“Great Hotel With Lots of Character”
Review of Holland Hotel

Holland Hotel
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Alpine
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I recently spent one night at the Holland Hotel. The last time I stayed there was about 12 years ago. My recollection of the hotel then was that it was a pretty nice hotel in downtown Alpine. Nothing special...but not bad. The hotel has been significantly renovated since then and I truly loved the place. The hotel is across the street from the Amtrak station. There are a number of trains that go through Alpine, day and night. Thus, the hotel provides earplugs in the room. I did not use mine and I never heard a train all night. The staff were great and the room was suitably sized for a person travelling by himself. The lobby is quite impressive with lots of nooks and crannies to explore. The hotel serves a decent continental breakfast in the AM. What is nice is that you can eat it indoors or outdoors in the hotel's private patio. Nice! The breakfast choices are standard fare for hotel breakfasts, but there are plenty of choices to keep most folks happy and full. My only complaint was with the coffee. It was a la Folgers. Admittedly being a coffee snob, I think the Holland could find some better coffee for their guests. That truly was my only complaint. I loved Alpine and loved the Holland. I will return!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank calumet22
Julie M, Manager at Holland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

I am so thankful you took the time to write a review on your recent stay here with us. We value your loyalty and are so thankful you choose us whenever you are in Alpine! The hotel has had many upgrades recently and as a staff we strive to improve our services especially with our repeat guests! We have also upgraded our coffee to include a specialty roast provided by Big Bend Coffee Roasters, we hope you like it! Please let us know when you will be in Alpine again!
Warm Regards

Reviewed August 17, 2013

Really enjoyed the décor. The food was great had the steak and shrimp. The steak melted in your mouth. Nice king size bed and we did not hear the trains. Enjoyed looking at the old pictures and how they have restored the building.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your wonderful review on your recent stay! The Century Bar and Grill is especially thankful for your lovely compliments on their steak and shrimp! Please let us know when you will be in the area again! I would love to give you a complimentary upgrade to one of our specialty suites! Let me know, thanks again!

Reviewed August 15, 2013

We stayed at The Holland Hotel in February as part of an extended road trip through the Big Bend area. Even though we "popped in" with no reservations, we were welcomed and made to feel at home right away! There was a fire roaring in the huge fireplace at the end of the great room enticing us to enjoy the overstuffed furniture and reading materials; but not for long since we had complimentary cocktails waiting for us at the Century Bar & Grill. Which, by the way has EXCELLENT food and drinks and is located within the Hotel (martinis and lobster mac 'n cheese for starters!)! The rate was extremely reasonable and included a full breakfast for two and, as I mentioned, two free cocktails! We wound up staying longer than we planned, so on the second night, they upgraded us to a HUGE suite for the same rate! When we got back from our day trip, our luggage had been moved for us!! This hotel was built in the early 1900's but, thankfully, has been beautifully restored, keeping as much of the original woodwork and tile work as possible. Kudos to whoever did the restoration, maintaining all the Holland Hotel's character, but providing all the amenities one could ask for; including internet, elevator, a separate game room w/pool table and a HUGE TV and a very cozy enclosed outdoor patio w/fireplace. Can you tell we LOVED this place and we WILL be back!

Room Tip: The "single" rooms are pretty small; worth it to upgrade to a "double" or a suit...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your kind words and your wonderful review! We are so happy to hear that you had such a wonderful experience! That is what we strive for and we value our guests feedback in order to do just what you experienced! We are looking forward to your next stay and please let me know when that will be! I would love to offer you a suite you haven't stayed in yet!
Thanks again!

Reviewed August 6, 2013

A big thanks to Carla at the Holland. She graciously upgraded our room to a loft because no one was using it! The loft was beautiful with a charming courtyard perfect for enjoying your morning cup of coffee (or a glass of wine in the evening). Now that's what I call Texas hospitality!

Room Tip: The lofts are fantastic!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Nicholas P, Public Relations Manager at Holland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Thank you for the kind words. We are glad that we were able to upgrade you and that you enjoyed the lofts! Please come back and see us again. Best regards, Nick.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

A very comfortable hotel. Rooms were great. The only minor concern was that the agent failed to mention that breakfast was available as part of the package. We discovered that fact on the second day. However, we did check in late and in a hurry, so in my opinion that was not a major concern. I love the lobby and the central location, with easy parking just outside the hotel. I have recommended this hotel to others, and would love to go back again myself.

Room Tip: All the rooms seemed fine to me. I was particularly curious about the penthouse suite, but never got...
1  Thank jfsmim

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay! We are happy that you found your accommodations both comfortable and convenient. Alpine is a great town to walk and check out the restaurants, shops and bars, and we are fortunate to have a central location. Breakfast is included with the standard room rate-- please accept my apologies that we did not bring this to your attention. Come back and see us again! We would be happy to show you our penthouse, as well as some of our other suites. The penthouse has a deck with a hot tub, and a great view of Holland Ave! Best, Nick

Reviewed August 1, 2013

The room I had was beautiful and had the most comfortable bed. The location is great. The staff is so helpful and friendly. The hotel itself is beautiful. Hope to be returning for another stay soon!!!

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you for your kind words! Please let us know when you plan to return to Alpine so that we can take care of you. We look forward to seeing you again soon! Best regards, Nick

Reviewed August 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed at The Holland Hotel during the Viva Big Bend Festival last weekend. Our second floor room was clean, quiet, and very comfortable. We love the central location of The Holland and the fact that we can walk everywhere once our car is parked. The Century Bar and Grill serves delicious food and is a fun place to socialize with the other hotel guests. We've visited Alpine several times and stayed at The Holland every time. The hotel employees are friendly and helpful and always make The Holland feel like our home away from home. Can't wait to go back to Alpine!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for staying with us during Viva Big Bend, and taking the time to review our property. We are glad that you enjoyed the convenience of our central location during the exciting festival. The Century Bar and Grill is a great meeting place to mingle with both locals and visitors. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you as a loyal customer, and hope to see you again soon. Best, Nick

Also consider these accommodations in or near Alpine
The Maverick Inn
#4 of 13 in Alpine
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#6 of 13 in Alpine

Been to Holland Hotel? Share your experiences!