“Mixed bag”

Ranked #10 of 73 Hotels in Amarillo
Princeton, NJ
“Mixed bag”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Pro's - updated decor, very friendly staff, includes breakfast and dinner which was surprisingly basic, simple and ample ( fresh mixed salad and chicken cutlets). Spa with precor machines w tv. Suites. Sink outside of bathroom. Great for families with young kids or teens. Felt very private and nice. I did not use the kitchen area so no comments there but looks great.

Con's - looks clean because newly updated and for the most part it is clean. But floor was sticky and showed streak marks from perhaps not fresh water. Gym equipment was dusty. Room smelled from room deodorizer which may be connected to the vents. I felt it in my throat. Bed too soft for my preference. No cups at sink and only one washcloth. ( minor issue of course)

I would hesitate coming here if you have asthma or similar. If you are generally easy going and not overly fussy like me, you will very much enjoy this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from main road.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
AmarilloRI_GM, Manager at Residence Inn Amarillo, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We are glade you enjoyed our breakfast and evening social hour. We apologize for not having the correct amount of washcloths in your room. I have spoke with our housekeeping team about the sticky floor and the strong room deodorizer. We apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused but appreciate the feedback to better serve our guest.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Norfolk, Nebraska
Reviewed February 2, 2013

We had our dog with us. I called Mariott to find out if it was a pet friendly hotel, yes they are. Watch out tho, we got a bill for 50.00 for our dog. I talked to another man that morning and he said he stays there and sneaks his dog in cause of the price. I have NEVER paid to have my dog along at any hotel, now that is HIGHWAY ROBBERY in my book.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pete B
El Paso
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Was in town for a week and stayed for 5 nights, I was impressed with the friendliness of the staff and the cleanliness of the rooms. Our room was very nice and had a full size refrigerator, microwave, counter top stove, along with all the necessary utensils, pots, pans, etc..

Rooms were very quiet and we had no trouble falling asleep at nights, which was a relief since the hotel is close to numerous shopping and eating establishments, so we needed our rest. Breakfast was excellent, along with the free internet service. We took advantage of the indoor pool and sauna, and even though it was VERY cold outside, the pool area was kept at a comfortable temperature and we enjoyed our dip in the pool.

An exercise area was also available with a full compliment of resistance and aerobic type gear, I only wish I had had time to enjoy its benefits.

I wholeheartedly recommend this hotel and will definitely be back again.

Room Tip: Stayed on the second floor and the floor was very quiet and even though our room was close to the el...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Manuel T
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed here jan 4-7 2013. We got a 2 bedroom suite. It was surprisingly beautiful did not expect this type of room from them! Fully Equipped kitchen, fireplace really good all around! If y can eat at the Big Texan and Famous Dave's but I did not like the smell of the city. . . It smelled like cow poop. Lol

• Stayed January 2013
Houston, Texas
Reviewed December 20, 2012

When I stay the night in Amarillo, Texas, I always stay at the Residence Inn. The rooms are clean and comfortable. They serve an excellent breakfast! The hotel provides free internet service, as well!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed December 6, 2012

This happens to be a place I stay quite a bit as it is one of the few pet friendly options in Amarillo. The staff never seems very friendly but it could be I usually come in pretty late and they might be tired by then....whatever. So this place REALLY needed an update and it is a huge improvement I was a little disappointed that quality of the remodel seems a little lacking(like crooked wallpaper!), regardless I like this property for the easy freeway access and pet friendly aspect the breakfast was fine not great by the time we made it down it was pretty much wiped out so it seemed like first come first served, not much restocking going on. I will stay here again and thank heavens this place got a face lift!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Anneisfashion
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed November 30, 2012

We stayed here two nights coming & going during a Thanksgiving road trip.
As Marriott Platinum, we were upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite. Very clean, good beds, spacious,
friendly staff, decent breakfast. No complaints, one of the nicer Residence Inns we have experienced.
Many chain restaurants within 5 minute drive. The famous Big Texan Steakhouse is about 15 minutes East.
An interesting one-time experience for the ambiance (the food is rather mediocre).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple