“A unique hotel but...”
Review of The Maverick Inn

The Maverick Inn
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Alpine
Reviewed November 7, 2013

We normally stay at The Holland Hotel but we decided to try their sister property and save a few dollars. But, within minutes of arriving and checking into our room, we realized we were not going to be comfortable there for 4 nights. Don't get me wrong, the place is clean, the bed was comfortable, and front desk was friendly (more so at check-out) -- but just not the comfort we like. Fortunately, the hotel is owned by the same people that own The Holland so the GM was very gracious in letting us check out the next morning and move to a suite in The Holland. Now, back to The Maverick: Basically, an old motor lodge that has been tastefully renovated in a kitschy, southwestern fashion; it wasn't so much the size of our room, but the lack of comfortable lounging. Furnished with a king sized bed, a long, narrow bench at the end of the bed, a rustic-style, tall armoire that contained a small TV, the microwave and a small fridge, one club-type chair and a small writing nook with a wooden ladder-back chair. What made it uncomfortable for the two of us was that there was only one somewhat comfortable chair to sit in to watch TV and the TV did not face the bed. The room did not contain a luggage rack so our suitcases went on the floor or on the bench or the bed (but there was a large shelf with a rod beneath it for hanging clothes). The curtains on the window within a few feet from the bed also did not quite have enough coverage to give full privacy -- the curtain rod extends about six inches out from the wall so there were gaps on either end that could easily allow a view into our room when the curtains were drawn to close in the middle. Suggestions to management: 1) Add a small love seat or at least a second club chair so two people can watch TV comfortably; 2) Extend the curtain rod far enough on either side of the window and add an extra panel for full privacy; 3) add at least one folding luggage rack to hold a suitcase; and 4) add a small table for drinks, remote control, etc. If our room had had these, we very likely would have stayed all four nights. The grounds include a nice courtyard area with a fire pit as well as a sitting area just outside the breakfast room (say hello to St. Cowboy aka Jake!). I would still recommend The Maverick but I would caution to ask about the furnishings or size of the room before booking.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jafenn
TheMaverickInn, General Manager at The Maverick Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Gosh, I can't thank you enough for your input! I feel as though I owe you a consultant fee, thank you for the time, detail and compliments. I assure you I will address all the issues that were a concern. Once again I appreciate your desire to lend a hand in enhancing future guest's comfort.
Mark

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Just felt like Texas. Not sure if it was the fact that I had been camping the past couple days or if the bed really was that comfortable, but it was a great sleep. The commode was tucked away and was a bit cramped, and while there was limited actual parking places, I just parked right in front of my door and it was fine. Service was warm and welcoming, and the breakfast in the morning was delicious. highly recommend!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo

Harvey,
Thank you! I can't think of a higher compliment that you could've given us Texans and our little inn. We love sharing the West Texas feeling personally, but when you talk about the atmosphere being Texas I know your hat's off to us. Thanks again...Mark

Reviewed November 3, 2013

The image of Radiator Springs in the children's movie 'Cars' came to mind when we were driving into Alpine - and then when my husband pulled into the Maverick Inn - I laughed out loud. It is perfect. The atmosphere fits the area and western heritage to a T. I loved staying here. Our room was a very spacious one with 2 double beds. We had plenty of space in the bathroom - always a sore spot for me. And the cleanliness - I was so happy this place was clean, the grounds were well kept and I just felt so safe and happy walking around. Outside our door we had a nice table and chairs to sit and chat and look up at the night sky. The next day we discovered the back patio ... oh what a joy. Being here in cooler weather of course we didn't use the pool but I could imagine kids playing in the summer would have so much fun. If you are headed to Alpine - or even if your just planning on driving through - make this a stop for the night and stay at the Maverick Inn. Breakfast is included - and the cinnamon rolls were local and fresh made goodness! We could have enjoyed more time here had we only known. Now they do warn you about the train noise - and offer ear plugs - but I think you are going to experience that any where in town. After the first startle awake - we were fine. Our beds were firm nothing special - but we did have a selection of pillows on each to choose from - I like full and husband likes squishy - we were both happy.

Room Tip: Room 12 was perfect.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Cheri,
Thank you so much for your review, but I was even more excited when I caught the feeling you had staying with us in your review. I hope in the future you will have more time to spend with us and maybe in the summertime when you can enjoy that pool!
Thanks Again,
Mark

Reviewed October 28, 2013

This is the best kept secret in Alpine! A little hidden gem. The rooms were wonderfully decorated, quaint and fit the whole ambience of Alpine and the western part of Texas. I love this place and will be coming back!

Room Tip: We stayed in a room with a king that had an adjoining room with a queen. We opened them up and went...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
TheMaverickInn, General Manager at The Maverick Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Kiki,
Thank you! It really means a lot to us to get a compliment on our West Texas ambiance from a fellow West Texan. We sure hope you get a lot more chances to come west on US 90, you're always welcome at The Maverick...Mark

Reviewed October 20, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay here. The Maverick Inn in Alpine was easy to find after a very, very long drive from El Paso. I learned later that Southwest flies to Midland which is only 2 hours away.

The staff couldn't have been friendlier or more helpful. We stayed an entire week, so we got to know them. There are very nice restaurants nearby, but one night we scheduled a cookout by the pool with family and the staff bent over backwards to make sure we enjoyed ourselves. There is a fenced in yard in back and one night we enjoyed sitting in Adirondack chairs around a fire pit.

We came out for a family reunion, so I wasn't sure what Alpine would be like. I'm happy to say there's a lot to do. Fort Davis is about 45 minutes away and the McDonald Observatory is a must. There is a fascinating afternoon tour where you can see the sun through a filtered telescope and then go up to one of the observatories. Better than Mt Palomar. On Friday night we went to a star party. Amazing!

We also went soaring in a glider with Marfa Gliders. Fun!

Lots to do and see.

The breakfasts were fantastic with rolls from Judy's Bread and Breakfast. I usually try to avoid cinnamon rolls, but we couldn't resist these. Also homemade granola. Coffee is great. I would definitely recommend Alpine and the Maverick Inn. Hope we can come back someday.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
TheMaverickInn, General Manager at The Maverick Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2013

Thank you for such a warm and comprehensive review, of not just the hotel, but Alpine in general! Y'all were such a pleasure to have here and you were the kind of guests we look forward to seeing each day to hear of the adventures and experiences. You make being an innkeeper fun and I hope you make back someday too! Mark

Reviewed October 10, 2013

We took a week long Big Bend road trip with the dogs. Spent 3 nights here at the Maverick Inn. Very comfortable beds, nice, clean rooms. The staff is super nice and our dogs were very happy to see them each time we were out. Will definitely refer and be back.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
TheMaverickInn, General Manager at The Maverick Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2013

Thank you for your review! We like to think we take "pet friendly" to a new level cause we sure like pets. It is also an honor to get such a great review from a senior contributor and a referral to boot! Thanks again...Mark

Reviewed October 9, 2013

The Maverick Inn was a wonderful choice for our short stay in the Alpine area. Phone contact prior to arrival was so positive and helpful. Upon arrival, we were treated like dear friends. We got to stay in Room #10 which has just recently been added. They renovated an old storage area to create the room--beautiful hardwood floors (original), doors opening to a private patio, rustic/southwestern type finishes comfortable bed, good ac, and tv, internet, fridge, microvave. Just a great room. Additionally, they make the kitchen available to guests at all times--not just breakfast. Great continental breakfast is served daily with lots of choices. The manager is so personable and welcoming. Every need of guests is accommodated. We loved this hotel! We will definitely choose is again if we are in the Alpine area. It is NOT a cookie-cutter place, but a refreshing, unique facility. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Room #10 is a delight--as I am sure they all are.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

We love being loved. Thank you so very much for your and high compliments. I really loved your room description and giving your review such ambiance. I hope you make back to Alpine in the future, we'd love to have you for a longer stay. Thanks again...Mark

Also consider these accommodations in or near Alpine
Holland Hotel
#1 of 13 in Alpine
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#6 of 13 in Alpine

Been to The Maverick Inn? Share your experiences!