“OK but not quite up to snuff”

Residence Inn Amarillo
Ranked #15 of 72 Hotels in Amarillo
Reviewed January 25, 2012

This Residence Inn is pretty ho-hum compared with others we've stayed in recently. The bed sheets and mattress pad kept coming off the King Sized bed all night long and it was rather noisy with I-40 right outside our window. Clean, OK, but not terrific for the price. Nice breakfast - staff very fine.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the Interstate.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank koolbill

Reviewed December 29, 2011

Staff is very friendly. Eve the maids are smiling and talkative. They are in the process of remodeling all of the rooms. My room had a very contemporary look the new furnishings.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank LandOrSea
Reviewed August 22, 2011

The facility is tired and needs new paint, light fixtures, furniture, bed spread and curtains. The facility is clean and the help desk is polite. WE skipped the breakfast, and the motel is convenient to restaurants but not much motel value for your dollar. This was our second stay within a year but we won’t stay there again.

Lastly, I am a Marriott Rewards member and I booked my room under my membership number. I mistaken left my personal bed pillow in the room after we checked out. My pillow obviously has a pillow cover that does not match the bed sheets, so the person cleaning the room can easily know that the pillow does not belong. Marriott has not tried to contact me regarding the finding of my pillow. I guess they just threw it away. Very disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank BMWM5Driver
Reviewed July 27, 2011

My normal expectations of a Residence Inn were satisfied here. Only a few points to note. The indoor pool was a nice feature for the climate we were in. The woman that check me in (she was toting a neon green backpack) was minimally friendly but she restrained herself well and only narrowed her eyes at me when I started to moan how every flipping hotel did tax exemption differently. (Seriously! Why is every hotel I visit have different hoops I have to jump through to get tax exemption at checkin, only to have to go and have it actually applied at checkout because after a shift change the next person has no idea it was supposed to be applied?!) I would have no problem staying here again.

Room Tip: Not much for views but everything was nice, clean, and reasonably quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 23, 2011

We rented a two room suite because we were traveling with our family.
1, The bath tub had black slimy mold and hair in it, especially around the Lucite towel rack.
2. The roll away bed had sheets and a blankets They had NEVER been changed. There was hair everywhere. Gross!
3. The pullout sofa had hair embedded in the blanket and hair in the sheets.
4. The sink had toothpaste from the previous occupant...even grosser!!
NEVER again!!!!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank cinnamongirl2
Reviewed June 18, 2011

I do not give too many negative reviews, but this one ...... I stayed here with with wife and 2 teenagers in early June. It was a poor excuse for a Residence Inn. #1- One of the closet doors in the bedroom was just leaning against the wall. Not working at all. #2- No popcorn in the room. I mentioned this when checking out and was told that they were doing a major renovation soon. Why would you upgrade your hotel status when it is in disrepair? Not sure the management has their act together here.
The breakfast was fine.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Los-Alamos-NM
Reviewed April 30, 2011

This was the second time that I have stayed at the Residence Inn in Amarillo. After reading some of the recent reviews, I was concerned that this hotel had slipped some since my visit last year. I was pleased that my expectations were met. This is not a new property, but it is well-maintained for its age. They delivered the consitent quality that I expect from Residence Inn with a friendly, well-trained staff; clean, spacious rooms; and a comfortable, quiet night's stay. We got a pleasant surprise at dinner time with their taco/nacho night. The woman who prepared the food was allowed to use her own family recipe for both the taco meat and the guacamole and both far exceeded the usual "corporate-flovored" standard stuff that we expected. We canceled our dinner plans and ate in. Breakfast had a nice twist with some nicely spiced potato pancakes instead of the usual hash browns.
Regarding the earlier critical reviews, I suspect they probably set the bar too high. I have spent nearly 400 nights in Marriott brand hotels and rarely find myself disappointed based on the expectations I have of the brand that I chose. This hotel meets the standards that I expect from Residence Inn.

• Stayed: April 2011