“Just one flaw...”

Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Alpine
Grabs, Switzerland
“Just one flaw...”
Reviewed April 25, 2011

One of the better BW out there in Texas with a nice spacious interior, some interesting murals and a pleasant atmosphere. Staff were pleasant and welcoming and the breakfast was good for a hotel of this class but.........
The pool was out. Ok the hot tub was working but who wants to sit in a hot tub at the end of a hard day in the saddle? The pool was a deal breaker for us and had we known in advance we would not have stayed here. It wasn't just out either, it had been out for 2 months! Apparently the pump went kaput in february's cold snap and they could not get a part in 2 months? Come on. At the very least they should have emailed every booking to explain in advance.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Texas
Reviewed April 3, 2011

Had to make a trip to Alpine to take care of some necessary, urgent business. Jeremy (owner) was the one working late (after midnight) that night & upon arrival we must have looked as bedraggled as we felt...he upgraded us to the suite, at the same great price! We ended up staying 5 days instead of the planned 2, in order to take care of all we had to take care of, and the extra space really helped make it much better! During the stay he (or others on staff) always inquired if we needed anything, when they saw us around, were very attentive to our needs, and always took the time to chat or answer questions. The housekeeping staff was especially nice, friendly and accomodating. We enjoyed the hot tub, the pool and really great breakfasts (bacon, eggs, biscuits/gravy, croissants, fruit pastries, etc) every morning! Also loved the Texas/Southwest decor! Added assets: stunning mountain views, watching the deer from your window, convenience store/gas station next door and Penny's Diner just a short walk across the parking lot! We ate there many times, never tired of it! Great food! Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel!!! Thank you Jeremy and staff, for your great hospitality!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Austin, Texas
Reviewed March 31, 2011

Stayed at the BW Alpine Classic Inn for 1 night during our spring break trip out to Big Bend. The hotel is a typical newer BW facility, with decent sized room that is pretty clean. On our visit during peak spring break season, the hotel ran out of breakfast items by 9:00am and also the WiFi was at crawling speeds, frustrating (but somewhat understandable due to the hotel being fully booked).

Alpine itself is one of the less exciting towns in this area. The dining choices are far and few between (it seems like The Reata is the only interesting choice?) I preferred my stays in Terlingua, Marathon, and inside Big Bend National Park's Chisos Mountain Lodge over Alpine. If I had to do this trip over, I would have looked at booking a room in Marfa or Fort Davis (closer to McDonald Observatory) instead.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank donnaaries
eugene, oregon
Reviewed March 27, 2011

This was my second time staying here on my way to Big Bend National Park. This is a somewhat better than average Best Western - not luxury, but comfortable and good value.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Newcastle
Reviewed November 29, 2010

This is a nice Bestwestern with helpful staff. The guy on the front desk went out of his way to get us an early check-in and was able to make good dining recommendations! Would definately recommend!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed November 4, 2010

I was very pleased with my overall stay at the Best Western Alpine Classic Inn, in Alpine, Texas. It's not a 5-star luxury hotel by definition, and it's not new, but considering where it is, and what's around it, the service was great and I would definitely stay there again. It was a little pricey at the time I was there, but I had a really great room with a sitting area, microwave and small fridge. It was clean, the bed was very nice, the wireless internet was excellent which was a little unexpected considering the remote location. The breakfast in the morning was great. The staff across the board was very helpful and very pleasant. I had been on the road several days and was able to get my laundry done. I was there at Memorial Day and spent one day at Big Bend N.P. on my way to other places. There is no restaurant on-site, and I was not able to find a good restaurant nearby. At that time of year some places are closed because that's technically the beginning of the off-season. It is HOT during the day and HOT in the park and a lot of facilities in the park are also not working. I suggest to travelers that you take some food along that you can make in your room; there is a grocery store in the room and I think there was a McDonald's but otherwise Alpine is a very small, tired old town.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Emeryville CA
Reviewed October 21, 2010

On a two-day visit to the art foundations in Marfa, I decided to stay 25 miles away in Alpine because I didn't like the reviews of Marfa's hotels. The Best Western in on the main drag, has a nice spa and clean but cold pool, and very comfortable, spacious rooms, with microwave, refrigerator and flat panel TV with lots of channels.

Best Westerns tend to fall in the two-star category in terms of amenities, and this one was definitely in that class. But I've always liked Best Westerns--they don't over-promise, don't have luxurious reception areas, but always live up to their promise. And of Best Westerns I've stayed at, this one could well be the very best.

The only thing that bothered me was that at check-in I was first put into a room with two queen beds, even though I was clearly alone and almost certainly had reserved a single. But once I had dragged all my stuff back to the front desk, I was moved to a nice room with a single king-size bed.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo