“Great Hotel in an interesting town”
Review of Holland Hotel

Holland Hotel
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Alpine
dallas
“Great Hotel in an interesting town”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

A very comfortable hotel. Rooms were great. The only minor concern was that the agent failed to mention that breakfast was available as part of the package. We discovered that fact on the second day. However, we did check in late and in a hurry, so in my opinion that was not a major concern. I love the lobby and the central location, with easy parking just outside the hotel. I have recommended this hotel to others, and would love to go back again myself.

Room Tip: All the rooms seemed fine to me. I was particularly curious about the penthouse suite, but never got...
1 Thank jfsmim
Nicholas P, Public Relations Manager at Holland Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay! We are happy that you found your accommodations both comfortable and convenient. Alpine is a great town to walk and check out the restaurants, shops and bars, and we are fortunate to have a central location. Breakfast is included with the standard room rate-- please accept my apologies that we did not bring this to your attention. Come back and see us again! We would be happy to show you our penthouse, as well as some of our other suites. The penthouse has a deck with a hot tub, and a great view of Holland Ave! Best, Nick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Reviewed August 1, 2013

The room I had was beautiful and had the most comfortable bed. The location is great. The staff is so helpful and friendly. The hotel itself is beautiful. Hope to be returning for another stay soon!!!

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for your kind words! Please let us know when you plan to return to Alpine so that we can take care of you. We look forward to seeing you again soon! Best regards, Nick
The Woodlands, Texas
Reviewed August 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed at The Holland Hotel during the Viva Big Bend Festival last weekend. Our second floor room was clean, quiet, and very comfortable. We love the central location of The Holland and the fact that we can walk everywhere once our car is parked. The Century Bar and Grill serves delicious food and is a fun place to socialize with the other hotel guests. We've visited Alpine several times and stayed at The Holland every time. The hotel employees are friendly and helpful and always make The Holland feel like our home away from home. Can't wait to go back to Alpine!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us during Viva Big Bend, and taking the time to review our property. We are glad that you enjoyed the convenience of our central location during the exciting festival. The Century Bar and Grill is a great meeting place to mingle with both locals and visitors. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you as a loyal customer, and hope to see you again soon. Best, Nick
Killeen, Texas, United States
Reviewed July 29, 2013

The Holland Hotel is very nice and centrally located in the middle of downtown Alpine. My wife and I just spent the weekend attending the Viva Big Bend music festival and everything was within walking distance. This hotel is over 80 years old, but has been updated without losing any of the original atmosphere and charm. If you want a historic experience with a touch of class, then the Holland is the place to stay. If a person wants a NEW hotel, then go to one of the other local chains! Just like any hotel, there were a few annoyances, but nothing that was intolerable. My only negative was not enough parking next to the hotel and I did not see any ghost. In conclusion, I give the Holland Hotel and their friendly staff a “thumbs up” and I will stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
We are so happy that you chose to stay with us during Viva Big Bend! It was an exciting weekend for the businesses, residents, and visitors alike. We find the history of our hotel interesting and welcoming, as well, and glad that you appreciate it. Please come back and visit us again, and I will be sure to call the ghosts ahead of time. Thank you for your review. Best, Nick
Texas
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I will try and break down by category of what I thought of the Holland Hotel.

LOBBY: 5 STARS!!!
Gorgeous lobby, beautifully restored, great details from the artwork to the furniture. It beats any modern hotel hands down! Loved sitting there and taking in all that was going on.

FRONT DESK: 3 to 3.5 STARS
Friendly and efficient, but not too helpful. I had a 21 month old toddler with me. Would have liked a little assistance to my room tugging a suitcase, stroller and portable crib (hotel did not have cribs), but I realize a smaller hotel might have a limited staff.

ROOM: 3 STARS...(another room location might have given it 4 STARS)
I had a junior suite, with king bed, sofa and slightly larger bathroom. Nice details on decor, bottled water, nice eco soaps, etc. (although soap, shampoo, etc. made in china, uggghhh). The bed was comfy enough too. Unfortunately, I had a rooftop view of the a/c units. And the very loud music, although charming, was DIRECTLY below my room in the dining area. The music did stop promptly at 10:00 p.m., which is normally not a problem for me at all, but with a toddler, I wished they would have advised me on a quieter room, perhaps on other side of hallway.

BREAKFAST: ONE STAR, MAYBE TWO... This was the one true disappointment for me. I felt it was not up to par with the hotel at all. Comparable to what you would find at a La Quinta. Coffee, tea, cereal, milk, bottled juices, apples, oranges, some stale croissants, blueberry muffins (store bought and not very good), and some bread with butter and jam options. I was hoping they might offer some type of protein (boiled eggs, yogurt, sausage). It doesn't have to be much, but TRY sometime maybe a little different with a regional twist.. Perhaps a regional sausage from Texas or homemade muffins? (mix batter night before and pop in oven early a.m.) A local, historic hotel should not mimic the cheap chain hotel for continental breakfast. In my opinion if you do not do breakfast to at least at a Hampton Inn level, don't bother. No one likes stale, blahhh food.

SUMMARY:
Overal, this is a wonderful historic hotel with a fabulous lobby and outdoor eating area, that lacks some fine tuning. Staff for the most part are very friendly (minus the aloof bartender). If I traveled without my toddler I might have given the overall rating on the hotel 4 stars instead of 3 stars. But witnessing the lack of assistance with my little guy in tow, I realized they need to do a little more fine tuning...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Julie M, Manager at Holland Hotel, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us. It is greatly appreciated that you took the time to point out some issues in which we failed to meet your expectations. We value our guests feedback and encourage it in order to improve our services and expectations of our guests. Your valuable feedback has provided us with many new training techniques and improvements.
We are a very small hotel but we do understand your situation, and it would be ideal if we had a bellman for reasons such as helping our guests with their precious children and cargo. Our staff is definitely looking into having some additional help for busy times, which would indeed provide extra service for our guests with children and such.
You have also provided some great feedback for our front desk staff to become more aware of our guests traveling with children and providing guests with the best room option possible considering all aspects, for example, our live music in the courtyard. Many of our guests like the north side of our building because other than music, it is quieter than our rooms that face street side. And on a side note on our bath amenities we do offer ECO Sciences, which is distributed by Custom Amenities, Inc out of Calgary, Alberta, Canada but thank you for your feedback on that note!
We have also taken into great consideration your inputs on breakfast and are really appreciative of your feedback. Management is currently revisiting our breakfast offerings.
In conclusion we would love to have you stay with us again just so you can see our fine tunings and improvements we have made since your last visit. Please contact me directly, I assure you we will meet and exceed your expectations.

Warm Regards
Julie Morton
julie@thehollandhoteltexas.com
Texas
Reviewed July 20, 2013

When I reserved the Penthouse Suite for the 4th of July, I guess I should have checked it out a little better, I was told it had a private Deck with a Hot Tub, and it was just a few steps up from the Third Floor Elevator doors. All these things are somewhat true, after you climb another 5 or 6 stairs, you turn right at the landing and you climb 5 or 6 more steps, then you get to a landing with a door to the Room, oh yeah, you'll need to climb another 5 or 6 stairs to actually enter the room. Once you've carried your luggage all the way up there, you find youself in a setting area, with no TV, not even a lamp, thats because there are no electrical outlets in there, so you can't sit there and use use you laptop for long, now there is a flat screen TV hanging on the wall in the bedroom, only issue I had with this is, if you want to watch TV you need to be in the Bed to do it, and while this is the most expensive room in the House, I'm also pretty sure it's the smallest, but that would have been OK, because we had the Deck and the Hot Tub. The Deck was nice with a bench, round Patio Table and Chairs, but it overlooks the A/C units on the Hotel Roofs and the roofs of several adjecent buildings, that's OK, just don't look down, look at the mountains and the veiw is fine. Well anyway by this time, we both kind of tired and thought we would give the Hot Tub a try, I raised the cover and the control panel read an inviting 104*, so we mixed ourselves a couple of Adult Beverge and jumped in, why there must have been at least 30 or 40 Jets in there, problem is that only about 6 or 7 of them actually do anything, I tried adjusting and fiddleing with the Jets, but to no avail.

While we really like the Holland Hotel, and the Alpine Area, this was definanly not what we have grown to expect from them, I'm sure we will give the Holland another chance in the future, just guess I expected a bit more, since we have spent over $1500.00 in just the past few months on a total of only 3 short visits, for that kind of money you tend to expect that things will work and that qetting to your room is not a Quest.

Julie M, Manager at Holland Hotel, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Thank you so much for your valuable feedback! We are saddened that we failed to be as great as you found us to be when you wrote your great review of us back in January. We love and encourage feedback from everyone but especially our repeat guests, even more seriously.
Thus the front desk staff has been retrained on thoroughly informing guests of the stair situation in accessing the Penthouse. Further, maintenance staff has been re-trained in how to leave the jets turned on after cleaning. They did indeed have many left in cleaning mode which prevented them from working at the time. Next time you visit, please contact me directly so can personally make sure your suite & your next stay is truly memorable-but in a good way, like your January stay. We are definitely looking forward to your next visit!

Warm Regards
Julie
julie@thehollandhoteltexas.com
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We chose The Holland because we were travelling on Amtrak to Big Bend and on to LA. The hotel is right across from the station. I can see plenty of 5 star reviews already but now I know why. Not only is it an historic and beautifully appointed hotel but the staff were just so friendly and helpful.

We had booked 3 rooms for one night but as one of the rooms was a suite with 2 bedrooms the General Manager said why don't we share, saving us money. Then once we had checked in we were each given a voucher for a free drink in the bar! This place oozes West Texas style. Once we'd dumped our bags we spent a great afternoon getting to know the equally friendly bar staff. We loved Alpine and especially The Holland and it's staff. Brilliant!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Julie M, Manager at Holland Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
We are so happy to hear what a great time you had on your recent stay with us! We value our guests' feedback in order to keep exceeding our guests' expectations. Also thank you for sharing your lovely pictures!

Warn Regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alpine
The Maverick Inn
Quarter Circle 7 Hotel
Quarter Circle 7 Hotel
#5 of 13 in Alpine
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Alpine Southeast

Been to Holland Hotel? Share your experiences!