor and the new room was on the 3rd. floor. I ask if we could have someone to help us move our luggage. They had no one. So, after 5 trips of carrying our lugguage, all the baby bags, and 2 chldren we finally got to sleep about 2a.m.

I would never stay in this motel again. There was no excuse for the rudeness that they showed.

The thought of bed bugs in the bed was horrible.

• Stayed: September 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 16, 2005

This hotel may have been good a long time ago, but it isn't now. The check in clerk seemed bothered because I interupted her personal phone call. The room TV didn't work, and after several trys, a maintenance man showed up. He couldn't fix it so he took the tuner to the shop, returning about an hour later with a new tuner. The bathroom tub had a heavy stain from a drip line from the room above. The free breakfast was a joke. The place was filthy and should be closed down by the health department. AVOID La Kiva! There are much nicer places in Amarillo. Furthurmore, I object to paying in advance for a room and if I didn't like it I would have been assessed a $25 penalty. Travelocity should remove this Hotel from its recommended list. I know I will never recommend it. AVOID KIVA!

• Stayed: July 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 13, 2005

We were passing through Amarillo on the way home to Dallas. It was late when we checked in. Initial price quoted $80, but we asked for a better rate and were given $75. Still a rip off.

The first room, the air conditioner made a loud noise every five minutes, like wiring sizzling. You could tell they had worked on it because the intake was hanging from the ceiling. The TV did not work. All of the knobs were missing to the dressers and the table and fridge looked like they had seen numerous parties.

We sent the kids to the cloudy pool and went to the front desk to switch rooms due to the noisy AC. We were given another room. Even worse than the first and missing a bed. Went back to the front desk and requested another room. The AC was quiet but the condition of the room as bad as the first. Light bulbs missing, one lamp missing a switch, again all of the knobs missing from the furniture, red sticky stain on the carpet, exposed wiring. At least the sheets looked clean. My husband and I discussed finding another place to stay but it was after 10:30 at night.

The "free" breakfast cooked to order included eggs, white bread, burnt tator tots and sausage. Extra fee for pancakes or an omelette.

Doors to the outside were missing locks, the lights in the parking lot were out, pool does not meet minimum standards for code.

Take my advice, stay at a hotel other than the Kiva when passing through Amarillo.

Stayed: August 2005
6  Thank Rhonda B
Arlington, Texas
Reviewed August 8, 2005

I spent one night here after a trip to Palo Duro Canyon. First, the bathtub had no stopper. I called the front desk and they said one would be sent but it never was. The shower alternatively scalds and freezes you, because the water temperature will not regulate. My airconditioner did not work in my room, and made horrible noises all night. The hotels ice makers did not work, and the snack machines stole my money. The front desk would not give me a refund but told me to cal the owners of the vending machines. The doors to the outside were propped open all night, and I did not feel safe walking around this hotel. The interior condition of the rooms was poor and dirty. Finally, the free breakfat was horrid, and the servers were very rude. Spend the extra 15 bucks and stay at the hampton. It'll be worth the extra expense.

• Stayed: August 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
midland tx
Reviewed July 30, 2005

Stayed here one night.. had a family reunion to attend the next day. My parents got the honeymoon suite. I stayed in a room on the first floor. Looks can be deceiving... I had a frig.. a microwave, tv.. and king size bed. We stayed and visited with my parents in their room.. then when we went to our room.. the lights.. the microwave, the frig and even the tv.. did NOT work. I finally figured out that the whole wall on that side of the room had no electricity! Couldn't watch tv.. and couldn't use any of the appliances there. Couldn't do my hair the next day either. Also gave my kids a bath.. it wouldn't drain.. used a coathanger to unclog the drain. THAT WAS HORRIBLE!.. Went to bed thinking i would complain in the morning.. it was already midnight. Got up first thing in the morning and went to the desk. Was told i could not get a refund.. and that he would have sent a repairman to my room if i would have called the night before! I should have taken the "HORRIBLE CLOG" and set it on the desk! The floors are nasty and there was no hot water and I spent 63$. WHAT A CRAPPY DEAL! The man also said that i got a good rate for that room. HA HA!

• Stayed: July 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Houma, La
Reviewed July 6, 2005

Looks pretty good when you walk through the front door, but when you check in and go to your room its another story. The rooms are old and could be updated. I could see some water damage in the closet area. Wallpaper was lifting in spots nothing major, but ugly. I saw a couple of creepy crawlys one morning. This isn't a *** hotel. The staff was helpful and courteous, except the evening/late shift. Pool area was good. Breakfast was a disappointment. Meals were overcooked to a crisp or burnt. This was a cheap hotel.

• Stayed: July 2005, traveled on business