“Weekend Escape”

Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Alpine
Side Lake, Minnesota
“Weekend Escape”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

#What a wonderful place to stay. Thought the employees were the owners since they were so accommodating and friendly. The room we stayed in was rustic but beautiful and so comfortable. We would highly recommend The Maverick Inn to anyone. Best continental breakfast we have ever found.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
TheMaverickInn, Manager at The Maverick Inn, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Wow! Thank you for all the kind words and the review. I really appreciate your comment on the staff. One my strongest efforts as manager is to instill a sense of ownership throughout the inn, so thank you again. Your kudos on breakfast were also greatly appreciated...Mark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Dallas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

I don't write many reviews and this review is not about Alpine Texas, it's about this great motel in Alpine "The Maverick Inn". It's where the West begins, "It's where time stands still and it's where I chose to spend my big 50".
Although Alpine is a great scenic place to go with good restaurants and bars, The Maverick Inn is a great place to stay! This great adobe motel is absoultely one of the few left with the original neon sign, quaint rooms are very clean with rustic furnishings, great bedding etc. I personally don't care for the "mega monster (fusion) hotels or the all inclusive resorts" I personally favor and seek out the professional run, clean, original motels and this one nails it period! Mark and the crew were very professional, warm and knowlegeble about the area. *The coffee is very good and roasted locally. My stay was limited to 3 nights but it seemed like I had been away for a month! Thanks again Mark and everyone for a great stay! Highly recommend and will definitely be back !!!

Room Tip: We stayed in two of the rooms, both were really nice!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
TheMaverickInn, Manager at The Maverick Inn, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Happy Birthday one more time and thank you! Sometimes I feel that the genuineness of our "West Texas Spirit" is unseen, but to have you tell us that a major life milestone was enjoyed so fully warms my heart. Thanks again...Mark
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

We just got back from a 2 night stay. We loved it! The decor was so Texas, rustic wood furniture, red tile floors, cow hide rug, all the amenities we needed to be comfortable. The beds were awesome and i'm really picky because of a bad back..We had room 111 right next to the office. It was huge, it was surrounded by a little court yard which was a nice touch. There breakfast was very limited but there was plenty to eat, I just like a hot breakfast when i'm traveling. The staff was wonderful, everyone of them makes you feel like family and accommodates your every need..The only complaint I have is that when you check in your given coupons for a free drink at their sister hotel and restaurant down the street. We all went there for dinner (there were 8 of us) and we were all so disappointed! We had there special and paid a high price for it, nothing about the meal was good, don't eat there..Other than that we had a wonderful time. Thank you Maverick staff!!!!

Room Tip: Room 111 is very large with a Queen bed and a King bed.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Kimmer,
Thank you so much for the review! We loved having your family get-together at The Maverick and in Alpine, it really was a lot of fun for us too. I really thank you for the mention of our bedding quality since that is THE basic ingredient of any hotel! Thanks again and bless y'all...Mark
Odessa, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

My wife and I just returned from a one night stay (for a last minute nearby get away).

The grounds, while small on space, were appealing and nicely maintained (I really like the adobe construction). There is a fire pit and seating behind the lobby that guests are welcomed to use (I also saw a gas grill by the pool).

Check in was easy and the gentleman at the desk was extremely pleasant. He made some dining recommendations and gave us directions.

Our room (#33) was very clean. The décor was in tune with the architecture of the property. I was a little surprised on how small it was; I booked the “deluxe” room over the “standard” (website states the deluxe rooms are larger). It wasn’t really an issue for just the two of us and one nights worth of luggage, but we had considered bringing our dog with us (they are pet friendly), and that would have been a disaster (I don’t think his crate would have fit in the room). The high ceilings do help give a sense of space. The bathroom was also small, but I liked the design of it with an adobe shower inlaid with Mexican tiles (I also liked that they kept what looks to be an original sink).

While on the topic of the shower, I should also mention that we had very little hot water in the morning. It wasn’t that we ran out; was only slightly warmer than lukewarm and the pressure was weak.

Breakfast was better than your average continental offerings. They had locally made granola, local coffee, and homemade pastries (cinnamon rolls, muffins, and scones), fruit, and some boxed cereals. They had a refrigerator stocked with juice, milk, and water that guests could help themselves to. The granola was fantastic and we snagged a cinnamon roll for the road (it was remarkably good). It was nice to see a lack of mass produced “food”. My one complaint about breakfast was the eating space. There was only really enough room for 4-5 people (there was some seating just outside). There was a large display case holding Maverick Inn t-shirts that was easily cutting the seating space in half; ditch it and add more tables.

My nitpicks are just that. Part of it comes down to working with the space and layout of a historic property (may also explain the shower temperature/pressure). I’ll gladly take those quirks any day as opposed to staying in a corporate owned box. I’ll also say that it seemed like a good value (if you’re unfamiliar with the area, rooms at some of the better properties in the Alpine/Marfa area can be high). We will gladly stay here in the future.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
TheMaverickInn, Manager at The Maverick Inn, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you for review and especially that it was highly informational (just to let you know I have adjusted the hot water settings for that building and I apologize for any discomfort). It is so nice to have guests take the time to write in detail as you did and for a manager it becomes more than a review, but an operational tool. I hope to see you on future "getaways"...Mark
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

We had a really great experience at the Maverick. The rooms are adorable, really comfortable and inviting. The decor and atmosphere of the whole place is very charming and enjoyable. Comfortable beds and spacious bathrooms.

The staff was very friendly and accommodating and made sure we had a comfortable, enjoyable stay. They also offer a really delicious complimentary breakfast in the morning that was definitely worth staying for.

All together a wonderful experience I would gladly repeat & highly recommend!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for a glowing review of your Maverick Inn experience, but more importantly that you had such an enjoyable stay here with us. We hope to see you again on adventures to the Big Bend!
Hollywood, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

Woo! I bought their Groupon deal and was able to use it right away! Right off the bat, they had stellar customer service. Even though it is a mom and pop run hotel, they were more than happy to accommodate a late check in. We stayed in the room with the garden tub (no shower) I'm a bath person, so I loved it! I took 3 baths in one day! My only complaint (a minor one) was the musty smell. It might have been the heater or maybe some water damage... I got used to it eventually. Overall, this hotel was a great experience. I highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
TheMaverickInn, Manager at The Maverick Inn, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Casey,

Thank you for the review and a double thank you for the "stellar customer service" comment. We love providing 'beyond the basics" service and it makes us keep trying harder when we receive comments like this, not to mention the morale boost it gives us. Thanks again...Mark
Abilene, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

1/30/13
I stayed at the Maverick last weekend on a short motorcycle trip. This was probably my 4th or 5th stay. While it has always been a good place to stay while visiting the Big Bend area, they have been making constant improvements to the property. They now have a nice kitchen, an outdoor patio and an area in back with a firepit and plenty of firewood. A most enjoyable stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Dudley K
TheMaverickInn, Manager at The Maverick Inn, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dudley,
Thank you! It was great to have you and the whole crew here. It is so nice to know that the little things don't go unnoticed by those who stay with us often. It also makes my owners happy knowing that their efforts are appreciated. Thanks again Dudley...Mark
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alpine
Holland Hotel
#5 of 13 in Alpine
Hotel Saint George
Hotel Saint George
#1 of 4 in Marfa

Been to The Maverick Inn? Share your experiences!